JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just a thought but is there any way we could get a sign-up sheet on here so that we could get a rotation of volunteers that would want to take some time say, once a month or once every couple of months to do some cleaning (and of course target shooting) at some of the better locations? I would think a crew of 8 to 10 people would get a lot done and this is a good place to make posts about it.

I also am not able to help because of work and family commitments. I have reported things in the last few years on this board and will continue to do so when I get the opportunity to shoot up there. Thanks again.

Just a thought but is there any way we could get a sign-up sheet on here so that we could get a rotation of volunteers that would want to take some time say, once a month or once every couple of months to do some cleaning (and of course target shooting) at some of the better locations? I would think a crew of 8 to 10 people would get a lot done and this is a good place to make posts about it.
Good idea. I'm trying to picture what this might look like. Should it be a calendar that we all could add the dates when we plan to shoot and ask for cleanup help? Or, should it be a thread that folks could post a certain date they plan to go shooting and ask for help to do a cleanup-n-shoot?

I wouldn't want this to become a complicated thing that makes it too overwhelming to sign up for. Keep it simple and just join up for a basic random act of cleanup and some fun group shooting.

My biggest concern is... What would we do with the garbage we pick up? I hope everyone would consider that taking a bag, or two, home and paying for the extra disposal fee, would be a worth while donation to the effort of being responsible in recreational shooting. That would be their contribution to the cause. That's something I can report and promote on our social media outlets!

Good idea and I think it's worthy of more conversation!

Keep in touch with the USFS Sandy &/or Estacada offices on the conditions and efforts at shooting places.

I feel like I must be the only one who makes contact with them and tries to do something about it, however, just one person, who lives in Washington, works another full time job and operates a NW wide non-profit organization, can't give the Mt Hood area the focus it needs.

I do see how having a designated contact person between stewardship activity and the offices might be helpful.

That being said, I can also speak of negative "attitudes" at one of the offices at least, that you mention. In the office while requesting information and encountering personnel out on the roads.
There does seem to be a disconnect between "us" and "them", dare I say it ?...
shooter profiling ?

I do see how having a designated contact person between stewardship activity and the offices might be helpful.

That being said, I can also speak of negative "attitudes" at one of the offices at least, that you mention. In the office while requesting information and encountering personnel out on the roads.
There does seem to be a disconnect between "us" and "them", dare I say it ?...
shooter profiling ?
Yep. Definetly an "Us" and "Them" profiling going on. That's why we need more of "Us" being represented and "Them" being aware we're out there. After a while, "Them" will begin to see "Us" as being the ones who are the good ones trying to make a positive change.

I'm afraid that if we don't communicate, with "Them", they will continue to profile "Us" as part of the ones who don't give-a-damn.

Yep. Definetly an "Us" and "Them" profiling going on. That's why we need more of "Us" being represented and "Them" being aware we're out there. After a while, "Them" will begin to see "Us" as being the ones who are the good ones trying to make a positive change.

I'm afraid that if we don't communicate, with "Them", they will continue to profile "Us" as part of the ones who don't give-a-damn.

Unfortunate. Sometimes a little hard to communicate with someone who you know is giving you a load of BS. Especially when you are out scouting for a place that has been "trashed" but is not on the radar for volunteer efforts yet.

Unfortunate. Sometimes a little hard to communicate with someone who you know is giving you a load of BS. Especially when you are out scouting for a place that has been "trashed" but is not on the radar for volunteer efforts yet.
Those are the kind of places we need to hear about. We gotta know so we can show a response of our concern for responsible shooting.

If it's a bad place to shoot, we should let them know and advocate for closing it down. If it's a good place to shoot, but people are disrespecting it, we should communicate our why it's good and work to save it.

Yeah, the BS, from agencies, is not always reality. Responsible shooters know what's a good or a bad place, but, forest officials don't always consider what responsible shooters are looking for. We have too many "Irresponsible" shooters trying to shoot in bad places and agencies are not saying anything about it. They need to start recommending GOOD places to shoot and discourage the bad places.

Sometimes I feel like it's a conspiracy to not say anything and let the problems happen so they have more ammunition to close all shooting. I hate to think that is the case, but, sometimes I wonder...

