JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
last week end --wife and i were out on blm land target shooting (handgun and ak+sk) . sheriff pulled in (i new him) he said everything looked "OK" and drove off--1/2 hour later another sheriff pulled in (SHE mind you) got out of truck w/citation book inhand--asked what we were shooting , and at what ? i told her we were shooting handguns at clays hanging in dead tree (same dead tree i'v been shooting at for 15 yrs.)we're talken real dead !! she made the comment we were "destroying property" i told her that the other officer had already been there , and didn't see a problem ! she made the comment "he didn't know anything !" ok-really here i says --he's been on the force for over 20 yrs.,and you've been on the force for 2 yrs. get real ! she wanted hunting licenses--i told her we didn't have to have them for target practice==anyway a guy drives buy on main hwy with a kid sitten on top of stack of wood , and she took off !! i went to "BLM" office in town,then to sheriffs office--this is the ruling===
***Where can I shoot my gun on BLM public lands?

State and local laws relating to the use of firearms or other weapons apply on public lands due to proximity to residential areas, high recreational use, or other resource concerns.

It is legal to discharge firearms including handguns, rifles, and shotguns on public lands in Oregon and Washington as long as you are outside of designated developed sites and areas that have been closed to shooting due to proximity to residential areas. Consult with the BLM District where you want to shoot to determine which areas are closed. The BLM in the Pacific Northwest does not maintain any designated shooting ranges. While shooting please remember it is illegal to:

•Create a hazard or nuisance.
•Dispose of cans, bottles, and other nonflammable trash and garbage except in designated places or receptacles-pack it in, pack it out.
•Deface, remove, or destroy plants or their parts, soil, rocks or minerals, or cave resources.
•Deface, disturb, remove, or destroy any personal property, or structures, or scientific, cultural, or archeological or historic resource, natural object, or area.

needless to say--someone got their butt chewed,and it wasn't me , but in all due respect were really not supposed to shoot at dead trees (they are part of habitat) so take target backboards with you,and it's best to have HL with you == i received 2 phone calls of apology the next morning !!:s0155:

steven

last week end --wife and i were out on blm land target shooting (handgun and ak+sk) . sheriff pulled in (i new him) he said everything looked "OK" and drove off--1/2 hour later another sheriff pulled in (SHE mind you) got out of truck w/citation book inhand--asked what we were shooting , and at what ? i told her we were shooting handguns at clays hanging in dead tree (same dead tree i'v been shooting at for 15 yrs.)we're talken real dead !! she made the comment we were "destroying property" i told her that the other officer had already been there , and didn't see a problem ! she made the comment "he didn't know anything !" ok-really here i says --he's been on the force for over 20 yrs.,and you've been on the force for 2 yrs. get real ! she wanted hunting licenses--i told her we didn't have to have them for target practice==anyway a guy drives buy on main hwy with a kid sitten on top of stack of wood , and she took off !! i went to "BLM" office in town,then to sheriffs office--this is the ruling===
***Where can I shoot my gun on BLM public lands?

State and local laws relating to the use of firearms or other weapons apply on public lands due to proximity to residential areas, high recreational use, or other resource concerns.

It is legal to discharge firearms including handguns, rifles, and shotguns on public lands in Oregon and Washington as long as you are outside of designated developed sites and areas that have been closed to shooting due to proximity to residential areas. Consult with the BLM District where you want to shoot to determine which areas are closed. The BLM in the Pacific Northwest does not maintain any designated shooting ranges. While shooting please remember it is illegal to:

•Create a hazard or nuisance.
•Dispose of cans, bottles, and other nonflammable trash and garbage except in designated places or receptacles-pack it in, pack it out.
•Deface, remove, or destroy plants or their parts, soil, rocks or minerals, or cave resources.
•Deface, disturb, remove, or destroy any personal property, or structures, or scientific, cultural, or archeological or historic resource, natural object, or area.

needless to say--someone got their butt chewed,and it wasn't me , but in all due respect were really not supposed to shoot at dead trees (they are part of habitat) so take target backboards with you,and it's best to have HL with you == i received 2 phone calls of apology the next morning !!:s0155:

steven

Oh, what a bunch of crap.

Where were you specifically? I see you are in Prineville and I know the surrounding area well. Regardless she was for the most part wrong and you did the right thing. Hopefully you have this documented with the Sheriff's Dept. in case you have any problems with her in the future. The dead tree issue was asinine on her part. The only thing I disagree with you on is the need for the hunting license. While a 'gray' area unless you are on an official range (muni, private etc.) and are carrying a firearm on BLM or NF technically you are 'hunting' and can be cited - I know two people who have been cited for same. Rarely will you be asked for a license if it is obvious you are target shooting (benches, targets etc.) as you have never been in 15 years. Similarly if you have a HL and are in a hunting unit without a tag for the game being hunted you cannot be in possession of a firearm at all. Seems like you were being unlawfully hassled by a do-gooder on a mission to save the environment.

