JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello,
I'm needing some help/ input on going with a elevation turrets. I have yet to actually use one for bullet drop but the want to get into that game to make life a little easier.
My current set up- tikka T3x hunter 30-06 w/ vortex viper 6x24-50.

My questions I'm concerned about-

Should I have a custom turret just made for this scope and my round?

Or

Purchase a new scope with all the goodies on it?
I appreciate any info I can get!

06220E7D-8930-4DBC-A6D5-56DB078D565F.jpeg

You can write you yardage points directly on a dial and there's a few other options as well to go that route.
Personally for hunting at ranges I'd actually shoot at I'd prefer to use a reticle with hash marks(moa or mils) and make a dope sheet then hold the required come up.
You can do that with a SFP scope as well if you figure out what the graduations mean at various magnifications

It's faster, harder to get lost, forgiving if your scope doesn't dial consistently(a lot of them don't) and your not locked into a certain yardage.

My 260 at 500 yards? hold 2.5 mils and maybe a smidge of wind if needed.

I have a Leupold VX-R with the CDS turret. The turret works very well on the range. I don't have the custom turret knob and use a "dope sheet". I changed chamberings since I bought the scope and trajectory changed along with it. I just needed to make a new dope sheet. I'm not a long range hunter and can shoot to 250-300 yards without much consideration of holdover, so the turret isn't super important to me, but I love the illuminated center dot.
What I don't like about it comes when I'm hunting and the knob gets turned when moving thru the brush. I tape mine. I believe some scopes have a better locking system and the newer VX-Rs may be included in that group. If so, I think that'll be a good candidate for my wife's rifle.

Unless you are trying to kill @ 1000 yards, or your game has been hobbled with a feed bag, I too vote for caliber / reticle specific scope. Fiddling with a knob while hunting may work on your guided goat hunt with a spotter, but isn't really practical for the general hunting public. I have a caliber specific Leupold scope on my 6.5 X 55. I like it, and which works very well, I suspect especially if you don't shoot much, but is not really necessary if due diligence in practice is done. for nearly 40 years I used a .270. In the first year, I used many rounds of factory loads in many weights followed by many rounds of hand loads also in different weights till I narrowed down to my best loads in 130 and 150gr. By then, I knew exactly where each weight bullet would hit at all ranges I was able to accomplish off the bench consistently`. Visually moving the cross hair up, down, or sideways, by experienced estimate from practice has not failed me since.
Never taking your eye off the target while it wanders behind a tree or bush combined with range time to know your gun intimately, is better advice than fiddling with knobs in my mind.
As a guesstimate I would say I would have been unsuccessful hunting maybe 25% of the time without the ability for split second reaction. things can happen that fast in the woods and your opportunity is lost for another year. Factoring out luck, that fast reaction only comes reliably, from knowing your gun, and yourself, through practice.

I would go with a differant scope. 6x is a lot if you need to make a close shot and 24x is a LOT. I have a Monarch 5, 2x-10x on the same gun in 270 and its been a good setup. I like to stay away from adjustable parallax as it just eats up time for the shot. Dont skrimp on the scope that's a great rifle :D

I don't hunt much anymore. When I did, I zerod at 100 yards and knew my holds. Longest was 300 yards with a 30-06. Took the lung holding on the top of the back. This shot had a few moments to probably mess with a dial, maybe...

I would go with a differant scope. 6x is a lot if you need to make a close shot and 24x is a LOT. I have a Monarch 5, 2x-10x on the same gun in 270 and its been a good setup. I like to stay away from adjustable parallax as it just eats up time for the shot. Dont skrimp on the scope that's a great rifle :D
I agree.
6x sucks up close and I've hit a 16" gong at a mile with 16x numerous times.
3x9, 3x12 or 3x18 is I think a great range for hunting optics.

I agree.
6x sucks up close and I've hit a 16" gong at a mile with 16x numerous times.
3x9, 3x12 or 3x18 is I think a great range for hunting optics.

That 3-18 would be something to see!

I'll also add 2-7 on that list, especially for the wet side of the Cascades.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top