JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So,, I finally got my hands wrapped around one of these new 45's and thought I would post what I found.
This was purchased by someone that trusted me to dissect it and send the first rounds through the tube.
Having owned several .45's and 9mm's, Taurus and Colt and many others,, I was more than eager to test drive it. At a glance, it looked like good unit, but more info was needed,, you know what I mean.
After disassembly and reassembly, it was off to the range in the back 40.
Ran through several different loads, from FMJ's to some of my best hollow's and can only say that after some of the negative stuff that I've heard from the "if it ain't a colt crowd" I can attest that it performed flawlessly through the hundred or so rounds that I fed it.
No hangs or jams regardless what was ran through it. The trigger was better than most, it felt like approx 3.5 pounds and was crisp.
As far as accuracy, it was soft ball on at 75 feet, even for an old fart like me.
The sights on this unit were fixed, Are there adjustable models? In a nut shell, there you have it,, A weapon that is of excellent quality, good accuracy out of the case and of reasonable price. I've paid more for less and although I wouldn't trade away any that I now own,, Im just saying that all the negative stuff Ive heard from the "if it ain't a colt crowd",, it didn't apply to this one and there may be one in my future,, soon.:s0155:

I have had 2 of these pistols and both were great guns. Only issue that I had with them was that the firing pin hole was chamfered a bit much and the primers would flow back into the firing pin hole. While no problems resulted from this, it was a little unnerving. One of the pistols, I got used and the previous owner (a friend of mine) was able to get the slide warrantied. The other gun I sold before I had a chance to get anything warrantied on it (sucks when you need the $$$). Over all, though, I really like them. They are a great value out of the box and have ran pretty well. Only had some issues with some of my reloads, but I think that was more my fault than the gun's. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one again as long as the FPH looks good.

This was purchased by someone that trusted me to dissect it and send the first rounds through the tube.

As someone who has worked for everything I own (blue collar style...and I know there are others out there), I would never buy a gun (or anything else new for that matter) and not be the first person to shoot/use it so this little statement sort of stuck in my craw.

To the OP, I also own a Taurus PT1911 and it shoots a flawless as you say with factory rounds, have only had difficulty with my reloads but I think that is my fault more than the gun... apologies if I have hijacked your thread

To the moderators, if this needs to be a new thread, please move it from here to it's own place.

Back to where I started though... what possible reason(s) could there be to purchase a new firearm and have/let someone else be the first to fire it?

Two that come to mind that I wouldn't count are:

(1) it is purchased as a gift so that person it naturally the first shooter and

(2) an old war rifle purchased on gun broker where they recommend a gunsmith check it out and fire it first, this second one isn't really "new" though.

As someone who has worked for everything I own (blue collar style...and I know there are others out there), I would never buy a gun (or anything else new for that matter) and not be the first person to shoot/use it so this little statement sort of stuck in my craw.

To the OP, I also own a Taurus PT1911 and it shoots a flawless as you say with factory rounds, have only had difficulty with my reloads but I think that is my fault more than the gun... apologies if I have hijacked your thread

Back to where I started though... what possible reason(s) could there be to purchase a new firearm and have/let someone else be the first to fire it?end quote

I have purchased several over the years and have let others fire the first rounds through them. To me it is not that big of a deal to go buy a firearm with my "blue collar earned money" and let others have the first crack at them. I guess it is all in how materialistic you are and how much you value others. The most recent example was a forum member wanted to see if anyone had fired a particular revolver he was interested in so I offered to let him come over and try it out, he was the first one to pull the trigger and it was a brand new one. I had never even met him before but had no issue with letting him be the first, not that big a deal to me.

To the OP the Taurus is a fine pistol but I dont believe any of the 1911's have adjustable sites. The one I have is the SS top of the line and they are not adjustable without a pusher, I also have had zero issue with it.

