JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I never used one and know nothing about than besides what I have read.

A female who knows nothing about guns and such asked me about them, she said her and husband would like one for home defense, all I could say was I will post the question on a forum.

So the question is,

Does anyone know anything about them, good ones, ones to stay away from, battery life, reliability etc. etc..

i bought a cheap one for my girlfriend in the past, it worked well but she still didnt carry it. out of curiosity i hit myself with it and i can say it can create an opening to run, past that i wouldnt count on it. according to my dentist i have a high pain tolerance and i can say they hurt (a lot) but the pain is brief and fades quickly. i might recommend something more like this SureFire 6PX Defender Single-Output LED Flashlight.

ive never used these before but something you can strike a person with will be more effective than shocking them a bit. on top of that, even if the batteries are low it will be just as effective. IMHO maybe you should invite her to the range and sway her to the dark side (it helps when you say we have cookies).

hope this helps.

not a bad choice if it works as a striking weapon with dead batteries. my biggest problem with a taser is the lack of actual damage to your attacker. when someone has terrible plans for you (or the woman you care for) you want him to regret it later, if in fact you want him to be able to rise after the incident. a taser in essence is designed to be a weapon of mercy and wont be any good unless the next step of you plan involves a successful escape. as we all know, that requires you are faster than the person you just tased.

Carry one every day at work and they are very effective. Ours are 50,000 volts and fire barbed probes. I have no idea if the public grades are as effective. Stay away from the ones that have to be pressed up against the skin - they are just pain compliance and will not someone with high resistance to pain or is on drugs.

BTW: Ours come from Taser International.

Carry one every day at work and they are very effective. Ours are 50,000 volts and fire barbed probes. I have no idea if the public grades are as effective. Stay away from the ones that have to be pressed up against the skin - they are just pain compliance and will not someone with high resistance to pain or is on drugs.

BTW: Ours come from Taser International.

The Taser C-2 model is exactly the same as your model in power and effectiveness. It however gives the threat a 30 second ride!!! Allowing sufficient time to leave the area and to call 911. The C-2, if carried off (i.e. stolen by the threat), while you're leaving the scene for safety will be replaced by Taser if you submit to them a police report of the incident. The C-2 has a smaller footprint for off duty - civilian carry.

thanks everyone, I will pass on the info.

Btw, I did refer them to a couple extremely reputable gun shops / ranges to teach them to shoot. They did not want to spend the cash but in turn have plenty of cash on going to the Bahamas, weekend get aways and such.

When I mentioned I could teach them to shoot but it would cost them a minimum of $150.00 or even more per person for ammo for a full day of shooting and where they could go and buy the ammo or I could go and buy if they give the money to go get it.

She shied away, so I never brought it up again. I know a lot of people who want to learn to shoot but none want to spend the money for ammo when you can get it, I guess they think I have access to free ammo or something.

Anyways, She asked about a Taser, so I said ok I will submit it on a forum.

I appreciate the feedback.

The Taser C-2 model is exactly the same as your model in power and effectiveness. It however gives the threat a 30 second ride!!! Allowing sufficient time to leave the area and to call 911. The C-2, if carried off, while you leave will be replaced by Taser if you submit to them a police report of the incident. The C-2 has a smaller footprint for off duty - civilian carry.

I'd like to also add my hat to the C2 TASER. I bought one for my wife after she was assaulted by a robber at work (perfect TASER situation). It has a light/laser combo on it, as well.

I'd like to also add my hat to the C2 TASER. I bought one for my wife after she was assaulted by a robber at work (perfect TASER situation). It has a light/laser combo on it, as well.

Proper probe deployment is critical. If it has replaceable cartrages get a few and practice. Also note if only one probe is a good hit NMI can still be obtained by pressing the end of the taser against the person.

I would suggest (for in home defense) a stun-gun with a stand-off capability (like a cattle prod) so that you do not have to make body contact with a perp who may have a knife, but I assume Keys has that nailed down

I would suggest (for in home defense) a stun-gun with a stand-off capability (like a cattle prod) so that you do not have to make body contact with a perp who may have a knife, but I assume Keys has that nailed down

Actually you should never purchase a stung gun / TASER device not rated against human use (i.e. a famer's cattle prod) for self defense purposes.

Obviously there is a difference that if you happen to have a cattle prod and were being attacked and you decided to use it to defense yourself or another, but you cannot simply carry one or keep one around for that purpose (it shows malicious intent to do harm to another person).

I know a lot of people who want to learn to shoot but none want to spend the money for ammo when you can get it, I guess they think I have access to free ammo or something.

You gotta take the drug dealer approach: "The first time's free." ;-) Take them outdoors to a free range with a little 22 ammo to start with and then move up to some 9mm. Shoot a few hundred rounds with them, and it could be a pretty inexpensive and fun time. Consider it an investment in a relationship and/or a future 2A supporter who may vote. :)

I shot M16s and M870s while in the military. So I've shot a fair amount, but even though I had a couple rifles and a shotgun from my dad, I never got around to shooting them (or even buying bullets/shells for them) until after I went on a "guys" trip with a bunch of guys from my church, and they brought all the guns and ammo and just shared the fun of the sport with anyone who wanted to try. Since then, I have ammo for all the guns my dad gave me and have shot them all multiple times, plus, I've purchased a couple others. I think that if someome had told me "lets go shooting, it'll cost ya $150 up front to try it out," I probably would have had other priorities to spend that much money on before a day of shooting. But after doing it (for free once) and enjoying it, I dont mind buying ammo to take my family and/or friends shooting and I also see the value of the practice/training aspect of it.

