Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Taurus 24 / 7 Opinions

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by redclk430, Feb 23, 2010.

1. redclk430

redclk430 Portland, OR New Member

I'm thinking of getting a Taurus 24/7 in 9mm to use as a gun that I can put aside for a bug-out kit I'm building.

Cost and Capacity are my big concerns (I already have a Sig P250 .45 for home defense)

The Price for the Taurus is well within my range and I think 9mm ammo would be best if for no other reason it's very common.

How do they perform? I think they came out in 2001 so I believe there are plenty of options for lasers, holsters, etc.

2. tcs#1

tcs#1 oregon Member

When taurus 1st came out with the 24/7 & Millinium series of autos they were plagued with problems

I've heard that the fine folks at S&W went down to Brazil and showed them how to build 'em

Problems solved

For a casual shooting/ plinking gun I don't think you can go wrong and they do have a working mans price tag

However if you plan on doing alot of shooting you might want to step up abit as I don't know what the longevity of the Taurus is as far as 1000's of rounds are concerned

I got a heck of a deal on a Glock 34 last year and never looked back

If I hadn't gotten that deal I think I probably would look at the Stoeger Cougar 1st
    Taurus 2nd

3. tonyspdx

tonyspdx Gresham, OR Member

I had 24/7 in 45acp. It was great untill it started to have FTE, FTL, stuck slide. The slide jammed so bad I had to send it back to Taurus. They fixed it, but I was so tainted by the problems I sold the pistol. IMHO Taurus's best auto made is the PT92, never had an issue with the one I had.

4. kenf729

kenf729 Forest Grove Oregon Member

I have the MilPro 45 ACP, one thing to remember just like any new gun it needs a real good cleaning before going out the first time...I've had mind for over a year and thousands of rounds down the pipe, and so far everytime I pull the trigger it goes bang, even on my reloads...

I have found a down side, sice I carry this handgun daily the bluing is starting to show some waring on the edges...

other than that no problems..

ken

5. ericlee748

ericlee748 Seattle New Member

I bought one last year (not sure what generation that makes it).

On paper, it's a hard pistol to beat. It's pretty lightweight, good price, has a decocker, 12-round capacity, good looking design, pretty good trigger, etc.

But, I've had some ejection and feeding issues as well - the issues seem to get worse as the gun gets hotter.

As someone said in this thread, I think for casual range usage I think it is fine. For personal/home defense, I think you should probably look at something that has been more battle-tested (i.e. issued to mil or leo). Glock and SW are hard to beat from that standpoint.

The 24/7 was the first pistol I ever bought, so I like to keep it for sentimental reasons, otherwise I would have sold it by now.

6. bnr32gtr

bnr32gtr Vancouver, WA Member

My dad and I have owned a few and love the guns! Taurus warranty can't be beat and the OSS improves on the gun further.

I would not hesitate to recommend a Taurus, in any flavor, to anyone looking for a reliable, affordable handgun.

7. Ding

Ding Lighter Side of Oz Active Member

I have a 24/7 in 45 and it works perfect.

8. robertg

robertg Sandy Oregon Silver Supporter Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

I have a 24/7 in 9mm, I've never had any problems. It's about 4 years old and I've put maybe 500 or 600 rounds thru it.
    It fits my hand really well and it has a good balance.
    So far so good.

9. stepdad

stepdad Ephrata, Washington Member

I do not own one. That said, the Taurus 24/7's are so far under the radar they aren't even talked about or discussed. What's that tell ya? I've been doing the "gun thing" for thirty years and I've owned two Taurus semi-auto's and both were lemon's. Their revolver's are a different story...I've owned many with no complaints.

10. redclk430

redclk430 Portland, OR New Member

Thanks for the info everyone!

I think based what I've read so far that I'm going to continue looking at other options. Maybe I'll just buy another Sig lol

The price on the Taurus looks really good when comparing it to other pistols with the same specs. But I've heard of more then a few jamming and slide issues so far which kinda scares me with this type of gun.