JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Something I never really bothered checking into before, but I came across this nugget today:

https://www.atf.gov/files/regulations-rulings/rulings/atf-rulings/atf-ruling-76-6.pdf

It states that Tasers are considered AOW's because they use a small explosive detonation to launch the prongs for the zappy ride. This makes me glad that I didn't purchase a buddy's M26 when he offered after his department began issuing X26s.

Guess that explains why they aren't sold at places like Sportman's Warehouse and other places and pitched as a great "alternative" to carrying a gun for protection.

Something I never really bothered checking into before, but I came across this nugget today:

https://www.atf.gov/files/regulations-rulings/rulings/atf-rulings/atf-ruling-76-6.pdf

It states that Tasers are considered AOW's because they use a small explosive detonation to launch the prongs for the zappy ride. This makes me glad that I didn't purchase a buddy's M26 when he offered after his department began issuing X26s.

Guess that explains why they aren't sold at places like Sportman's Warehouse and other places and pitched as a great "alternative" to carrying a gun for protection.

X26 uses compressed nitrogen to expel the probes.

Tasers haven't used the gunpowder propellant since the TF-76 model, and the ATF ruling preceded the collapse of the original company, Taser Systems.

The new company, Air Taser, switched to using compressed gas in 1993-1994.

so anything not using gunpowder is not a firearm? nifty. wonder how many footpounds can be achieved from electromagnetic acceleration or compressed gas.

so anything not using gunpowder is not a firearm? nifty. wonder how many footpounds can be achieved from electromagnetic acceleration or compressed gas.
Well---a 4 lb pumpkin fired via compressed air with enough velocity to go a mile would probably
have some impressive foot pound figures!:)

IIRC, a spud gun that uses ignited hair spray *is* considered a firearm.

Not as long as you are firing spuds for recreational purposes---clip from an ATF letter:

"We have previously examined that certain muzzle loading devices known as "potato guns." These potato guns are constructed from PVC plastic tubing. They use hair spray or a similar aerosol substance for a propellant, and have some type of spark ignitor. We have determined that these devices, as described, are not firearms provided that they are used solely for launching potatoes for recreational purposes. However, any such devices which are used as weapons or used to launch other forms of projectiles may be firearms and destructive devices as defined."

Looks like if you stuff a turnip or a beet in that puppy it's off to club Fed?:)

Not as long as you are firing spuds for recreational purposes---clip from an ATF letter:

"We have previously examined that certain muzzle loading devices known as "potato guns." These potato guns are constructed from PVC plastic tubing. They use hair spray or a similar aerosol substance for a propellant, and have some type of spark ignitor. We have determined that these devices, as described, are not firearms provided that they are used solely for launching potatoes for recreational purposes. However, any such devices which are used as weapons or used to launch other forms of projectiles may be firearms and destructive devices as defined."

Looks like if you stuff a turnip or a beet in that puppy it's off to club Fed?:)

What about a banana in a tailpipe?

I remember some schoolmates making one of these from soda cans duct taped together (the cans were much thicker back then) and shooting tennis balls from them. I'm pretty sure they used lighter fluid to power it.

If you launch a turnip with intent to kill, then it is max security for you. :cool:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top