I'm looking forward to doing the same with other friends. :) Sharing/teaching builds awareness of our freedoms and when people become aware of their freedom and the rights that come with it, they're probably more likely to recognize when they might lose them and fight to keep them. :)

Now I read these forums on a regular basis and I'm a lot more aware of 2A issues that I never spent much time thinking about before. Share = Aware. ;-)

thanks everyone, I will pass on the info.

Btw, I did refer them to a couple extremely reputable gun shops / ranges to teach them to shoot. They did not want to spend the cash but in turn have plenty of cash on going to the Bahamas, weekend get aways and such.

When I mentioned I could teach them to shoot but it would cost them a minimum of $150.00 or even more per person for ammo for a full day of shooting and where they could go and buy the ammo or I could go and buy if they give the money to go get it.

She shied away, so I never brought it up again. I know a lot of people who want to learn to shoot but none want to spend the money for ammo when you can get it, I guess they think I have access to free ammo or something.

Anyways, She asked about a Taser, so I said ok I will submit it on a forum.

I appreciate the feedback.

Don't be too discouraged. This is unfortunately common even amongst the most die hard in the shooting community. When there is an immediate threat or emergency they're all open to suggestions and ideas wanting immediate results but as soon as the pain/threat subsides people resort back to "business/life as usual." Real security preparedness is rare unfortunately. I'm humbled to be surrounded by men and women who really take this commitment/lifestyle seriously. Instead of me "pushing them" to improve and train they are "pushing me." People are often looking for excuses to fail and not solutions to survive...even amongst gun people. If they cannot hit the broadside of a milk jug they just blame it on a crummy trigger, terrible sights, and lousy gun. Then they trade it for something better....and the cycle never changes. Training our software-skills requires commitment, dedication, a fiscal/time investment and a mindset which most are unwilling to do. Buying gear (like a Taser) is easy.

It is not just deploying the Taser, but what do you do after that ? Can you leave the threat area ? Can you gain control of the hostile subject and prevent them from attacking again ? Can you rapidly deploy the Taser for second and third uses ?

In my opinion, Tasers are better used by LEO who need to get temporary compliance in being able to take some one into custody. Expecting a person to use them as a personal self defense weapon with out specific post deployment training is not going to turn out well in my opinion.

It is not just deploying the Taser, but what do you do after that ? Can you leave the threat area ? Can you gain control of the hostile subject and prevent them from attacking again ? Can you rapidly deploy the Taser for second and third uses ?

In my opinion, Tasers are better used by LEO who need to get temporary compliance in being able to take some one into custody. Expecting a person to use them as a personal self defense weapon with out specific post deployment training is not going to turn out well in my opinion.

Coast it is called "Training!" And I'm not referring going shooting at a rock pit either! There are places where you and love ones can obtain training on avoidance, situational awareness, civilians Use of Force, how to develop a family policy/procedures (which LEO Agencies have but Joe and Jane do not), if you can leave an area, how to control a suspect/threat, how to disengage, et al.

Coast it is called "Training!"

I realize that. How many people that have CHL's actually get training in fire arms handling, and those other very important elements of personal defense?

Not enough in my opinion. I know because when other people seek myself and other members of our family out for elemental training in these things, you know that the vast majority of CHL's do not. As a family or group we train a lot on a year around basis. With 3 combat veteran Marines and one LEO, one paramedic and one nurse we go a lot farther than most.

I work with older CHL holders on how older people need to train as well. A lot differently than the youngsters do. My point here is that if you choose to possess a Taser, that you need to do exactly what you recommended, and take some very specific weapon specific training in operation, deployment and follow on actions. In our personal defense plans, none of us have a Taser has part of it. Just our way of doing it. Not saying it is not good for someone else. Only the individual can make that decision.

I got my daughter one because she runs regularly and she can't take a firearm on campus, not that she has one anyway. The model I got her has a plastic loop to put your middle finger through so that you can run with it in your fist. The "fun" area is at the top of that loop so that if she punched someone (she is a black belt in Karate), it would hit them. She actually didn't know how to hold it at first and zapped herself. I felt terrible.

I think they are a good choice to have, but they certainly do not replace a firearm.

I realize that. How many people that have CHL's actually get training in fire arms handling, and those other very important elements of personal defense?

Not enough in my opinion. I know because when other people seek myself and other members of our family out for elemental training in these things, you know that the vast majority of CHL's do not. As a family or group we train a lot on a year around basis. With 3 combat veteran Marines and one LEO, one paramedic and one nurse we go a lot farther than most.

I work with older CHL holders on how older people need to train as well. A lot differently than the youngsters do. My point here is that if you choose to possess a Taser, that you need to do exactly what you recommended, and take some very specific weapon specific training in operation, deployment and follow on actions. In our personal defense plans, none of us have a Taser has part of it. Just our way of doing it. Not saying it is not good for someone else. Only the individual can make that decision.

I have never heard of a tazer training class. Maybe I'm just oblivious. I will have to do a search.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top