JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have guns to hunt and to protect my family. I'm not really a target shooter, but I bought a .17 for practice, and might build a 223 just for the range.

Question is, what bench setup do you guys use to shoot with? I've always just sighted in using bags to get a couple inch group at 100 yards with my hunting rifle. Never tried to get a "ragged hole". I recently used a lead sled to sight both my Savage 17 and Savage 30-06 in, and I can tell you, no ragged holes occurred. :s0114: But it was better than me sand-bagging it. I have a cheap set of table bags, but want to get the gun up higher.

Do competitive shooters use the lead sleds? Or just a forend bag? Or two bags?

Not sure what events would allow a lead sled. None that I know of off hand. Most long range competitions are shot prone with a Bipod or front rest. There are other rifle events so its possible some class allows a fixture.

Been using a Hart Varmint pedestal and a Hoehn Varmint top,fully adjustable with a decent price. Rest Tops

My setup is on the lower end of rests,might be in the < $600.00 range,so not top of the line but does the job for me.
Get a good set of leather bags that fit your stock,helps with consistent bedding from shot to shot.
RK

Competitive 100/200 yard benchrest shooting has to be done from a two peice rest. The Lead Sled or similar type one peice rest are illegal in competition. I shoot recreational benchrest and I use a Caldwell BR rest with a 3 inch wide Protector bag, along with a Protector rear bag. I have a couple hundreds bucks in my setup, which is cheap. Some of the high end stuff will run $700 plus.

I also have a Benchmaster rest. It is a very stable rest similar to the Lead Sled, but I think these kinds of rest cause some vertical to groups due to the way a fixed rest handles recoil. My Benchmaster has a nylon strap in the back to help control the recoil. I found that by removing this strap and allowing the stock to move backwards into my shoulder the vertical was mitigated. Of course I now absorb the recoil instead of the rest.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top