JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As I understand, in Oregon, slugs in a shotgun are legal for deer hunting. Slugs I think make a 12 gauge a .74 bore? Also, some say they would not hunt turkey without #4 shot, whereas others have made a turkey kill with #5, #6, and #7--I think these were successful due to short range! And for turkeys, I understand there is a special turkey choke. Eventually, I want to get a deer rifle. Perhaps, BBBass, when deer season rolls around, I'll join you on a hunt around Ontario, Oregon!

I would, but I can't go out any more due to medical issues. Sorry!

Yup, slugs should kick butt. I don't hunt deer with a shotgun but I have my Mossberg 500 18" with IC choke sighted in at 100yds with Winchester PDX1 slugs for area defense weapon (cul de sac street). Accuracy is good for mine.

I don't know much about turkey hunting either... oh well. Yup, I've heard about the turkey choke and I thought guys were using #2 to conserve meat. Head shots are the norm with the turkey choke, I don't know what size shot tho.

Distance Concerns
The range that produces the ideal spread from a modern high-performance turkey load and extra-full choke combination is between 20 and 30 yards. In that ballpark range, regardless of what you are shooting, shot density and energy are at their combined best. Based on recommendations from the Wild Turkey Task Force assembled by the National Wild Turkey Federation many years back, 40 yards has long been the suggested maximum distance for shooting at a wild turkey. This is admittedly still a good guideline, even with the much more powerful heavier-than-lead loads available to hunters, as it provides for some error on misjudging the distance between hunter and gobbler, particularly in open fields where everything looks closer.

For the practiced, however, many of these modern loads are admittedly capable of reliably taking birds out to 50 yards to 55 yards, though patterns are spreading and shot dropping even at that distance. Beyond that, it becomes a crap shoot, and every hunter owes it to the species to make sure that they take the most reliable, ethical shot they can.

As for close shots of 15 yards or less, these typically result in more misses than birds at the edge of a hunter's maximum shooting range simply because the pattern has yet to open up. It's more like shooting a single-projectile slug at a turkey than a cloud of shot, which is why I'm a fan of open, rifle-type shots on today's turkey guns. Up close, precise aim becomes that much more critical.

Take Aim: Proper Shot Placement for Wild Turkeys

I want those...
You can still get fixed stock vepr 12's ;) They're banned from import into the USA now so the vepr's in the USA right now are the only ones we will be seeing in the USA. no new ones will be coming from Russia anymore.

Russian Molot Vepr 12 Gauge Tactical Shotgun w/ Fixed Poly Stock - VPR 1207

Mine was originally a fixed tubular stock. I drilled out the pins to remove it, put in an angle corrected rear stock plate, put the folding adapter on, and an M4 style stock.

Got a US made brake on it (922r if it has threaded barrel), changed the handguard (2x 922r,) gas puck (922r), hogue grip (922r) and ALG AK trigger (3x 922r) I ground to fit and polished. There is a company that sells them pre-modified to fit a vepr-12 as well if you want to pay someone else $40 to do the grinding for you.

I don't know much about turkey hunting either... oh well. Yup, I've heard about the turkey choke and I thought guys were using #2 to conserve meat. Head shots are the norm with the turkey choke, I don't know what size shot tho.

Good for you, BBBass, you got me looking. This is helpful for me and others may like to download this chart.

hunting-shotgun-shell-sizes.jpg

Good for you, BBBass, you got me looking. This is helpful for me and others may like to download this chart.

Good info!! I didn't know about the tungsten iron loads, makes good sense.

BTW, if you ever go pheasant hunting, most folks use #6s, but I found that #5s hits harder and means fewer lost birds... those rascals can blow up in a puff of feathers and then crawl into impossible places that even my bird dog couldn't find. And that dog won field trials with his great nose!!

You have what, a 930 JM Pro... comes with an extended tube and holds 9 shells? Gonna have to put a dowel in it when you go hunting... check the regs to see how many shells are allowed.

Last Edited:
When I lived back in Michigan we has to use shotguns in the lower part of the state. We used 870s and 1100s with 18" smooth bore slugs barrels that had rifle sights. I still have my 1100. We practiced on one gallon milk jugs at 100yards. No optics. We felt anything within about 125 yards was a doable shot. I killed a lot of white tails with that shotgun. We would not use buck shot on deer and I still do feel it's a poor choice. Seen to many gut shot deer by pretending they had the reach of a slug or the debris between them and the deer would not effect buck shot
Your mileage will probably vary.

Lol well now a days lots of science involved.
But it's a gun that any body can build in there garage with a lead pipe .and some wood lol

Not building... shooting!

