JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I would like to take my 12 gauge shotgun and try it out for accuracy at a target range. I have a new shotgun and have fired about 50 rounds of birdshot so far. What loads, beside slugs, can I shoot at a still target and at what distance should I start at. Also, what can I expect the limit to be for rifled slugs, since I have a smooth bore? BTW, I know I cannot use sabots

shotguns like rifles have a variety of factors that can effect accuracy.
Barrel length, what size choke, what kind of loads, etc.

that said: I can shoot gongs at 200yds all day long with 2 3/4" rifled slugs out of my vepr 12. (18.5" barrel)
my over/under (28" barrels) I generally only shoot moving targets with using birdshot (5-stand/trap)

Last Edited:
that said: I can shoot gongs at 200yds all day long with 2 3/4" rifled slugs out of my vepr 12. (18.5" barrel)

Those vepr 12 are pretty cool. Do you have an optic on there?

No way I can shoot slugs that far with an 18" cylinder bbl on my 870. Using both eyes open and the front bead, maybe I can hit a man sized target at 50 yards. With different kinds of birdshot to buckshot, it is much less. I usually shoot no further than 15 yards.

For trap shooting, I use a modified choke and a 28" bbl. I can break clays consistently from the 19 yard line using #8.

IMG_7222 (3).jpg

Last Edited:
I would like to take my 12 gauge shotgun and try it out for accuracy at a target range. I have a new shotgun and have fired about 50 rounds of birdshot so far. What loads, beside slugs, can I shoot at a still target and at what distance should I start at. Also, what can I expect the limit to be for rifled slugs, since I have a smooth bore? BTW, I know I cannot use sabots

For what purpose? Are you wanting to pattern for ducks, or pheasant, or deer (buckshot), or turkey, or clays, or intruders?

I asked about the choke on your shotgun before, and you never answered... discussions of shooting with shot are useless without that info!!! It should be stamped on the barrel.

Wait, are you saying yours is smoothbore all the way... ie.. no choke (cylinder choke)?

Last Edited:
If you only want to check for accuracy, you could put some target loads, #8s or 7 1/2s, in and use a large piece of brown paper on a piece of plywood. Use a marker to create a dot in the center. Stand back about 30yds or 40yds and aim for the dot in the center of the paper. Then go look and see where the densest part of the shot has put holes in the paper. For guys that are really into it, you can actually draw a duck sized circle and count the ratio of shot from the inside of circle to the outside.

This info should be available on the interwebs... I will try to see if I can find a link to a vid.

Those vepr 12 are pretty cool. Do you have an optic on there?

No way I can shoot slugs that far with an 18" cylinder bbl on my 870.

just the factory RPK style iron sights on it.
Ever tried to shoot man sized steel targets at 200 with yours using slugs? Bet you can do it with that shotgun ;)

20180320_114452.jpg 20180223_145413.jpg

I shoot trap with the vepr too at the rifle range with my trap thrower. I have an external threaded modified choke that threads onto the end of my barrel, and the muzzle brake threads onto the end of the choke so I don't have to shoot without the brake. Saves your shoulder and lets you enjoy shooting 12ga without any soreness or bruising or special padded vests/clothes.:D

at the trap and skeet club I only bring the over/under as they frown upon mag fed shotguns there lol..
20180309_213825.jpg

Last Edited:
just the factory RPK style iron sights on it.
Ever tried to shoot man sized steel targets at 200 with yours using slugs? Bet you can do it with that shotgun ;)

View attachment 550518 View attachment 550520

I shoot trap with the vepr too at the rifle range with my trap thrower. I have an external threaded modified choke that threads onto the end of my barrel, and the muzzle brake threads onto the end of the choke so I don't have to shoot without the brake. Saves your shoulder and lets you enjoy shooting 12ga without any soreness or bruising or special padded vests/clothes.:D

at the trap and skeet club I only bring the over/under as they frown upon mag fed shotguns there lol..
View attachment 550521

I want those...

For what purpose? Are you wanting to pattern for ducks, or pheasant, or deer (buckshot), or turkey, or clays, or intruders?

I asked about the choke on your shotgun before, and you never answered... discussions of shooting with shot are useless without that info!!! It should be stamped on the barrel.

My apologies, I have a 22" barrel with a full. modified, and IC choke. I wanted to shoot at a still target and learn the range of my shotgun. I am wondering what distances others are doing with their shotgun using slugs, buckshot, etc. so, what shot do others use for still shot practice with a shotgun? I am assuming it is heavier loads, so what loads do you use? Obviously, for clay, I want to use buckshot and I have 7.5 loads that I use. I am interested in deer hunting and would like to know the range of my shotgun, how it shoots at various distances, and improve my shooting skill. Due to my inexperience, I am unaware if anyone uses anything less than a slug for deer, but I would like to hear what has worked for you and what has not. No doubt, some would recommend a rifle for deer, so who has had success bagging deer with a shotgun?

You should call that specific range and ask them.
Their rules will all vary.

My apologies, I have a 22" barrel with a full. modified, and IC choke. I wanted to shoot at a still target and learn the range of my shotgun. I am wondering what distances others are doing with their shotgun using slugs, buckshot, etc. so, what shot do others use for still shot practice with a shotgun? I am assuming it is heavier loads, so what loads do you use? Obviously, for clay, I want to use Birdshot and I have 7.5 Shot that I use. I am interested in deer hunting and would like to know the range of my shotgun, how it shoots at various distances, and improve my shooting skill. Due to my inexperience, I am unaware if anyone uses anything less than a slug for deer, but I would like to hear what has worked for you and what has not. No doubt, some would recommend a rifle for deer, so who has had success bagging deer with a shotgun?
00 buck will take any large game down. That's what it's for... That and personal defense.

Use chokes to tighten up the grouping of your shot and improve the range of your shotgun.

The choke tubes control the spread. so use cylinder or improved cylinder tubes for close range. Modified for medium range (25-75yds) and full choke for longer range (75+yds)

Now when it comes to slugs don't go tighter than a modified choke or you can cause dmg to the choke and possibly the barrel. some say you can do it just fine, but I don't trust squeezing that much lead out of a full choke. no ty! lol

My apologies, I have a 22" barrel with a full. modified, and IC choke. I wanted to shoot at a still target and learn the range of my shotgun. I am wondering what distances others are doing with their shotgun using slugs, buckshot, etc. so, what shot do others use for still shot practice with a shotgun? I am assuming it is heavier loads, so what loads do you use? Obviously, for clay, I want to use buckshot and I have 7.5 loads that I use. I am interested in deer hunting and would like to know the range of my shotgun, how it shoots at various distances, and improve my shooting skill. Due to my inexperience, I am unaware if anyone uses anything less than a slug for deer, but I would like to hear what has worked for you and what has not. No doubt, some would recommend a rifle for deer, so who has had success bagging deer with a shotgun?

I'll do my best here... shot size only influences range as it affects a proper kill. One doesn't want to wound if one can help it. Look at the chart provided and think about what the lethal zone is of the animal you want to hunt, then adjust the choke and range to be the most effective. I'm saying it's variable... that is shotgunning.

I don't hunt deer with a shotgun... don't think you're going to find members that do... is it even legal in this state?

For other game, I think the best thing might be for you to make a specific request of the animal you want, say, a turkey.

00 buck will take any large game down. That's what it's for... That and personal defense.

Use chokes to tighten up the grouping of your shot and improve the range of your shotgun.

The choke tubes control the spread. so use cylinder or improved cylinder tubes for close range. Modified for medium range (25-75yds) and full choke for longer range (75+yds)

Now when it comes to slugs don't go tighter than a medium choke or you can cause dmg to the choke and possibly the barrel. some say you can do it just fine, but I don't trust squeezing that much lead out of a full choke. no ty! lol

Your comments were very helpful. It sounds like I at least want to try 00 buckshot and slugs to learn the range of my shotgun. So, modified choke for 50 yards or less and full choke for 100 yds. I'm guessing slugs are the choice for 100 yards?

^^ That;).

If your hunting with a shotgun you should only be hunting areas that provide 100 yard shots or less.

Get a barrel that has iron sites on it - beads are for birds imo.

I'll do my best here... shot size only influences range as it affects a proper kill. One doesn't want to wound if one can help it. Look at the chart provided and think about what the lethal zone is of the animal you want to hunt, then adjust the choke and range to be the most effective. I'm saying it's variable... that is shotgunning.

I don't hunt deer with a shotgun... don't think you're going to find members that do... is it even legal in this state?

For other game, I think the best thing might be for you to make a specific request of the animal you want, say, a turkey.

As I understand, in Oregon, slugs in a shotgun are legal for deer hunting. Slugs I think make a 12 gauge a .74 bore? Also, some say they would not hunt turkey without #4 shot, whereas others have made a turkey kill with #5, #6, and #7--I think these were successful due to short range! And for turkeys, I understand there is a special turkey choke. Eventually, I want to get a deer rifle. Perhaps, BBBass, when deer season rolls around, I'll join you on a hunt around Ontario, Oregon!

btw if you want still reusable targets: go to goodwill and get yourself some plastic ball pit balls and plastic bowling sets from the toys section. Makes great cheap re-usable shotgun targets!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top