My brother and i argue over taurus vs colt all of the time. He wanted me to buy the colt lightweight commander (MSRP at $999) w/out the beavertail or commander hammer. I defied him by getting a used taurus pt 1911 for $400 and Never suffered any issues including hammer bites or a face full of casings. Yet he still disapprove of me owning a brazillian made 1911. The gun is great intro level gun with alot of features. The trigger crisp and light compared to my springfield bare bone mil spec. Plus the taurus had all of the upgrades i wanted.

I've upgraded a springfield before and you'll be surprised how much money goes into it just for the simple upgrades like beavertails, hammer, trigger job, and polished feed ramps. My taurus shoots great. :s0155:

At the price point used I'd rather pick up a new RIA, new I'd rather a Springfield.

So what is the reasoning behind that? Is it because you want to just have a basic 1911 made in the Philopines (RIA) or that you want another base 1911 made in Brazil (Springfield). For the money I chose to buy the Taurus as it has already had most of the work done to it that most people end up paying a gunsmith to do to another brand. For the record I have the Taurus, a RIA higher end model, a Springfield and a few Kimbers. For the money the Taurus is by far the best bang for the buck IMO.

I picked up a PT1911ALR from a board member here, and absolutely love it.

I have mentioned the 2 upgrades I did to it on other posts here, but just let me say that for my money, the Taurus is a great firearm, and the Kimber I wanted is now a lot further down the list of firearms I want to own......

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

"LIFE IS NOT A JOURNEY TO THE GRAVE...WITH THE
INTENTION OF ARRIVING SAFELY IN A PRETTY AND WELL
PRESERVED BODY, BUT RATHER TO SKID IN BROADSIDE,
THOROUGHLY USED UP, TOTALLY WORN OUT, AND LOUDLY
PROCLAIMING----WOW----WHAT A RIDE!!!"

I just picked up a NIB Taurus 1911 SS w/ 5" barrel a short time ago, and it shoots like a dream. It's my first 1911, but I've shot a few before (Colt, Kimber, etc), and I was extremely pleased with the accuracy, trigger pull, and functionality overall. It's a comfortable gun, plain and simple. It shot every round I put through it, including the cheap stuff.

The only issue I had was in taking it apart for cleaning. Having never owned a 1911, I had to finally consult the manual in order to take it apart... didn't realize that the recoil spring comes out the front! I'm too used to Glocks... :pound: Newbie mistake, I know :s0114:. Anyway, I finally cleaned it up and put it back together, but now I have a bigger issue: with the magazines at full capacity (8 rounds), they will not seat properly in the magwell.

Let me clarify by saying that I did not disassemble the magazines at all; they are stock Wilson Combat mags. With 8 rounds loaded, it seems that there is some resistance pushing down on the top round in the magazine from the slide. I can force it in place, but then the mag release gets very stiff. However, when I load 7 in the magazine, it snaps in without any problems. This issue happens with all 3 mags, but it never came up when shooting it at the range... anyone have any idea what I did wrong here? Maybe my reassembly is somehow screwed up? :confused:

Fortunately, another great thing about Taurus is their lifetime warranty. I'll be sending it in to them to work on it, and turnaround is expected to be 1 week with no charge for expedited shipping. In spite of the issue I've come across, I still think the Taurus is a solid gun. I love it, and once it's back in functional shape, It'll be my EDC gun.

(P.S.- Anyone with ideas as to what it could be that's causing my magazine foul-ups, I'm all ears!)

I have purchased several over the years and have let others fire the first rounds through them. To me it is not that big of a deal to go buy a firearm with my "blue collar earned money" and let others have the first crack at them. I guess it is all in how materialistic you are and how much you value others. The most recent example was a forum member wanted to see if anyone had fired a particular revolver he was interested in so I offered to let him come over and try it out, he was the first one to pull the trigger and it was a brand new one. I had never even met him before but had no issue with letting him be the first, not that big a deal to me.
I hadn't thought of it from a "materialism" aspect, I guess I can see that, so thank you for your input.

To the OP... again, apologies for thread hi-jacking

"YOU COME A LONG WAY, BABIE," is truly the way I feel that Taurus has done with there product line in the last 10-12 years. Seems to work well, priced fairly and stand up for there warrantee.. +1 ( IMHO)

@rpatton,, IT WAS MY 23 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER,, she also has killed many elk and deer, has a chp and wanted the "old man" to have first crack at it and I felt honored that she asked me to run it through the paces, sorry if i posted where you feel is the wrong location on this forum, any more questions? And Deadeye,, I wasn't sure about the adjustable sights, thanks.

@rpatton,, IT WAS MY 23 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER,, she also has killed many elk and deer, has a chp and wanted the "old man" to have first crack at it and I felt honored that she asked me to run it through the paces, sorry if i posted where you feel is the wrong location on this forum, any more questions? And Deadeye,, I wasn't sure about the adjustable sights, thanks.

NOT YOU... ME, I was concerned that I had posted/replied in the wrong place, I too would be honored if my 22 y/o daughter ask me to put the first few down the pipe now that you mention it. . . boy am I being edumacated . . .

The Taurus 1911 is ok, but it ain't a COLT :D

This is the kind of statements I dont understand. Ive had colts, springers, dan wessons, llamas, thompsons, ect, ect. While there are quality differences between them I just dont understand the whole colt thing. The colts I have owned seemed about the same quality as the springers. Nothing special. In fact, my Dan wesson blows both of them away.

I picked up a used pt1911 a couple months ago. I was very impressed at the quality when i got it. It seemed to have all the extras and a ramped barell to boot. Shooting it was even more impressive. Very accurate and good groupings. For the price that these 1911s are going for it is a very good deal!

I might as well bring it up before someoone else does. MIM parts. That what the pt1911s are made from. Realistically, does it really matter. Ive broken parts on colts that wernt MIM. As far as MIM parts, as long as it doesnt break, its fine by me.

This is the kind of statements I dont understand. Ive had colts, springers, dan wessons, llamas, thompsons, ect, ect. While there are quality differences between them I just dont understand the whole colt thing. The colts I have owned seemed about the same quality as the springers. Nothing special. In fact, my Dan wesson blows both of them away.

I picked up a used pt1911 a couple months ago. I was very impressed at the quality when i got it. It seemed to have all the extras and a ramped barell to boot. Shooting it was even more impressive. Very accurate and good groupings. For the price that these 1911s are going for it is a very good deal!

I might as well bring it up before someoone else does. MIM parts. That what the pt1911s are made from. Realistically, does it really matter. Ive broken parts on colts that wernt MIM. As far as MIM parts, as long as it doesnt break, its fine by me.

Did ya notice the big grin at the end of my quote? I also have several makes of 1911's and like them all. Just having a little fun man.

with today's manufacturing process's any one can copy the 1911.in the early 1900's COLT and Savage and several other's were put through the paces.out of all of them COLT fired flawlessly 6000 rounds after repeated abuse.thanks to good ol' JMB design .the other's fell out quickly and as for savage it had 37 different failures.so there is the "if it aint a colt thing". on that note i have fired wilson combats,colts,charles daily,taurus,union S&S,springfield's. they all felt just about the same.i dont need fancy nurling, dovetail sights and all the so called "tactical" bs.i personally like colts and will continue to like them and buy them, in todays world almost ALL guns are a matter of personal preference.

USMC,, you know me well enough already to know that my daily carry is my commander, personally I too like colts and yes that's a personal opinion. Im just saying that right out of the box from the factory with nothing left to do but pull the trigger, and for the lifetime guarantee,, and the money, and you know I could go on and on all day about "any subject", Perhaps you should stop on by and take this one for a test drive,, in fact I'm throwing down the gauntlet you young whippersnapper you!