Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Taurus 85

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by NGK22, Mar 19, 2013.

1. NGK22

NGK22 Portlaand New Member

Anybody have any thoughts about a Taurus model 85 snub 38? I've been eyeing one at a local pawn shop for a few months but can't bring myself to buy a Taurus.... Any thoughts?

2. mat33

mat33 Portland, OR Active Member

What's drawing you to it for months if you hate Taurus? If it was in good condition with tight lockwork and a smooth trigger/cylinder latch at a low price, I wouldn't hesitate. But if it's been on the shelf for months, how good a deal could it be?

3. AlphaCoyote

AlphaCoyote Oh, I get around. New Member

Had one for a long time. Went bang every time. Internet chatter is often nuts by nuts.

4. PuddleMonkey

PuddleMonkey Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Had a 605 that would lock up after 20-25 shots, every time. Someone here sold it to me without mentioning the issue.

5. JohnnyD

JohnnyD Vancouver Bang Bang

My brother hasn't had any issues with his 85 and they do have great warrentys I'd say go for it.

6. HuckFin

HuckFin mt rainier Active Member

Every one with a taurus 85 I've talked to liked theirs. I have 2 of the 605's and no problems.

7. pdxPope

pdxPope East Multnomah Co. (the DMZ) Member

I had one of the ultralights for a couple of years. Put maybe 300 rounds down the pipe. It always went 'bang' at the appropriate time, but it was a little unplesant to shoot. Good carry gun, lousy target pistol.

-JP

8. pioneer461

pioneer461 Columbia County, Oregon Active Member

I've had a Taurus 85 for over a decade, until my wife "stole" it from me for her carry gun. Very reliable, and when stoked with modern self defense ammo, a serious self defense tool. Many folks who have never owned a Taurus, love to bash them because they see or hear other people bash them and want to appear to be "informed." The other Taurus I own is the 617, .357 mag, also rock solid and reliable.

As with any used firearm, or anything else for that matter, closely inspect it before buying. If you happen to know a gunsmith or armorer, take him or her with you to check it out.

rocky3, slind, AlphaCoyote and 3 others like this.
  9. Pandaz3

Pandaz3 Cornelius, Oregon NRA Lifetime Member Platinum Supporter Gold Supporter Bronze Supporter

I also have a 605, had it 7 or 8 years. I have a speedloader for it too. I'm keeping it, and I am happy with Taurus quality.

10. Mainsail

Mainsail Puget Sound Active Member

I picked mine up around 2004 from one of the internet auction sites; a dealer in FL had one he listed as used, but was only pre-owned. I paid $180 for it. I carried it for running and hiking for a while, but now it's been replaced by Springfield XDs in .45 ACP.

All in all I have a very high opinion of the gun with a bold-print but it isn't a gun for extended shooting. I took it along while I was breaking in my XDs (someone had given me a few boxes of .38 reloads) and the Taurus started to choke after round 70. The cylinder began to bind as the gap filled with crud (reloads maybe?) and after that I had to thumb the hammer back to get the cylinder to rotate. I would, and do, trust it for self defense, but it doesn't like getting too dirty.

11. sixfoot674

sixfoot674 canby Member

ive had a model 85 for a while but stopped using it as my CCW. the thumb button for unlocking the cylnder stuck in the forward position. Taurus warranty dept. is great, but still, I bought a revolver figuring that it'd be a non issue. now it S&W all the way.

12. jib

jib Central OR Active Member

I had a Taurus 85 SS 2" I fired over 500 rnds through it with out a misfire.
    Now my wife has it :( I gave her the choice between the 85 and a S&W 36 ND 1 7/8" barrel, she shot both and chose the Taurus.

13. JohnnyD

JohnnyD Vancouver Bang Bang

Anybody have any experience with the 85 poly protector? Was thinking about picking one up for the wife