JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
kinda cool idea for home but not very portable really.
i suppose if you didn't glue the pvc you could break it down and the mending plates i didn't understand why he didn't just screw it together?not to pick the vid apart just thinking how to make it better,it's my job to do that so i cant help myself:)

I built the one in the SAR video and really like it, it's very portable and sets up in seconds. Only thing I don't like about it is the mending plates used for joining the corners; I'll do something different there next time I need a target frame.

Sorry to necro this thread, but i just built one of these The $17 IPSC Target Stand: A "How To" by TheLateBoyScout - YouTube for $15 (found a couple of T's at a buddies house). Similar to the one that Tangent posted above, but this guy doesn't glue his together, and all his pvc pieces are the same size, so they're interchangeable if you happen to hit one. I cut the 1x2 uprights at 4 ft. (the vid has them at 5 ft.) so that they'll fit in the back of my sedan, and one set of pipes and joints fits in a small duffle bag.

IMAG0502.jpg

Those horrible cuts are not an indication of my usual work, we put it together with a hacksaw on the tailgait of my brothers pickup after a quick stop at Lowes before we went shooting. Even with the horrible cuts, it still holds together totally fine with just friction fit.

I dont have a pic of it but I use 3 fencing "t" posts ~$5 each. Pound 2 in the ground side by side and use bailing wire to hold the other one over the top to hang stuff from.

Portable, cheap, easy, durable.

You can make one much easier, and cheaper... and better.

1 8 ft 2x4 cut into 4 24" lengths (Home Depot framing 2x4 = $2.50 (cheaper if you buy them from the scrap bin)
2 2 6" bolts, w/ wing nuts and large washers = less than $2.00 (probably less than a dollar)
1 8ft 1x2 = like... $1.50

Cut the 2x4 into 4 24" pieces. (Home Depot will do this for you)
Drill two holes 5" apart from each other into the center of two of the 2x4's. Do them together so they line up.
Cut the 1x2 into two 4ft lengths.

Take one of the drilled pieces and the two non-drilled pieces and screw them together into and H patter. Use wood screws for best support. Maybe an L-Bracket if you really want to get crazy.

Take the other drilled section and line it up with the two holes you drilled and put the long bolts through it with washers on the outsides.

You're done.

You can put the 1x2's upright and staple cardboard to them for your paper targets. Or you can put a single 2x4 upright in between the bolts if you want to hang a steel plate.

How do you hang a steel plate? Buy a hook hanger for .59 at Bi-mart and screw it into the 2x4. Then... hang the plate. This also works in trees if you don't have a stand.

I made these in my garage and fit 3 stand, with everything else along with rifles, folding table, water jugs, and all the other crap you take out shooting into the trunk of my Honda Accord.

Super cheap, easy, stable and portable.

I'll post pictures tonight when I get home.

I have to see the pics...it looks like your setup is cheaper than the PVC stand i'm trying out. If it'll fit in the back of your accord, it should go in the back of my MS6 just fine. Do you have to put the seats down? For some odd reason the back seats of the speed 6 don't fold down, even though all other mazda 6 back seats do. The only down side i could see would be that they're not able to be completely broken down, and they would be heavier than PVC (not necessarily a negative). I have a stack of 2x4's in my garage, so i'm looking forward to trying one out.

I have to see the pics...it looks like your setup is cheaper than the PVC stand i'm trying out. If it'll fit in the back of your accord, it should go in the back of my MS6 just fine. Do you have to put the seats down? For some odd reason the back seats of the speed 6 don't fold down, even though all other mazda 6 back seats do. The only down side i could see would be that they're not able to be completely broken down, and they would be heavier than PVC (not necessarily a negative). I have a stack of 2x4's in my garage, so i'm looking forward to trying one out.

I'll put up some pics tonight when I get home. No, I don't have to put down the seats, everything fits just fine.

Ok here we go.... not the greatest shots, but you should be able to understand.