Good idea. I'm trying to picture what this might look like. Should it be a calendar that we all could add the dates when we plan to shoot and ask for cleanup help? Or, should it be a thread that folks could post a certain date they plan to go shooting and ask for help to do a cleanup-n-shoot?

I wouldn't want this to become a complicated thing that makes it too overwhelming to sign up for. Keep it simple and just join up for a basic random act of cleanup and some fun group shooting.

My biggest concern is... What would we do with the garbage we pick up? I hope everyone would consider that taking a bag, or two, home and paying for the extra disposal fee, would be a worth while donation to the effort of being responsible in recreational shooting. That would be their contribution to the cause. That's something I can report and promote on our social media outlets!

Good idea and I think it's worthy of more conversation!
That's exactly what I was thinking. It could start as a Saturday or Sunday type thing and maybe change into a weekday thing eventually too. Essentially everyone brings just one bag of trash back with them or something large (trucks and SUVs are a plus) like a tire or something that is unwanted trash. I'm not familiar with a lot of outdoor shooting areas but I'm assuming in addition to cleaning up, anything that makes for a better shooting experience is helpful. For example making signs that indicate rules or suggestions to making it more organized

What if, and yes I know there are many potential issues with this idea, but maybe we could get a dumpster set at some of the more popular spots like miller road in Welches. If people saw it coming in they might be more encouraged to take the trash out since they knew they wouldn't have to take it home.

What if, and yes I know there are many potential issues with this idea, but maybe we could get a dumpster set at some of the more popular spots like miller road in Welches. If people saw it coming in they might be more encouraged to take the trash out since they knew they wouldn't have to take it home.
A lot of us would use it respectfully and others wouldn't. It would always be full and need to be emptied often. And all that stuff in the dumpster would not necessarily be from forest trash (there would also be a lot of stuff not even in the dumpster!). Cost would be high and I don't think it would be a good use of taxpayer money.

Miller Rd might be an easier one to make work because it would be deeper in where the general public wouldn't want to carry their household garbage and furniture past the closed gate and a half mile to the dumpster.

But the idea of making it easy for us to clean up shooting sites is good. We still haven't found the right solution to that. Yet.

I haven't shot in Mt Hood NF in many years. When I did I treated it like the wild west. Read through this thread and really respect what is being said/done.

I'm trying to find up to date closures, but the link to the Mt Hood NF target shooting page is giving me 2015 dates. I'm interested in shooting at the "Oz Pit" along NF-45. Does anyone know if that's open? Is calling the Esticada office the best way to find out about closures? Or can you point me in a direction of where to look?

I appreciate the help. I'll make sure my buddies and I grab a few trash bags on our way out.

If no one reports here, I'd say check with the Estacada office. The OZ pit is along the NF45 Rd and about at the top. Last year, the road was real pitted and might be a challenge to get there. Hope they smoothed it out by now.

There are a few places before OZ, but not as big.

Thanks for picking up as you go. Have a great time!

Bill

I keep meaning to head to Oz pit but haven't made it yet.

A guy I work with hooked me up with this spot, he goes often and has a gong somewhere out there.
Says it's good for 1k yards. I believe he said his gong is at 600 yds.
It's about the same time to get there as Oz pit for me.

Does anyone have the gps coordinates for the OZ pit? I think I know which one it is and like to shoot there but have never heard it called that. If it is the one I'm thinking of I was up in that area about a month ago and the road is terrible!

Mr Funkmaster....I kinda like that! Lol

Thank you. That is the one I was thinking it was. I've shot there many many times. It is my favorite out to shoot in while up there.

Yes, I only shoot steel and I always clean up after myself.

Has anyone ever used a range finder to see what kind of distance you can get there if you are shooting from the entrance of the pit? I never have. I'm guessing 125 yards tops but could be wrong.

Mr Funkmaster....I kinda like that! Lol

Has anyone ever used a range finder to see what kind of distance you can get there if you are shooting from the entrance of the pit? I never have. I'm guessing 125 yards tops but could be wrong.
I think @Ed Guinn has ranged it out but forgot what is was. Perhaps he will get this tag and let us know.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top