A veritable encyclopedia of the shotgun for the modern shooter and outdoorsman, Shotgunning details the selection of guns, loads, and chokes; required leads (translated into "bird lengths" for easier shooting recognition); shot velocity and penetration; the effects of recoil on the shooter; wind and temperature effects on shotshells; and much more. Data analysis puts blithely held truths to the test. Myths are debunked, and Brister's conclusions are supported with hundreds of photographs, lending Shotgunning an authority that many recent, worthwhile books on the subject cannot claim.

Brister brightly and boldly presents his readers with the science of shotgunning, but he never forgets the art that makes shooting a sport. Shotgunning is an elegant and educational mélange—a unique and invaluable guidebook that any shotgunner must own.

One form of English express sight is a simple bead front with a flat top square rear.* This bead on a flat sight picture, ( o ), is identical to the sight picture with a vent rib and a single front bead. The eye naturally centers the bead on the flat and gives a quite usable index of elevation.

Of course such a sight system is a fixed sight, so some effort must be made to find a slug or extra-large buckshot** round that "shoots to the sights." I have found the Remington 870 with a 26" vent rib and bead to usually be quite "well regulated".***

* See:
Elmer Keith's books Rifles for Large Game and Big Game Rifles and Cartridges.

** See:
Dixie TriBall Buckshot. This load consists of three 22 gauge, (.60"), hard cast 315 grain pellets in a 3" 12 gauge buckshot round.
DixieSlugs Home

triball3briley69540yds0fm6.jpg

Eight inch bullseye: One round of TriBall Buckshot at 40 yards from my 870 Remington Express with 26" vent rib and Briley extended full choke (.695" exit diameter).

Last Edited:
I was just saying .
Come on man .
I got a left hand Francci 12 ga Simi auto.
That cost way more than a lead pipe and wood .
Just saying

And got a 870 and a Benelli and a MULTI OTHERS 12 AND 20 GAGE..
16 Gage I think we even have a 410 floating around the family somewhere.lol

Good info!! I didn't know about the tungsten iron loads, makes good sense.

BTW, if you ever go pheasant hunting, most folks use #6s, but I found that #5s hits harder and means fewer lost birds... those rascals can blow up in a puff of feathers and then crawl into impossible places that even my bird dog couldn't find. And that dog won field trials with his great nose!!

You have what, a 930 JM Pro... comes with an extended tube and holds 9 shells? Gonna have to put a dowel in it when you go hunting... check the regs to see how many shells are allowed.
The tungsten loads work great for me duck hunting HEVI SHOT .
THEY COST MORE.but in California .
Oregon and Washington you can not use lead shot steal or other stuff.

As for Shooting slugs in your SHOTGUN .
unless you have a barrel for slugs I wouldn't recommend it.
BUT THEY DO MAKE SAVIO ROUNDS.that can be used in a regular shot gun.

but in California .
Oregon and Washington you can not use lead shot steal or other stuff.

On waterfowl, we should specify. Or on many state/federal game reserves even if hunting pheasant.

As for Shooting slugs in your SHOTGUN .
unless you have a barrel for slugs I wouldn't recommend it.
BUT THEY DO MAKE SAVIO ROUNDS.that can be used in a regular shot gun.

Oh come on man, slugs been shot in shotguns forEeeeever! :p The only problem was in some thinner barrels using a full choke... then it can make a bulge... not good.

Sorry I spelled it wrong sabot rounds

Sabots should only be used in rifled shotgun barrels. Just like a pistol or rifle, the "rifled" barrel imparts a spin to the wad that will stabilize the slug in flight. G8rHunter has a 22" smoothbore barrel with interchangeable chokes. A rifled slug is what is needed in a smoothbore. The rifled slug has small "fins" to stabilize it in flight.

do-rifled-slugs-spin-660x361.jpg

Nice but a no go.

On waterfowl, we should specify. Or on many state/federal game reserves even if hunting pheasant.

Oh come on man, slugs been shot in shotguns forEeeeever! :p The only problem was in some thinner barrels using a full choke... then it can make a bulge... not good.

Sabots should only be used in rifled shotgun barrels. Just like a pistol or rifle, the "rifled" barrel imparts a spin to the wad that will stabilize the slug in flight. G8rHunter has a 22" smoothbore barrel with interchangeable chokes. A rifled slug is what is needed. The rifled slug has an attached wad behind it, and small "fins" to stabilize it in flight.

View attachment 550658

Nice but a no go.
Well we used Sabot rounds out of a Mossberg 500 lol like you said not recommend it .but it will work lol
Im not going back to see what I said above .
But I do remember saying something about slugs in a slug barrel .or rifled barrel.
Ok .now back to SHOTGUN TALK.
IF you want to shoot a deer with a shotgun .
Go to a State where you can bait them in to with in 20 yards.
Or buy a deer rifle

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top