JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I would like to hear the good, bad and ugly regarding the Taurus Model 66 6 shot version from those who have owned one or more. My understanding is that the 6 shot versions were discontinued around 2001 but I have no info on when the particual one I am looking at was built.

Back in the day (late '80's) I had a blued 4" 6 shot 66, lockwork was smooth, rivaling Smith's of the day, as I recall accuracy was better than I was capable of doing myself. The older Taurus revolvers were very decent specimens for the price. Provided the lockwork and timing are in order and the price is reasonable, I think you'd be satisfied with the performance and quality.

Just one ole guys opinion and worth every penny paid for it :D

Just imagine a S&W with a Ruger feeling action and Charter arms grade machining. They work but I doubt it would ever become your favorite. Don't over pay and you'll probably be happy if you're not expecting perfection. I've owned a couple of the earlier versions. I wouldn't touch a newer one.

Not sure what exact model I owned. 80's vintage, blued ,fixed rear sight , 4" , 6 shot .357 purchased used for $125 in the mid 90's.
Loved it, should have never sold it, would pay $400 to get it back today and smile all the way home.
Maybe I got lucky.

I bought my dad one around 1990. It was a blued 6" . I had read all the articles saying they were basically a S&W, made on S&W machinery in Brazil. It was a pile of crap. Cylinder didn't index correctly, loose lockup, and horrible trigger. If you pulled through the double action pull and stopped at the right point, it would actually stop right there with the hammer part way back , even while taking your finger off the trigger. Swore I would never buy another Taurus, and haven't.

I bought my dad one around 1990. It was a blued 6" . I had read all the articles saying they were basically a S&W, made on S&W machinery in Brazil. It was a pile of crap. Cylinder didn't index correctly, loose lockup, and horrible trigger. If you pulled through the double action pull and stopped at the right point, it would actually stop right there with the hammer part way back , even while taking your finger off the trigger. Swore I would never buy another Taurus, and haven't.
Play with the bull get the hammer stuck halfway back!

I have 3 taurus revovers all work great 0 malfunctions, not a 66 but quality is way above charter arms..

20180612_090406.jpg

:p:p:p

I sold this 689 to another forum member a year or two ago. Easily the most attractive Taurus I've ever seen. Late 80's I believe. Poor mans Python. It had it's idiosyncrasies but was a pretty good and reliable shooter.

3184A38E-6698-4538-9330-9E4E87BCDE76.jpeg F06FF11C-6D62-4605-A51D-1ED17E460AAF.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top