JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I am wondering if it's a dumb idea to go out shooting tomorrow morning, or any morning during hunting season? I go out near Zigzag, OR off Lolo Pass Rd.
I was wondering the same thing. I bought my two boys a shotgun last week so they spent the afternoon cashing in bottles and cans to buy some shells for it. We were planning on breaking some clays with it tomorrow but I was worried we would piss off all the deer hunters up in the hills.

I was sitting in my treestand all day today. (east of Estacada) It's not too far from some typical shooting places. All day, even after sunset when I started hiking out, there was gunfire from many different directions. Some of the guns had enough oomph that they were likely .50 cals with muzzle breaks. Also heard several full autos. I've hunted in the same area for over 10 years and it's always like that. I don't think the deer mind too much. I wouldn't mind if the shooters took a couple hour lunch break though. I could get a nice nap in!

If you are shooting in an area that is not usually used for shooting and is a good spot for hunting, i would mind. But if you are at a normal forest range, hunters have no right to complain. There are very few areas to shoot in the woods. hunting near one is stupid to begin with.

I wouldn't care, but I could see some guys upset if you were shooting at first or last light. Heck some guys are flat out looking for a reason to get angry though.

I don't see the harm in breaking some clay mid day.

hunting near one is stupid to begin with.

that's not very nice!

But I guess that depends on your meaning of the word "near". Where I hunt it's less than a mile (as the crow flies) to a familiar rock pit. That distance doesn't do too much to kill the sound, but it goes on all year. The elk and deer I've seen in that area don't seem bothered by it, so why should I be?

I am neither hunting this weekend or shooting but I believe as long as you confine your shooting to an established area that is ok as opposed to setting up out in the woods somewhere. I did however forgo any quad riding this weekend. I have some friends that did go but they went went to an established OHV area rather than just out in the woods.

If it is in a normal shooting pit/range the animals don't care. They hear that noise all year long. As a matter of fact I have seen deer grazing on the top of a backstop hill WHILE I was shooting. They did not even flinch! They just spent time munching away while we shot. I also talked to a local in the Zig Zag area that warned my to be careful at the pit out there. Apparently some bears have actually come to TO the sounds of the shots looking for trash.

Decades ago I lived out in the Oregon Coast Range. Local residents harvested deer all year 'round because they needed the FOOD. That was a birthright! Hunting season was a royal pain in the kiester because all of the "city folk" would come out to shoot up "our" forest. If they scared off all of the deer, then they would shoot birds or anything else that annoyed them, and just generally disrespect the locals.

So, I always made a practice of shooting off a lot of fireworks the night before Opening Day of hunting season! I wanted to give the local deer fair warning so that they could hunker down and survive for later consumption by the locals. Opening Day always brought a lot of target shooting by the locals, for the same reasons.

Nyah, nyah, nyah............................elsullo :s0114:

I have seen deer grazing on the top of a backstop hill WHILE I was shooting. They did not even flinch!
+1 on that - a few years ago I was shooting at LEGAL deer on a ridge (albeit a bit father than I should have been considering the muzzleloader I was using) and they just stood there.

its just like fishing next to a bridge... the fish hear the sounds of the cars passing over and think nothing of it, it happens all the time, they get use to it. throw a rock in the water and they scram. Animals are the same

Thanks for all the responses. Having never hunted, I thought it would be a good idea to ask this question before going out. At least one of you suggested avoiding shooting at first or last light, so I went midday and had a great time.:s0155:

I can't tell you how many times I have been awakened at the crack of dawn ( 9 AM ) while camping to the sound of machinegun fire. And I live in Washington ! Lots of good old civil disobediance in my camping area.

I have been target shooting during hunting season and had the state game guys come out to investigate the commotion. I asked if I was breaking any laws and they said no but they did hang out until I was packed up.

Well, Roosevelt elk sure do not mind target shooting when in rut. You can hear them bugling right near the outdoor State Forest target range that several people use here. They will continue for as long as you are there. Roosevelts do NOT act like Rockymountain elk anyway. The Rosys always seem to give you that extra long look while Rockys are gone before you see them many times........

I'm more curious about the legality of target shooting during hunting season? Is it only frowned upon(or not, by the sound of it) or is it against the law to do so?

I'm more curious about the legality of target shooting during hunting season? Is it only frowned upon(or not, by the sound of it) or is it against the law to do so?

It's not illegal. Sometimes the wording of the law gets a little iffy about you having to have a hunting license and tag in your possession. But if you're hanging out in a spot shooting targets, you're legal. Just don't be traipsing out in the toolies with a rifle when it's deer or elk season. That could lead to trouble.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads