JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Didn't think this was too serious at first, but wrote Taurus with the picture and they had me send the gun to them for repair. I have since reloaded all this brass. The gun has been gone for one week. I hope they let me know what caused it, but they may just repair it and say nothing. Not worried about this brass now, but after 3 or 4 reloads they would be pretty beat up.
View attachment 189485

I understand your point, but I never have had a single issue with either of mine. The same could be said about Kimber more and more these days. At a much more expensive rate also? I have a few of both and enjoy them all. Heck even my old commander needed an attitude adjustment once. The Shooters bible did a side by side 1k round comparison of the Beretta and the Taurus clone,, care to guess which outperformed which? I guess my point is, know what your getting for the price,, and know that even a Maserati needs a trip to the mechanic now and then.

Yeah I suppose this is not totally unexpected. When you can pay anywhere from $350 to $1200 for the same type of weapon, you do get what you pay for. However I have also had good luck with Taurus in the past and yes anything can fail or need a tune-up. The only other gun I had to send in for repair was a Kahr that I thought was new when I purchased it, and it turned out to be an old piece of junk that the factory would not even repair. I traded it back in for a new Ruger Single Six.
Still waiting for Taurus to send my 709 back. Except for this brass dent the gun works really well. I like the size and weight for carry. Carrying my Walther PPS .40 for now, but it is heavier and fits too tightly in the holster.
Looking to get a .44 magnum or .454 Taurus revolver sometime in the future.

It has been two weeks today since I sent off the 709. I called Taurus yesterday and they said they are replacing the entire slide and they are waiting for the part. Brazil is digging the iron ore to build the slide at this very moment!:s0155:

WOW, has it been this long since I sent in the 709? I still had some problems with it when it came back. But I will give it some more breakin time.
Sending my Walther PPS in for repair now. Extractor fell out!

Sending my Walther PPS in for repair now. Extractor fell out!

Intersting.
I bought the 740 Slim because I could not get a .40 PPS to last beyond 250 rounds.
I have owned 3 in the last 18 months. Smith & Wesson gave me 2 replacement guns and then on the third sent me a reimbursement check for the purchase price.
The first one barfed the extractor and spring out on the ground never to be seen again. They repaired it and sent it back. It fired 8 (yes eight) rounds and barfed the new extractor and parts.
They sent me a replacement gun (cool, thanks) and it fired 196 rounds and broke the slide latch spring. They fixed it and it went 154 rounds and puked the extractor, just like the first one. These guns were 1,500 serial numbers apart.
They sent me another new gun. It went 242 rounds and broke the slide latch spring. I asked for a refund and they sent it.
The customer service was great, the product was crap though. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat if I knew it would last.
The Taursu 740 is everything the Walther was not. Reliable, reliable, reliable.
Good luck with both of yours!

All 3 of the Taurus revolvers I bought in the late 1980s repeatedly broke parts.. I had bought them as shooters for my wife to practice with as her CCWs are S & W revolvers.. the lifetime warranty looked good but I had to repeatedly send them back and that was too much even back then. Today it would quickly be more than the price of the guns

As far as CCW I would never trust one..that warranty won't do you much good as you stand toe to toe with a crazed attacker and the gun goes CLICK instead of BANG

I used to spend more time telling people that Taurus stuff was junky,
I know I don't want any of their stuff... I do know that I have been returning too much S&W stuff, even with them sending a free return label, I find it appalling that S&W now seem diminished in my eyes

I have a Taurus PT145 that I have fired many hundreds of rounds through with no problems at all.
An inexpensive weapon may not have a long service life, but it should function properly for most of that life, long or short. You still need SOMETHING for your money!
I will keep the repaired 709. I will take it to the range soon and give it another try.

When the Walther PPS comes back repaired I just may sell it. The problem, I believe, is poor design. The way the extractor is held in place is from the presser of one small spring with a small pivot point at the end. It doesn't take much for that spring assembly to pop up even a fraction of an inch and cause the extractor to fall out of place. There needs to be a pivot point on that extractor that cannot just pop out of place.

I purchased a Colt New Agent .45 to replace the Walther PPS. It is just as thin as the Walther and over all just about the same size and just slightly heavier. Any gun can break, but I hope to have better luck with this gun.

Colt453.jpg

I think you are correct in your thinkig that the PPS extractor is a poor design. What is more interesting is that the 9MM versions seem to problem free. Over on the Walther boards you seldom here of a PPS 9 with a problem, the .40 on the other hand, is rife with complaints. Heck, Smith and Wesson customer service told me the gun should never have been offered in .40 because of the higher pressures. Makes sense to me.
That Colt will be around longer than you or me.

I wrote about this issue on the Walther forum and didn't get much sympathy. One guy seemed to be on my side, but kind of changed his mind after a awhile. I really do not like getting into heated disscussions on forums, it never goes well. One "expert" said that the .40 caliber round has no more pressure than the 9mm. Right or wrong I wasn't going to join that discussion either.
I was told I probably did not clean my gun and that I shot crappy handloads, etc.....The usual stuff you have to ignore. I still don't like to say that all Walthers are no good, all I can talk about is the one I own and the problems it has. You can find every opinion that exists if you spend enough time in the forums and be attacked from every side, so you have to tread lightly!

I wrote about this issue on the Walther forum and didn't get much sympathy. One guy seemed to be on my side, but kind of changed his mind after a awhile. I really do not like getting into heated disscussions on forums, it never goes well. One "expert" said that the .40 caliber round has no more pressure than the 9mm. Right or wrong I wasn't going to join that discussion either.
I was told I probably did not clean my gun and that I shot crappy handloads, etc.....The usual stuff you have to ignore. I still don't like to say that all Walthers are no good, all I can talk about is the one I own and the problems it has. You can find every opinion that exists if you spend enough time in the forums and be attacked from every side, so you have to tread lightly!

Actually, he's pretty close to accurate on the pressures. SAAMI specs for the .40S&W are 35,000 PSI and the specs for the 9mm are 34,084. Fairly close. Every gun has its detractors. Always will. Even COlt has QC problems...

Going to the range with the New Agent .45 tomorrow. Hoping for the best. I liked that Walther PPS. I know Colt has a good rep, I though Walther did too.
So with less expectations I will just have fun and see how it goes. Never get enough range time and I always look forward to it.
Have a bunch of .45 reloads to send down range.

The reason the extractor fell out of my Walther PPS was that I had fed 2 rounds in the chamber by hand one at a time. The Walther is not the problem, using it wrong is the problem. You should never hand feed one round at a time into the chamber of any semi-auto pistol. It can and will damage most extractors, and most manuals say you should not hand feed rounds. The extractor is forced to do something it is not designed to do with manually fed rounds, it has to jump over the brass to be in it's proper position and that is something it is not designed to ever do.
I have found many people that have never heard this before and I want to make sure they don't make the same mistake I did.

Extractor.jpg
The discussion is beginning once again concerning the Walther PPS .40 extractor. Another extractor fell out of a PPS .40 and this time the guy said he never once hand fed a shell in the chamber without using the magazine to feed it. I truly believe the pin that holds the extractor in is an inadequate design. It can jump out of place allowing the extractor to be released from the weapon.
I have written Walther and expect no positive result, but I thought it is worth a try.
I believe more spring pressure or a slightly longer end on the pivot point or both could fix this problem. But Walther is, like most companies, moving on to their new designs and don't give much thought to "small issues" in the older designs. If it's not a safety issue they will just deal with it by repairing the ones that fall out.
I might get more spring pressure by using a very small bolt/screw and place it in the top of the spring and gain just a slight more pressure. Think I will attempt it before I go to the range this Saturday.

I could not make it to the range. The main computer at work had a motherboard die. Was running around all day looking for parts.
Had my range bag with me, I wanted to shoot the computer several times, but got it working. All I could find was an Intel Core7. The secretary has the fastest computer in the shop, and the most expensive! Might not get to the range again for a month now. The holidays put things on hold for awhile.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top