JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I really like this little pistol. I have taken it to the range 2 times. It is capable of keyholed shots at 7 yards in the right hands. The problem is elevation. I have used it up to the highest setting and still need 3" to make center of target (POA) at the 7 yard frames. I can also use some right windage. I called the service center and they would replace the sights (no help) or I can send it in for an accuracy check.
Anybody got any input that might help. The turnaround for the factory return is 6 weeks. I don't really care. I am no hurry on any of this. Just wanted to throw it out for discussion.
FYI. Functions well on reloads and factory. Feels good in the hand. Light weight, you can carry it around in your pocket and forget it is there.

I really like this little pistol. I have taken it to the range 2 times. It is capable of keyholed shots at 7 yards in the right hands. The problem is elevation. I have used it up to the highest setting and still need 3" to make center of target (POA) at the 7 yard frames. I can also use some right windage. I called the service center and they would replace the sights (no help) or I can send it in for an accuracy check.
Anybody got any input that might help. The turnaround for the factory return is 6 weeks. I don't really care. I am no hurry on any of this. Just wanted to throw it out for discussion.
FYI. Functions well on reloads and factory. Feels good in the hand. Light weight, you can carry it around in your pocket and forget it is there.

I have a 709 and it shoots fine. But I had the same problem with my PT111 I sent it to the factory thinking it would be gone for 6 weeks, well it was gone for 10 days and shoots great now. Some of Taurus front sights or too long and it causes you to aim lower than what your sight picture shows. If I were you I would send it back, its easy, and you should have your gun back soon and its accuracy much better.

The usual definition of "keyholed shots" means that the bullet hits the target sideways and leaves a keyhole-shaped hole in the target. Is that what you mean?

I too intend to buy this gun, so I am grateful for your experience. Now, can you simply file the front sight down a bit?.........................elsullo :confused:

I may have done that earlier description incorrectly. The comp shooter shot my pistol at two different targets and on both targets hit the same general area, 7 o'clock, with two rounds that cut the same hole. Still 3" low and slightly off center. The point was having a different shooter on the pistol to verify the elevation and windage issue before contacting Taurus.
I was away last week and had no internet connections to reply.
I have called Taurus and they do an at home pickup by Fedx right away. They were helpful and positive on the phone.

I would think you would like this pistol. It functioned well with reloads and factory both. I use the same reload on my 9mm stuff and it works well. There is a local retailer in Gresham that was to get a couple 709 models in to the store last week. I have a friend looking at the same pistol.
As far as filing down the front sight blade. Yes you can or have the local gunner do it but with the pistol being new, it is better off done at the service center where it gets attended to by them and accurized a little bit more than when it comes off the factory production line.