JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Put those firearms back in the safe, folks! Target shooting is now prohibited in Mt. Hood National Forest, until we get past this extreme/unusual fire potential situation.

Of course, we're not surprised, right?!!!. I'm sure most of us have chosen not to shoot in this extreme weather condition, because of the extra potential for wildfires.

The order to prohibit shooting has been signed (Sept 4th) and is currently in force. The official announcements will be publicized real soon. They are currently enforcing this order and are preparing to post signs at primary shooting locations about the closure.

So please, share this info with fellow shooters and don't go! It's not worth it!

Thank you all for your understanding and patients!

Put those firearms back in the safe, folks! Target shooting is now prohibited in Mt. Hood National Forest, until we get past this extreme/unusual fire potential situation.

Of course, we're not surprised, right?!!!. I'm sure most of us have chosen not to shoot in this extreme weather condition, because of the extra potential for wildfires.

The order to prohibit shooting has been signed (Sept 4th) and is currently in force. The official announcements will be publicized real soon. They are currently enforcing this order and are preparing to post signs at primary shooting locations about the closure.

So please, share this info with fellow shooters and don't go! It's not worth it!

Am I right to assume that its also gonna be Tillamook SF and the lanes?

This is the word I got today from USFS in Mt Hood Nat Forest. It's for the whole forest.

I'm sure more will follow suite and I'm sure some are already in effect. Best not to shoot anywhere, for now!

Best kind of shooting there is! Wish you luck! You go SparksFly!
I am certainly proud of him! He has worked hard, got his own gear with his own money, and has practiced a TON!
This is the rig he is shooting - 52# Red Wing Hunter recurve bow. image.jpg
And these are a few groups at 30 years. IMG_0798.JPG IMG_0808.JPG

Want to bet how many of those signs get shot by the slob shooters???:eek::eek::eek::rolleyes:

I am certainly proud of him! He has worked hard, got his own gear with his own money, and has practiced a TON!
This is the rig he is shooting - 52# Red Wing Hunter recurve bow.View attachment 389458
And these are a few groups at 30 years.View attachment 389456 View attachment 389457

I'm pretty proud of him too! For being a young guy with a Steward's heart, he's one to be admired! He's a good guy and I wish him well! Glad to see you supporting him in his interests. Right on, Dad!

Want to bet how many of those signs get shot by the slob shooters???:eek::eek::eek::rolleyes:
No, I don't want to bet on that. Just hope not! If we don't respect the decisions what our management agencies decide is best, we'll get shut down. (Wouldn't doubt it if someone does shoot it, just in spite).

I trust this decision is best for the forest, and for recreation in general, and I agree this is a good idea to close it for now. It's not like they are closing it for good! Only a temporary thing.

So please refrain from the enticement to shoot the sign! It's not worth ruining the name of responsible shooters nor starting a fire!

Hi Cogs, I know your up North but any word of closures down in this area. I'm not going shooting until it rains but thought I would try to get some clean up time in this weekend. Might set up the trail cam if I get up there on Saturday just to see what it catches. Will probably email Paul tomorrow.
Thanks
Craig

I haven't heard anything from BLM yet. I'm sure they will be posting soon. Wouldn't doubt it if all Oregon and Washington close it for the time being, and post about it soon. You're good to go on any clean up efforts, just hold back on that itchy trigger finger!

Hide that cam real good! They'll steal it if they find it!

Thanks Craig!

(That guy, my friends, is what Stewardship is all about! Give him a shout out!)

I bet the lanes are good to go, just because they are pretty 'fire safe'. However, if they announce closure of the whole forest, we'll need to cease and desist. I haven't heard any official word from ODF. Anyone heard?

Really, I think it doesn't matter if they announce it or not. We should simply put off shooting 'till weather conditions get better.

Any word yet on BLM or Gifford Pinchot land? Was gonna try to go up and shoot on friday but sounds like I may have to postpone my load testing.
Same as above. Haven't heard yet. Considering the current conditions, better to postpone the idea until conditions improve.

This is good to know. I hadn't thought about shooting in this smoke though. I can't even see a 100 yard target and when I look though the scope, my new Trijicon glass looks like it's a Tasco..... :p Plus I'd look weird wearing a respirator and goggles....

No, I don't want to bet on that. Just hope not! If we don't respect the decisions what our management agencies decide is best, we'll get shut down. (Wouldn't doubt it if someone does shoot it, just in spite).

I trust this decision is best for the forest, and for recreation in general, and I agree this is a good idea to close it for now. It's not like they are closing it for good! Only a temporary thing.

So please refrain from the enticement to shoot the sign! It's not worth ruining the name of responsible shooters nor starting a fire!

This is good to know. I hadn't thought about shooting in this smoke though. I can't even see a 100 yard target and when I look though the scope, my new Trijicon glass looks like it's a Tasco..... :p Plus I'd look weird wearing a respirator and goggles....

Damn, I gots to have my group therapy though....

This is the rig he is shooting - 52# Red Wing Hunter recurve bow.View attachment 389458
And these are a few groups at 30 years.View attachment 389456 View attachment 389457

That is very cool. I remember when I was a teenager, my dad would throw lids from 5 gallon buckets in the air and I'd shoot them with my recurve. That was some of the best practice I received, other than shooting jackrabbits on the run. I have a lot of respect for guys that are still using recurves. Mine was an old Ben Pearson that my dad used when he was a kid... Loved that old bow...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top