Several years ago I was in Deer Camp tagged out and fooling around camp. We were out of Hepner and far from any paved roads. I saw in one day FIVE different LEO's from four different jurisdictions messing with folks. OSP, Sherrif, two different Federal Cops, ODFW (nice guy) and a Forest service guy, but I won't count him.

Steve,
Sometime the female officers think they have something to prove... I would rather deal with a male officer anyday...anyway I glad the outcome was decent in the end!

Charles

in regards to "rvtech" the area we're talking about is out george millican rd --past les schwab trucking--at approx. 8 mi. marker east side under power lines--yes i'm aware
of the gray area we are in , cuz i'v also had friends cited--only they were on the other side of the hi-way !

answer to "glockguy" NO !! --one call was from the sheriff(who just happened to be my "next" door neighbor for 20 yrs,and the other call was from other deputy .

steven

Dead trees in that area ARE an important habitat concern. I would tend to agree with the OP's reassessment.

Glad everything else turned out okay. I shoot out China Hat Rd. in Bend on occasion, but thankfully, the DCSO and the USFS LEO's are always really good about everything. Haven't had any experience with the CCSO or the BLM guys, but hopefully a little re-education for her will work out for all parties concerned...

At the ""Fish Trap" area west of Spokane, they closed nearly the entire place to "target shooting". It is part of an organized anti-gunner movement around here. They simply call the BLM, local cops or whomever they can find and claim, "bullets are whizzing by them" as they hike, bird watch, fish or fornicate in the area. None of the stories I have heard about "bullets whizzing by" make sense and thus far no shooter has ever been ID'd shooting anywhere near one of the "hikers".

Expect this to start popping up on BLM land all over the region.

I keep a print out of all the gun laws (RCW's) and when sheriff or other law enforcement happen by, I will display laws and ask which ones I'm violating, I've been allowed to shoot in good safe areas where they routinely kick others out. I've asked why their kicking others out of safe shooting areas they say that they are disrespectful, leave garbage, and are not interested in following the laws.

Landcbeitner- may I ask where you shoot? I was thinking about doing the same with the area outside of Granite Falls and the Sultan Basin area but last time I was there we were told to leave by a very rude deputy and told that we'd have our firearms "seized" if we shot there again. It was a perfect range: 100 yards, open, huge stump/dirt pile as a backstop and a large almost barren hill behind that. I still see people shooting there...

i shoot on "BLM" land --witch is public land -- i'm in crook county, and it is loaded with blm property--i went to internet first , and checked on shooting laws while on "blm" property (look around you'll find em , and if in dought check with blm office in your area--some of the city,and sheriff's don't know the "exact" rulings on shooting laws while on blm land--
**time 1:30 ** up date---

i just stopped a "odfw" officer, and talked to him on shooting in the area we were in w/no HL -- he says there is no gray area there--it's black,and white --we were in the right !! when i mentioned the dead tree--he said "you gotta be kidden me"

go figure.......steven

Printing the BLM regs, county and state laws regarding shooting on public land and keeping them with you is always a good idea. I have a copy in my car everytime I go out. I've never had a problem on my property, but just in case I have a copy of the county property record listing the owner(namely me) and the description of my property. Laminated along with it is the country regs for shooting on private property.

Granted it took fifteen years to find a piece of afforable property, but when I got the chance I bought one. I got tired of getting lumped in with the slobs who seem to ruin every piece of stae and BLM land in my area.

Don't make the assumption that all officers know the laws. I'm not so sure your situation was the result of a female with something to prove, or a rookie with something to prove. A lot of youngsters in the business just like to f--k with people and many times make it up as they go.

Try speaking with her supervisor, or if that won't work, make an appointment with the sheriff. Be polite and make sure you are on firm legal ground.

When my son was a youngster, he had one of those low-rider cars with the neon lights under them. Local cops liked to stop them and write tickets for "non-standard lighting." I went to court with him and informed the other officer that law applies to lighting equipment installed such as; headlights must be a certain candle power and height from the ground. Tail lights must be red, and clearly visible, etc, etc, etc. The law had nothing to do with axillary lights installed on cars. I had the officer and the judge searching their vehicle codes for several minutes, and the judge ruled that I was correct. I pissed off a fellow officer, but the law is the law. You can't make it up.

Similarly it used to be common practice for anyone who rear-ended another car to get a citation for violating the basic rule (VBR) traveling faster than conditions allow. I pointed out to a sergeant once that was an incorrect charge, that it should be following too close, but was ordered to write it because it has been used for years. The next week the traffic judge wrote the department a letter, saying he would dismiss all such improper citations that came to his court.

Too many times I've seen this kind of behavior take on a life of it's own because; "That's the way it's always been done."

"bear" the thing is --if i were to stop at blm office,and pick up wood permit for 7.00 , then cut the tree down "IT'S MY TREE"

I just hope it wasn't one of the "Old Growth Juniper" that the tree huggers are always talking about.....we are desperately short of juniper around this part of the state.......:s0114:

I just hope it wasn't one of the "Old Growth Juniper" that the tree huggers are always talking about.....we are desperately short of juniper around this part of the state.......:s0114:

what-you-did-there-i-see-it.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads