JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yeah 125/165 is about max there for level set ups and shots.
To get 165 means shooting diagonally across the pit (not always possible if others are there) or shooting up hill.

Big wide pit though, with lots of room for groups and firing lines, as seen in site cleanup(s) after party pix....:p

The embankment on the left as you enter is a good spot for short range stuff (thinking pistols here)
But - :cool: unless ya set up in the bushes across the road from the entrance, shoot across the road, through the entrance, and put your target at the top of the pit without any backstop - :eek: (NO!) o_O - 200+ is impossible...

I've also seen people camping :confused: (maybe for the view !???!) at the top of the pit too, out of sight from below
- so be sure and check to see.

And yes, the road is very rough in places, but most vehicles will make it in good weather. :D d:-D

Yeah 125/165 is about max there for level set ups and shots.
To get 165 means shooting diagonally across the pit (not always possible if others are there) or shooting up hill.

Big wide pit though, with lots of room for groups and firing lines, as seen in site cleanup(s) after party pix....:p

The embankment on the left as you enter is a good spot for short range stuff (thinking pistols here)
But - :cool: unless ya set up in the bushes across the road from the entrance, shoot across the road, through the entrance, and put your target at the top of the pit without any backstop - :eek: (NO!) o_O - 200+ is impossible...

I've also seen people camping :confused: (maybe for the view !???!) at the top of the pit too, out of sight from below
- so be sure and check to see.

And yes, the road is very rough in places, but most vehicles will make it in good weather. :D d:-D

I presume there's still no access from Clack River Road? Memaloose bridge? And Hillock burn Rd is the only way? Jeeze Louise, that was a nasty ride. I never went all the way to the pit that way. Was told that the 45 road was once paved. And that the forest service/Mt Hood Natl Forest found it cheaper to remove the pavement rather than deal with up-keep. Therefore you have a wide flat roadbed with chuckholes making it a terrible drive. Well, for anything less than a vehicle with some serious suspension mods.

The place I linked is good to go.
Dirt road for the last 5 miles but you can make it in a car if you wanted to.

Doesn't look like many use it and there is a pit there with good backstops.
Can get to over 100 yds at the pit but you have to shoot across the road.
There is a large clear cut just past it though that you can stretch it out.
Gotta be careful out there though due to summer season.
We were the only people out there also.
Packed out some smaller stuff but couldn't fit the big screen tvs that some azz wipe left.

On the way up.
36qJmbhl.jpg

I think @Ed Guinn has ranged it out but forgot what is was. Perhaps he will get this tag and let us know.
Regarding the "OZ" pit. There's a painted white line in the gravel at 100yds. 125 gets you into the road. If you shoot higher, on the slope you can get to 120yd but still have a good backstop at the 100yd line. There's a little garbage up there, but not bad. There was a wood frame in the corner that was very convenient to put up targets, but folks weren't taking their paper targets with them. I picked up some garbage and took it home. It's a terrible drive though. Other rigs were bailing out much earlier to shoot pistols and rifles. Road is washed out at one place, but it's passable. It's impossible to miss potholes, they are spaced perfectly to give you a beating. Last time I was there, someone was camping above the pit, so I always check to make sure someone isn't up there.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads