JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'll preface this with, I really don't care if you hate tattoos or love em.

I was curious what some of the gun community thinks about tatts in general and would be interested in your thoughts and if you want to share your reasons. Jobs, at the range, social issues or whatever.

(Personally my daughter thinks they are all ugly and is horrified that I have them - at least that's what I get from her attitude :p). My wife is all for it as long as I can go "out" in public and not offend everyone that sees me (so no curse words, sexual themes etc - thankfully I have no plans or desires for such things).

I have noticed a large increase in Tatts on more professional people (and professional sport players) in visible areas and tons of "kids" (under 30) getting hand tatts or on the forearms (not to mention necks and behind the ears). Maybe this is a liberal PNW thing or maybe just Portland and Seattle areas.

(The ones that start at the hand and then add to it going up just screams "I'm doing this to be cool" and is very uncool IMO. If you have so many tatts that your lower arm and hands are the only available canvas then that's totally different.)

I do have 2 tattoos so far:

One is a wedding ring patterned after a puzzle ring I gave my wife for our 10th anniversary.

Second "one" actually covers part of my left hand, my entire left arm, goes over my shoulder and covers my left pectoral muscle. It is a theme and everything in it means something to me. (I'll get my wife to take a decent pic tonight, I don't do selfies). I have one last session to finish my inner upper arm off as soon as my buddy has an available opening (I work with his schedule and "model" his work and in return He works with my very limited funds. I've spent less on a $12k+ tattoo then most do for a single sitting - I only add this so I don't look like a d-bag saying I'm broke all the time but have money for ink:D).

It is actually part 1 of a 3 part plan and I am hoping to have it finished before the 2.5 year mark (this March).

I'll have a similar tattoo done by him on my right side to balance it out and then part 3 will be on my upper back and lower back of my neck and will tie the two together.

Should be completely inked from my sternum up to my t shirt collar line in another 4 years at this rate. Then on too my legs but 4-5 years is a long time to prep for that:p (even though I already have a few ideas I want done).

So there you go, an off topic topic to Spark some conversation:cool:.

Almost all of my interactions with people have been them being very impressed with my arm and then (some of them) get to see what it turns into and being blown away - normally followed by them asking if I have a card for the guy that did it (his cards are part of my EDC just for that hahaha).

I have found rolling my window down and resting my arm on the window sill while driving tends to get tailgaters off my rear bumper real quick - which is nice (and funny to do).

I do belong to a private range and have had 2 totally different reactions from the RSO's. When I show up with a hunting camo shirt on (long sleeve) I get treated like any good'ol boy even though I'm at least 10 years younger then most of the youngest members, and have a great time talking with people about thier guns or reloading habbits.

The other reaction was during a summer run and I had just had ink work done a couple days prior so I was greased up and had a tank top (maybe even a wife beater) on. I'll tell you what, I was watched like a hawk and got the impression the RSO's were waiting for me to turn around and go postal or something crazy. Needless to say, hunting camo is stored with my range bag now - I'm not interested in reliving that day.

I knew there would be some negative reactions when I signed up for the process so I'm not complaining, just sharing what I've been thru so far.

People have never confronted me FTF so that's not something that has changed, I'm not your most inviting person out in public anyway.

I don't have any tats because I just cant afford them. Here's why:D

IMG_0156_zpsr9lbiawf.jpg

I neither love nor hate tattoos. I don't have any myself and don't plan on getting any, but I'm not against other people getting them. I've seen some really amazing work and some really sloppy work, obviously I prefer the quality stuff. As for work, I'm in construction, so it's not uncommon to see folks with tatts, even working in the office. In the past that would have been a no no, but, like Joe says, maybe it's a PNW thing.

I don't have any tats because I just cant afford them. Here's why:D

Jebus man!!

If I had a buddy who would give me guns for a 1/10th of thier actual cost then I might have a pile like that:p.

As it is I have to use all of my Father's Day, birthday and Christmas funds to buy anything gun related. I have never bought a New gun from a dealer but I have bought 1 gun that was unfired when I aquired it. Needless to say, it's my hunting rifle and is not LNIB anymore - she's a tack driver though.

I neither love nor hate tattoos. I don't have any myself and don't plan on getting any, but I'm not against other people getting them. I've seen some really amazing work and some really sloppy work, obviously I prefer the quality stuff. As for work, I'm in construction, so it's not uncommon to see folks with tatts, even working in the office. In the past that would have been a no no, but, like Joe says, maybe it's a PNW thing.

It is so so tempting to walk up to some people who obvioisly were Guinea pigs for friends or paid the bare minimum for a junk tattoo and hand them my buddies card and tell them to give him a call - he does amazing coverup work but it would be incredibly rude so I keep to a don't tell unless asked for my opinion policy on tattoos.

I also don't have issues either way. And, I don't have any either. Can't see the need for them. If I want to spend money on something I usually do what edslhead does. :)))

There are a couple things that I do have issues with....

1. Some who have gotten them have somehow thought they were all of the sudden "better" and everyone around them needs to "watch out" for them. Complete attitude change from not having them, to having them.

2. People who complain that they have a hard time making their bills and "can't seem to get ahead in life". This is while them and their significant-other is getting more tats every payday. :confused:

Other than that, peace to all who have them, and peace to all who don't. Let your creativity live on in ink. Let your stories be seen.

I also don't have issues either way. And, I don't have any either. Can't see the need for them. If I want to spend money on something I usually do what edslhead does. :)))

There are a couple things that I do have issues with....

1. Some who have gotten them have somehow thought they were all of the sudden "better" and everyone around them needs to "watch out" for them. Complete attitude change from not having them, to having them.

2. People who complain that they have a hard time making their bills and "can't seem to get ahead in life". This is while them and their significant-other is getting more tats every payday. :confused:

Other than that, peace to all who have them, and peace to all who don't. Let your creativity live on in ink. Let your stories be seen.

I'm not super social outside of the Internet so I've not met the #1's (although I've met plenty of inked people who do act like bullies or tough stuff).

#2's I see all of the time unfortunately:(. Minimum wage workers with 20+ tattoos ranging from probably $60 to a few hundred each.

I've got myself a very unique situation with my buddy and am very lucky to know him. He has also been featured in magazines and won awards at conventions for his talent so I'm not getting hack jobs done when I go in for a session.

Most men want to be seen for qualities they don't have. Ones they feel they lack?
And I'm no exception. :rolleyes:
Strange. When we all have soo many good qualities?

Pride I guess?

Often tattoos are what you want the world to see and think of you. Not who you really are.
They say different things to different people.

So no. I have no tattoos on my skin.
But get to know my story. And I'm colorful enough on the inside. ;)

I am a dork. Born in the 80's grew up in the 90's and I loved my fads. So I wanted to have a tribute to all of the hobbies and fads I have had and been part of throughout my life. Think pokemon, pogs, cars and trucks, ninja turtles, star wars, and of coarse firearms. So after years of waiting till I could find the right artist that had the right touch, I went all in on a leg piece that till this day is not finished. I am looking to finish it soon. The idea is to have a sleeve that covers my whole lower left leg eventually.

I wanted lots of color, and I love the new school look. So that is primarily what the tattoo resembles.

Pants cover it most of the time, and that is the easiest solution if it causes any riffs. Which it hasn't in any of my working positions.

I love the reactions. Most being positive as the artwork is pretty damn good. However once and a while I will get a glance from the anti crowd for the black rifle.

Here are a few pics from when the pieces where individually getting completed. I will see if my wife can do a panoramic of the leg as it sits today.

IMG_0573.jpg IMG_0575.jpg IMG_0598.jpg IMG_0600.jpg

Getting a pano of the leg was a lot harder than I thought, so here are a few more pictures. IMG_1907.JPG IMG_1908.JPG

Last Edited:
I have found rolling my window down and resting my arm on the window sill while driving tends to get tailgaters off my rear bumper real quick - which is nice (and funny to do).
lol, that's like saying " I rack my shotgun and everyone runs".....scary......someone going to call you out on that. There are people cursing around looking for that fight lol

I'm not directing this at Joe but now a days with all this beard and tat look you get the biggest pu$$ies with big beards and tats thinking they are some bad bubblegum till they get called out.......used to be my game as a young man ......now I just laugh and hope I get to see the call out

I grew up in a 1% MC so tats and beards are not high on the intimidation list

I read about these old guys who run off and get lost for days cus they can't remember where they live. I think I might get my address tattooed one me sometime:p

lol, that's like saying " I rack my shotgun and everyone runs".....scary......someone going to call you out on that. There are people cursing around looking for that fight lol

I'm not directing this at Joe but now a days with all this beard and tat look you get the biggest pu$$ies with big beards and tats thinking they are some bad bubblegum till they get called out.......used to be my game as a young man ......now I just laugh and hope I get to see the call out

I grew up in a 1% MC so tats and beards are not high on the intimidation list
I'm pretty sure Joe is a badarse, but I agree. It's like the little punks in their jacked up trucks. Compensation.
Again, not talking about Joe or the maybe 15% or so others who are tatted up because they like it. Not because it makes them tough. I've got some tatted up buddies who, I promise, are pretty damn tough.

i like tattoos most of the time. i dont like extravagant neck or face tattoos at all. i have one tattoo on my right forearm that says "Maika'i" its my hawaiian middle name that goes back 5 generations now. i plan on getting more tattoos like: my sons name and the dates that my grandparents passed away.

i thought about gettijng a mule deer on my left bicep but it never happened. yet.

I think tattoos make some hot chicks extremely hot.

thats my opinion on tattoos

Tats, well i'm oldschool they mean something and are just in my view not for makeup. Yea I get every Bob on the planet is getting sleeves, biomechanical, dots, blackwork what ever floats one boat don't get one cause your buddys got one. Get one cause it means something to you. Its gonna be on your arse, possible literately for ever. I do not think tats are cool or trendy. I always thought of them as body art, body expression. The same reason I took a SKS recently and went are weird and unconventional on it was not cause I wanted bragging rights. It actually means something to me and is not for sale now. Tats something has to mean something to the wearer or its just ink nothing more.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not have any, both of my kids do (now young adults) and I know they are good people.
I do think that some people are tasteless as why they tend to have ink but that's none of my business (think of Kermit sipping Lipton tea)...;)

I have full 360* armband of thorns around my upper right bicep. My right arm is my primary weapon/fighting arm, the right arm/hand is also symbolic for strength, commitment, and honor.

The band of thorns symbolizes a hedge of protection that defends my heart & soul against the corruption and evil in this world while using my right arm to fight what needs fightin', burn what needs burnin', & kill what needs killin'.

image.jpeg

...and no, that's NOT A TUMOR! :D

I have one, on my left shoulder, my friend who isn't with us any longer had the same one on his. I'd have more cause I do like them, but I don't for two reasons, artist has to be somebody I'd trust and I tend to spend all my fun money on my other hobbie, like edslhead.

Hahaha yea all good y'all, I won't take it personally.

I think chest tatts on women are hideous but lots of girls love them - to each their own, no judgements. You gotta live with it or pay to have it removed.

I knew I wanted a dragon on each arm since 16-17 years old. I waited till I was 29 to get my wedding ring and 37 till I found the right artist to do the work on my arms. Fortunately it happened to be a long time friend that offered me a deal I couldn't pass up for the cost.

Had that not happened, I would still be inkless - I'm not a star of any kind and always been (up till a couple years ago) the sole provider for our household and my wife homeschooled for many years. It was pure luck that things worked out so I could get started before my kid is out of college.

It's an expression of my inner self and a story of my first 30 some odd years of my life, having traveled quite a bit and done some unique things.

I do admit it is a little childish to show my arm by resting it on the wind sill but it's better then my previous occasional tapping of the brakes - which has escalated issues in the past, the arm has always deescalayed things quickly without any aggression.

90% of the year I wear long sleeves (even in the summer) so most people are surprised when they do get to see it.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top