JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Mt Hood National Forest is legal to target shoot. Just be careful not to shoot in a designated closed areas (check their web site, link below, for a list of closures). Lots of places to shoot. It just takes a few outings to learn the roads and places you like.

Check for closures at the web site link below.

Jot down these numbers and use them if you need
Report unsafe or irresponsible shooting... 503-630-8751 USFS
Report resource damage........................... 503-630-6861 USFS
Report trashed areas that need clean up.. NorthwestFirearms.com Volunteer Section or PM to Cogs.

Target Shooting Rules on Mt. Hood National Forest
1. No person shall place targets on trees or shoot trees
for any purpose.
2. No person shall shoot across, from or along any road,
trail or body of water.
3. No person shall shoot carelessly, recklessly, or
without regard for the safety of any person, or in a
manner that endangers, or is likely to endanger, any
person or property.
4. Persons engaged in target shooting shall remove from
National Forest System land all shell casings, targets,
and other debris resulting from their use.
5. Persons engaged in target shooting shall utilize an
appropriately sized, natural backstop.
6. No person shall shoot targets other than those
commercially manufactured for the specific purpose of
target shooting, except for paper targets privately
manufactured by the people engaging in target shooting.
7. The use of exploding targets and tracer ammunition is
prohibited.
8. No person shall shoot glass of any kind, appliances,
furniture, vehicles or other debris determined to be
garbage or refuse by an enforcing officer.
9. No person shall engage in shooting while under the
influence of drugs or alcohol.
10. Target shooting and other shooting related activity
will be prohibited from one half hour after sunset to one
half hour before sunrise.

Here's a link to their web page on
Recreational Target Shooting on the Mt. Hood National Forest

More information about target shooting on public land:
https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/2016-info-booth-mt-hood-usfs.213530/

Last Edited:
Put an End to Trigger Trash.jpg

Several places in Mt Hood. Find a spot with a good backstop and follow the forest shooting rules and you be alright. Here's a spot where you can get some yardage... possible up to a couple hundred yards.

The Oz pit on the NF45 Road. (It won't say Oz, but that's what it's called). From Estacada, So. on Hwy 211 to Left on Hillock Burn Rd. Stay on, becomes the NF45 (4500) road. Follow that all the way up to the top. It's the biggest pit you'll see on the right on a big corner. About 10-12 miles from where the pavement ended.

GPS: 45.141963, -122.235078

Hope that helps!

Cogs

Awesome. Thank you so much. Ill check it out!
I shoot there but never used a range finder until today.
100+ yds easy from numerous setup spots inside, to the lowest level of the quarry.
145 yds from one spot at the side of USFS rd 45 to the lowest level in the quarry.
170 yds from there to the lip at the top quarry level by the upper access rd. (uphill into trees without a backstop...big nope)
You'd have to shoot from across the road (!) to reach 200 yds...bigger nope.

I shoot there but never used a range finder until today.
100+ yds easy from numerous setup spots inside, to the lowest level of the quarry.
145 yds from one spot at the side of USFS rd 45 to the lowest level in the quarry.
170 yds from there to the lip at the top quarry level by the upper access rd. (uphill into trees without a backstop...big nope)
You'd have to shoot from across the road (!) to reach 200 yds...bigger nope.
Thanks for the input. I appreciate it.

Mt Hood National Forest is legal to target shoot. Just be careful not to shoot in a closed area. Lots of places to shoot. It just takes a few outings to learn the roads and places you like.

Report trashed areas that need clean up.. NorthwestFirearms.com Volunteer Section or PM to Cogs.

for any purpose.
trail or body of water.
person or property.
prohibited.

Enjoy and have some safe fun!
Worthless, what the point of shooting outside then.....!

Worthless, what the point of shooting outside then.....!
Ha. You must be referring to the wording... "not to shoot in a closed area". Well, the meaning was supposed to be... "not to shoot in a designated closed area". Good catch. I didn't see that before.

I'll edit that and also add a note to check their web site for a list of closures.

Thanks Glock,

Cogs

Ha. You must be referring to the wording... "not to shoot in a closed area". Well, the meaning was supposed to be... "not to shoot in a designated closed area". Good catch. I didn't see that before.

I'll edit that and also add a note to check their web site for a list of closures.

Thanks Glock,

Cogs
Mt Hood National Forest is legal to target shoot. Just be careful not to shoot in a designated closed areas (check their web site, link below, for a list of closures). Lots of places to shoot. It just takes a few outings to learn the roads and places you like.

for any purpose.
trail or body of water.
person or property.
prohibited.

More information about target shooting on public land:
https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/2016-info-booth-mt-hood-usfs.213530/

Several places in Mt Hood. Find a spot with a good backstop and follow the forest shooting rules and you be alright. Here's a spot where you can get some yardage... possible up to a couple hundred yards.

The Oz pit on the NF45 Road. (It won't say Oz, but that's what it's called). From Estacada, So. on Hwy 211 to Left on Hillock Burn Rd. Stay on, becomes the NF45 (4500) road. Follow that all the way up to the top. It's the biggest pit you'll see on the right on a big corner. About 10-12 miles from where the pavement ended.

GPS: 45.141963, -122.235078

Hope that helps!

Cogs
Not open anymore.

Any other areas open that would be good to try? Now that this place and wildcat are closed. I am not sure where to go. There was a rock quarry close to clear lake but according to the map that area is off limits now.

Any other areas open that would be good to try? Now that this place and wildcat are closed. I am not sure where to go. There was a rock quarry close to clear lake but according to the map that area is off limits now.
I been looking and browns camp is open if you want to drive that far. I don't know of anywhere else to shoot on this side of the river.

I been looking and browns camp is open if you want to drive that far. I don't know of anywhere else to shoot on this side of the river.
I guess I will join the search also. I don't get how they can shut the whole areas down and not give the shooters something to work with. It just blows my mind. When I went up to wild cat i did see people shooting who didn't care I guess. Or they just don't know. I thought the state road was still open on highway 26. I believe it is called Miller road. You have to walk in with your gear but it is next to a body of water so it probably makes it off limits right? There are big piles of asphalt to us as backstops. I use to use it but the area got kinda scary cause people had there cars messed with just siting on the highway for hours.

Asphalt Back stop Sounds pretty scary and to leave your car oh hell no. I saw that wildcat was shut down and clear lake looks bad I was up there last summer.
I am just going to pay a little more in gas and hit browns camp on a week day. I have a new rifle and scope I like to site in and have fun shooting.

I called USFS office in Estacada just now. Wildcat is open. In fact, they have recently done some improvements to make a 75 yd lane and a 65 yd Lane.

The 36pit, just past the Memelouse bridge, is closed because ODOT is working in there.

Memelouse is still closed and they are targeting Aug to reopen.

The Oz pit, on top of the NF 45 Rd, is open. That is a nice big one but takes a while to get up there. They have plans to develop shooting lanes there soon.

They haven't closed any areas, because of shooting trash or misuse, since we have been actively involved with cleanups and the Information booth program.

If you need more info, call the Estacada office. They are happy to help.

Cogs

I called USFS office in Estacada just now. Wildcat is open. In fact, they have recently done some improvements to make a 75 yd lane and a 65 yd Lane.

The 36pit, just past the Memelouse bridge, is closed because ODOT is working in there.

Memelouse is still closed and they are targeting Aug to reopen.

The Oz pit, on top of the NF 45 Rd, is open. That is a nice big one but takes a while to get up there. They have plans to develop shooting lanes there soon.

They haven't closed any areas, because of shooting trash or misuse, since we have been actively involved with cleanups and the Information booth program.

If you need more info, call the Estacada office. They are happy to help.

Cogs
I will head up this weekend and check it out for myself then. I have a new Ar that has been itching to throw some brass for awhile.
thanks everyone for the information so far. This site is going to be helpful with projects and information.

I will head up this weekend and check it out for myself then. I have a new Ar that has been itching to throw some brass for awhile.
thanks everyone for the information so far. This site is going to be helpful with projects and information.
I have a new ar as well. skullcracker420@gmail hit me up any time if you like to. All ways down for shooting.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top