Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Targets that go Boom

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by Tomas204, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Tomas204

Tomas204 Oregon City Member

Ok I was talking to a guy who is a Fire marshal and he told me, that the Tannerite exploding targets are illegal, because you are making a bomb.

I purchase these at local gun store believing they are completely legal, is this guy just ignorant ??????

2. Frankenrifle

Frankenrifle Clatskanie Active Member

Why are you leaking a trail of smoke?

3. Tomas204

Only from my RD 400 :laugh:

4. Frankenrifle

Frankenrifle Clatskanie Active Member

To give you a less snarky answer;

It's not illegal unless expressly forbidden by the land owner or regulated by state or federal law. There have been grumblings about it being illegal in forest lands but I don't know the ORS on that.

5. nwbobber

nwbobber Longview, Wa. Active Member

I heard that the stuff was made illegal on federal land in Oregon, check the BLM and FS websites for info there. They cited fire danger, and that several fires had been started by careless use of this stuff. As for a bomb, it doesn't go off like that unless it is contained. Like black powder. Don't put it under something that will become a projectile and shoot it, common sense stuff. Apparently a few people did not have enough of the common type not to start a brush fire with it.

6. nwbobber

7. Kevatc

Kevatc Oregon Well-Known Member

My dumbass nephew apparently shot enough tannerites that the explosion was seen and heard by some type of either forest service or BLM LEO. He had to sell the gun to pay the fine. This happened in Wyoming or Utah.

8. 556

556 Beaverton,OR Active Member

I like to keep a low profile out in the woods as much as possible. Don't want to add to the noise I already make. It is fun to shoot it though.

9. coyoteman5

coyoteman5 North south east west Active Member

10. nwbobber

I read that in the NF anyway the ban is when ever there is a fire order in effect. They said that means when campfires are prohibited, or chainsaws, then this ban would be in effect.

11. Tomas204

Hey thank you guy's.

It is odd, because there is no flame, when using Tannerite products I guess it just take's one dumbasss to ruin all the good guy's fun

12. coyoteman5

coyoteman5 North south east west Active Member

The reaction does produce heat which in turn can cause a fire.