JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Location: Sportsman's Warehouse, 18645 NW Tanasbourne Dr, Hillsboro, OR 97124

Free and open to the public.

Poster 1 Pub Web 7-28-18.jpg
The class will cover topics such as:

Where to shoot?
What to shoot?
How to be legal?
Are there any rules?
Can I shoot milk jugs and propane tanks? Tannerite? Tracer Rounds?
Group shooting & sharing.
Etiquette.
Ethics.
Basic firearms safety rules.
Fire/public/personal safety.
What's at stake and how does that effect the next generation?
and more...

Information Class

The most important thing we face, right now, is fire safety in recreational shooting. Top priority is to have the right gear!... Such as this...

Shoot! I didn't think anyone would notice! Will do, as soon as I can muster it up! Currently using my thumb as a site. Gets me kind of close!

Crooked Finger a popular shooting area above Scotts Mills will have a Gate closed perminately on the 28th due to trash and bad behavior from shooters and kids having parties etc. Just found this out via one of the Jeep forums.

I have commented on this before.........silly (or criminal) city people think they have the right to the countryside whether private or public.......they have this gun and have to shoot it (usually in an unsafe manner) and do magazine dumps on an old TV or whatever, and leave the trash. I consider the practice a real threat to our shooting sports. People (particularly non shooting hikers and tree huggers) will align to restrict shooting on public grounds if we shooters can't get control of these dangerous slobs. If you shoot, pick up EVERYTHING, including brass and like many of us do, pick up what you can of what the miscreants have left before you. The other thing I find with these people is they don't like the safety restrictions on a formal range.......that should tell you something.........they don't care or have the discipline to be a safe shooter. None of it will come to anything good.

I have commented on this before.........silly (or criminal) city people think they have the right to the countryside whether private or public.......they have this gun and have to shoot it (usually in an unsafe manner) and do magazine dumps on an old TV or whatever, and leave the trash. I consider the practice a real threat to our shooting sports. People (particularly non shooting hikers and tree huggers) will align to restrict shooting on public grounds if we shooters can't get control of these dangerous slobs. If you shoot, pick up EVERYTHING, including brass and like many of us do, pick up what you can of what the miscreants have left before you. The other thing I find with these people is they don't like the safety restrictions on a formal range.......that should tell you something.........they don't care or have the discipline to be a safe shooter. None of it will come to anything good.
This is true, Argo. So we need to combat that with more responsible shooters than non. I believe we are gaining more and more good shooters who are now paying attention to rules and showing more respect. We gotta keep at it every time we go.

Here's proof.... Ask anyone if they ever leave their shooting trash on public land. Guess what they say!

Said no-one ever.jpg

Argonaut is 100% correct, and the only way to combat the problem is with educating these new and undisciplined shooters. They need to move away from the idea of plinking at cans and TVs and other trash and use target stands and paper targets that are much easier to pack up after the matter. The outdoor shooting classes TNL is hosting is key to this program.

Argonaut is 100% correct, and the only way to combat the problem is with educating these new and undisciplined shooters. They need to move away from the idea of plinking at cans and TVs and other trash and use target stands and paper targets that are much easier to pack up after the matter. The outdoor shooting classes TNL is hosting is key to this program.
The exception I would make to your comment is the "only" way. I am as you guys know prone to militant enforcement of issues I feel strongly about........I would give (first) offenders a year in jail working to clean up sites that have been trashed. The activity is not only voluntary, you have to go out of your way and spend money to accomplish such destruction. It isn't like an ice cream wrapper accidentally blowing out of the window of a passing car full of kids. This is deliberate wanton damage and destruction of the enviorment for absolutely no reason. The convictions need to be highly publicized to make the best use of the actions.......and like taking out Al Capone with tax laws, it might take a few gangsters (and poachers) off the street too.

The exception I would make to your comment is the "only" way. I am as you guys know prone to militant enforcement of issues I feel strongly about........I would give (first) offenders a year in jail working to clean up sites that have been trashed. The activity is not only voluntary, you have to go out of your way and spend money to accomplish such destruction. It isn't like an ice cream wrapper accidentally blowing out of the window of a passing car full of kids. This is deliberate wanton damage and destruction of the enviorment for absolutely no reason. The convictions need to be highly publicized to make the best use of the actions.......and like taking out Al Capone with tax laws, it might take a few gangsters (and poachers) off the street too.

again I 100% agree and am baffled why many crimes don't have more severely heavy fines... until they do, education is the only way we can get thru to people.

