JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The reason the extractor fell out of my Walther PPS was that I had fed 2 rounds in the chamber by hand one at a time. The Walther is not the problem, using it wrong is the problem. You should never hand feed one round at a time into the chamber of any semi-auto pistol. It can and will damage most extractors, and most manuals say you should not hand feed rounds. The extractor is forced to do something it is not designed to do with manually fed rounds, it has to jump over the brass to be in it's proper position and that is something it is not designed to ever do.
I have found many people that have never heard this before and I want to make sure they don't make the same mistake I did.

True for sure, at least on some auto pistols,
I had to quit dropping a round of snake-shot into my 1911's after I broke a couple of extractors on two different guns. Now I feed shells in via the magazine.

The reason the extractor fell out of my Walther PPS was that I had fed 2 rounds in the chamber by hand one at a time. The Walther is not the problem, using it wrong is the problem. You should never hand feed one round at a time into the chamber of any semi-auto pistol. It can and will damage most extractors, and most manuals say you should not hand feed rounds. The extractor is forced to do something it is not designed to do with manually fed rounds, it has to jump over the brass to be in it's proper position and that is something it is not designed to ever do.
I have found many people that have never heard this before and I want to make sure they don't make the same mistake I did.

I've only been shooting autos for 51 years so my opinion may be due to lack of experience. Any auto extractor that will malfunction or break because it jumps over the rim of a cartrdge is ill designed or of poor quality.
As to Tarus:
I've only used 2, both had to go back to the Factory, one was a safety recall, the other a 454 Raging Bull spit lead out 3 sides of the gun. I was the bystander that noticed this by being struck in the face and nearly lost an eye.
The fact that thier repair shop is obviously overwhelmed is a BIG CLUE
ALL Taruses are junk!

I could not make it to the range. The main computer at work had a motherboard die. Was running around all day looking for parts.
Had my range bag with me, I wanted to shoot the computer several times, but got it working. All I could find was an Intel Core7. The secretary has the fastest computer in the shop, and the most expensive! Might not get to the range again for a month now. The holidays put things on hold for awhile.
Exactly why I got out of the IT racket!! Problems always seemed to crop up when I was on call.

I've only been shooting autos for 51 years so my opinion may be due to lack of experience. Any auto extractor that will malfunction or break because it jumps over the rim of a cartrdge is ill designed or of poor quality.
As to Tarus:
I've only used 2, both had to go back to the Factory, one was a safety recall, the other a 454 Raging Bull spit lead out 3 sides of the gun. I was the bystander that noticed this by being struck in the face and nearly lost an eye.
The fact that thier repair shop is obviously overwhelmed is a BIG CLUE
ALL Taruses are junk!

Since 1911's are known to have an extractor problem when ammo is fed without using a magazine I will assume you have never used one
in all your "51 years or more".
Thanks for your general expertise on everything You are a much needed addition to this bubblegumry

I bought my father a .357 Taurus around 20 years before he passed away, his grandson now has it and it still runs flawlessly. I own a "couple" of high end .45's and also a PT 1911. Yes there are differences, but there are also lots of $$,s distance between them, and so far after a few thousand rounds down her pipe,, no issues.

The 1989 "Gun Digest" 43rd annual edition did a side by side comparison with the Taurus 92 & 99 against it's Beretta counterpart, and after a many thousand round test they found the Taurus to be more accurate, possible due to it's tighter milling than it's military twin, AND as reliable. There lays in the gun rack, a beat up old PT 99 AF that has been dragged through hell and back on many pack and fishing trips that I have, and would bet my life on. Say what you will about them, but those that I own will kill you just as dead, and as reliably as those more elite pretty lady's in my rack that cost many hundreds more, and if I didn't trust those that I own, I wouldn't bet my life on them.

I have a 24/7 and a 709. No problems. In fact, the 24/7 has performed exceedingly well. On the other hand, I had a PT140 that I didn't get along with all that well. Still, I'd be perfectly happy to get another Taurus if the opportunity was right.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top