JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So there are lots of reviews for the Taurus 709 and 740 slim. About 60% say it's amazing and have a thousand rounds and almost a year without issue, 30% say they just got it and are happy (and never report back), and 10% report owning the firearm and having trouble after many rounds through the gun. Most of these reviews though are from 2010, 2011, and a very select few from 2012... and most are from relatively new owners. No one claiming beyond a year of ownership.

So, the gun has been out for at least 3 and a half years. Could some one owning a Taurus 709 or 740 slim for longer than a year or well over a thousand rounds report on how it's held up over the years and/or abuse... or are they all broken in a warranty pile at Taurus?

...and please if you haven't owned this specific Taurus take any negativity somewhere else so this can be kept informative.

I bought a 709 last month, also bought a Glock 27.
Tested them on the range.
I'm keeping the Glock for sure.

The 709 trigger creep feels like 6 inches long.
I didn't like the accuracy.
2 magazines of 9mm through it.
Otherwise, looks to be a good sturdy slimline gun.

I have a pt740 40cal slim it is a good every day cc there are a lot of people that just hate on Taurus. The only problem with that model is it took about 200 rounds to break it in I like the external safety makes me feel better because I like to carry with one in the chamber. Taurus calls it a pocket pistol I think it was a little big for that but with a crossbreed holster in my summer shorts and tee-shirt it was not noticeable on me. Ow and it was one of the only pistols I could use with gloves on
It is accurate, reliable, good all-around gun.
I carry a PT145 right now I just like the 45 better.

Could some one owning a Taurus 709 or 740 slim for longer than a year or well over a thousand rounds report on how it's held up over the years and/or abuse...
I bought a 709 last month

Nobody reads anymore...

For what it's worth, I have a Glock 27 as well as this firearm, similarly to you. Sometimes I want to wear slimmer jeans or just in general have less weight on me. This firearm fits the bill. The Glock 27 trigger is in a completely different ball game of course, but it lacks a lot of pocket carry features many seek out and it's a 1/4" thicker

Personally: If you're not familiar with the current similarly priced competition (Ruger LC9, Keltec PF9, S&W shield) then you're missing the comparison. I haven't tried the S&W Shield since it's pretty new to market and hard to find right now, but I have tried the LC9 and PF9. If you haven't compared the trigger pull and features of those two to this firearm, then you really can't judge it. A Glock 27, although really close in dimensions, really does fall into the compact category.

So no more reviews of the 709 and 740 please unless it's about dealing with the firearm for a long period of time!

I have a pt740 40cal slim it is a good every day cc there are a lot of people that just hate on Taurus. The only problem with that model is it took about 200 rounds to break it in I like the external safety makes me feel better because I like to carry with one in the chamber. Taurus calls it a pocket pistol I think it was a little big for that but with a crossbreed holster in my summer shorts and tee-shirt it was not noticeable on me. Ow and it was one of the only pistols I could use with gloves on
It is accurate, reliable, good all-around gun.
I carry a PT145 right now I just like the 45 better.

All good to know. Could you answer a few basic questions please to help those intersted in the firearm in the future get good information? Estimates are obviously not only okay, but expected :)

1- How long have you had it?
2- Round ballpark guesstimate?
3- How long did you carry it for?
4- Any issues?

Thanks. I am hoping we'll get some good information here that currently isn't out there, and it will help others considering purchasing the firearm know exactly what they're getting into!

Picked it up new In late 2010 for 400 bucks still carry it in the summer in the waistband CC with a crossbreed holster/wife uses it as a purse carry when she travels. We ran around 1200 rounds through it (Gestament) for ammo we use critical defense without a jam or misfire that said my wife said that she had it jam at the range when she was pushing up on the magazine with her free hand, I could not get it to repeat the jam though. When I first got it I took it apart and cleaned and lubed it I do not like the lube Taurus uses seems to attract dirt. Do not use Steel case Ammo it will mess up the extractor.

Good to know! Thanks!

I agree the lube it comes in is miserable... it was more like taffy than lube on my gun though.

Good to know about steel ammo. I was unaware... I will try and avoid steel ammo.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top