I like it! It's hard to get a conviction. Someone needs to be there and document everything. Law Enforcement doesn't always catch them in the act at the right time. There's not enough LEO's out there. We could do it, but it can get rather risky.

If, and when, I hear of LE busting someone for illegal shooting, I'll be excited to make it public. They have no fear of consequences.

I like it! It's hard to get a conviction. Someone needs to be there and document everything. Law Enforcement doesn't always catch them in the act at the right time. There's not enough LEO's out there. We could do it, but it can get rather risky.

If, and when, I hear of LE busting someone for illegal shooting, I'll be excited to make it public. They have no fear of consequences.
That is the exact reason we need stiff enforcement and publicity for the ones we do catch.

....its sad though, there will always be those yahoos that fly in the face of education and common sense. We shouldn't 'have' to tell people to shoot into a hillside or other earthen backstop, theres a couple of popular spots on the Salmonberry road area where a dead end spur overlooks the forest beyond. Every weekend people shoot there, no backstop. If you politely tell them, your likely to find yourself in a confrontation... with guns involved.

I do understand the idea that law enforcement resources is limited for this kind of thing, but thats why the fines need to reflect the limited resources. Its simple to make the monetary fine increase beyond proportion hurt so bad that even if they don't get jail time they will still learn. Theres no reason the fines couldn't be increased and that would encourage police sting ops for a few weekends per summer for even just one officer would get the message out. They do sting ops for texting and driving, sting ops for seat belt violations. I cant figure out why an officer cant roll up on that spot on the Salmonberry and issue stiff tickets... someone is shooting there every time I drive by it.

One of our problems is the 'shock-n-awe' video's you see on social media where a refrigerator or car is blown up. Or a guy mowing down a tree. Or the macho-man image of a guy with 2 guns blasting off the hip.

The younger crowd wants to copy it and add their own little sense of coolness. The video maker doesn't have any disclaimers about Don't do this on public land. They don't even say if they are doing it on private land or not. All the viewer thinks is; I wanna be like that and do that stuff.

These videos have been, and are, working against us.

....its sad though, there will always be those yahoos that fly in the face of education and common sense.

It not just that It's that they just don't care! and the mind set of, what are they going to do to me if they catch me, very little to nothing wow I'm scared. they have no care to what they do to other people's property it's all about them piss on everyone else you don't like it clean it up yourself attitude. :mad::mad::mad: Really bakes my biscuits

....its sad though, there will always be those yahoos that fly in the face of education and common sense. We shouldn't 'have' to tell people to shoot into a hillside or other earthen backstop, theres a couple of popular spots on the Salmonberry road area where a dead end spur overlooks the forest beyond. Every weekend people shoot there, no backstop. If you politely tell them, your likely to find yourself in a confrontation... with guns involved.

I do understand the idea that law enforcement resources is limited for this kind of thing, but thats why the fines need to reflect the limited resources. Its simple to make the monetary fine increase beyond proportion hurt so bad that even if they don't get jail time they will still learn. Theres no reason the fines couldn't be increased and that would encourage police sting ops for a few weekends per summer for even just one officer would get the message out. They do sting ops for texting and driving, sting ops for seat belt violations. I cant figure out why an officer cant roll up on that spot on the Salmonberry and issue stiff tickets... someone is shooting there every time I drive by it.
This could be a good argument for @Reno911 's idea of having a recreational shooting permit for all who wish to shoot on public lands. If the permit money would go to LE efforts and get more LEO's on staff, it could be a good thing. I'd also like to see some of that money available for site improvements (safety stuff like fire prevention, public safety and legal places to shoot). It would certainly weed out the ones who don't want to follow the rules.

I still cringe at the idea of paying for a permit to shoot on public lands. Propose a ballot measure.... $2000 per person shooting illegally and leaving trash, $5000 per person shooting unsafely (no backstop, over berm targets...) then make it so the fines go towards developing approved public shooting lanes.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top