Also, this is not entirely my design. I got the idea of the bolt in the center from another website. I'd like to it, but I don't remember where it was and did a google search and can't find it. But I did change it from a single bolt with two stakes to two bolts so you could add the single vertical 2x4. Also, they were using stakes through the middle to hold it in place, but where I shoot is rocky.... so steaks don't work for me. So I added the "arms" or whatever.

First a few shots of the base. You can see the "H" pattern. The center piece is held together by two wood screws on each side. Only one of the pieces is screwed in place. The other is "free floating" I guess... for lack of a better term.

TargetStand001.jpg

TargetStand003.jpg

TargetStand004.jpg

Here you can see the two bolts going through both the center 2x4's. The act like a sort of vice to hold that center vertical 2x4 in plate.

TargetStand002.jpg

Then I screw in a hook thingy that I got from bi-mart for .99 and hang the steel plate.

TargetStand005.jpg

TargetStand006.jpg

Or you can take out the center vertical 2x4 and put up two 1x2 stakes. I bought a pack of 12 yard stakes for $5.00 from Lowes.

Then you staple up your cardboard and tape your paper targets. I cut out a man shaped silhouette and spray paint around it every so often. Tape up the holes, repaint and do it again.

TargetStand007.jpg

TargetStand008.jpg

And there you go. The thing is probably around $10.00 And that's including the $3.00 I spent for the freezer paper from bi-mart and the .99 I spent on the spray paint.

WOW looks like a lot of work.
How 'bout a 2'X4' piece of OSB (whole sheet costs $8,so you have enough for 4 stands)
2 2x2x8's
screw a couple 4' pieces to the 4'edges of the OSB and then screw 2 more ,only at one end,to those for legs
And use a staple gun for the targets

10 bucks and actually lasts quite a while

I dont have a pic of it but I use 3 fencing "t" posts ~$5 each. Pound 2 in the ground side by side and use bailing wire to hold the other one over the top to hang stuff from.

Portable, cheap, easy, durable.

Yeah,uh huh.Try pounding those "T" posts in my back yard and see if your hands can even hold a gun after that.

WOW looks like a lot of work.
How 'bout a 2'X4' piece of OSB (whole sheet costs $8,so you have enough for 4 stands)
2 2x2x8's
screw a couple 4' pieces to the 4'edges of the OSB and then screw 2 more ,only at one end,to those for legs
And use a staple gun for the targets

10 bucks and actually lasts quite a while

I know when you first read it that it seems like a lot to drill two holes, and screw in 4 screws... but it really isn't. It goes pretty quick actually.

I have a couple homemade PVC stands. The only thing I do differently is place two 1x2's on the PVC. No connectors horizontally between the 1x2's. I clip targets to the 1x2's using large clips I get at Staples. No worries about shooting any connectors.

Where do you get steel plates as shown in the pics by Zepoll?

I have a couple homemade PVC stands. The only thing I do differently is place two 1x2's on the PVC. No connectors horizontally between the 1x2's. I clip targets to the 1x2's using large clips I get at Staples. No worries about shooting any connectors.

Where do you get steel plates as shown in the pics by Zepoll?

You can buy them from <broken link removed> here on the NWFA Forum.

I know when you first read it that it seems like a lot to drill two holes, and screw in 4 screws... but it really isn't. It goes pretty quick actually.

I meant all of them. The first one with all the plastic parts looks pretty cool,but I'm gunna blow holes in the thing. Not particular on the looks cool part
Yours looks pretty easy to do.

I have Home depot cut the OSB ,I cut the 2X2s and screw it all together.
AND it lays flat! 2 inches high,laying down.

Guess it doesn't matter.Sometimes it's just fun to build shnit anyway. I'm sure I'll weld something up this summer too.

I'm sure I'll weld something up this summer too.

If I knew how to weld I'd probably do the same.

Was also trying to think about the Home Depot buckets they use in the parking lot with a little cement and a post in it. But I want to be able to remove the post when breaking down and taking home. Still think it's going to be too heavy though.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top