JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am a rifle guy but after falling in love with my glock I am looking to get a .22 plinker. I want an accurate, semi-auto, target pistol nothing too crazy. Any suggestions???

I bought the ruger sr22 pisto when it first came out for my fiancee and I use it more than her. Very fun gun for around $300. My only dislike is that the mag only holds 10 rds. You go through 10 rds pretty fast.

Ruger 22/45 or MK3, Glock upper if available, or Browning Buckmark.
The Brownings and Ruger have amazing reputations and the upper for previously stated reasons, I don't know about the quality. A Smith 41 if you want one of the best but priciest.

I really like shooting my Browning Buckmark. I payed around $300 for it on sale at Fisherman's Marine. A friend who has a Ruger MKII (?) told me he likes my Browning better than his Ruger. I'd really like to try both the Ruger SR22 and the S&W MP22 and get one of those as well.

As for what you'll like, only you will know, so my best advice is to go try some different 22's. before handing over the $. Some indoor ranges rent guns or perhaps you have a buddy who has a 22 you could try.

I have seen the buckmark on Top Guns and it seems like a solid gun. I'm interested in the ruger too, I have had nothing but good luck with my ruger rifles. I'm going to the local shop this coming week, I'll let you know what I end up with.

Today was 22 day.Cheap and easy.
Buckmark Hunter,I believe .Bull barrel with a picantiny top rail
Walther P22,the little 3" gun not the longer version.Mine and my buddy had his.
And the 10 22s
We were hitting targets at 140+- yards with all 3 guns.I have laser ranged it,so not just guessing.
Whole lotta fun was had today.

The 10 22s? I was shooting as good with the darn Buckmark as with the 10 22s.Open sites

Best ammo was the cheapo Blazer stuff

Ruger 22/45, MKIII or Browning Buckmark. You'll shoot thousands of rounds through it and then shoot thousands more :)

10/22 is an awesome little rifle with so many fun things you can do to it!

~Mitch

If you want a gun that you can take down and put back together without wanting to turn the gun on yourself steer clear of the Ruger Mark anythings. These guns are accurate but are a bear to take down and another chore to get back together. I sold both of mine due to this issue. I love my Buckmark pistol. Easy take down and it is accurate as any.
As for rifles, my 10/22's have just lost their "fun factor" after the purchase of an M&P 15-22! The M&P functions flawlessly after loading 5 different ammunition's and shooting fast, slow, mixing the ammo, no matter what it functioned without one single hiccup! I love it! I have enjoyed the 10/22's but as we all know they are picky and only like one ammo in most cases and not one of my 6 10/22's likes the same ammo as the other. I love the fact that with the 15-22 I can buy whats on sale and know that it is gonna feed with no issues!
My 2cents in the .22 world, probably not worth the paper it's written on.:)

As a Bullseye shooter, I can tell you that the majority of pistols used are pretty much divided evenly between Rugers and Browning Buckmarks. Of course, there are the high enders as well, but I don't think the OP was talking about Model 41's or Pardinis, etc. Pretty much everyone who owns one agrees that the Ruger is more of a PIA to tear down, and the Browning owners (which includes myself) agree that it is VERY easy to lighten the trigger pull on a Buckmark. Mine is down to 22 oz, for example. Took about 17 seconds. Both shoot well, and both are quality firearms. The guy who showed up with a Neo is trying very hard to sell it.

Yes, the Ruger is a pain to tear down. When I first got mine, 22/45MK3 TB I wanted to track down the designer and shove the gun up his butt. Then I got used to it and can do it super fast now. On the MK3 if you spend $10 for the mag disconnect replacement bushing it takes about 30 seconds to strip it and put it back together, I just timed it and I haven't pulled it apart in a LONG time. Besides, you really don't need to tear it down often at all, nearly all the parts can be cleaned with a Qtip.

Besides, you really don't need to tear it down often at all, nearly all the parts can be cleaned with a Qtip.

I have heard this a lot.Some say it's stupid to take a semi apart every time to clean it
Spray the bubblegum out of it,brush and swab the barrel,Qtip the inside and wipe her down.

I like my Hi-Standard supermatic, very accurate for match shooting and great for taking grouse and rabbits, and fun on tin cans. They cost more than the Rugers and Buckmarks, but they have great feel, balance, and retain their value.

I haven't been on the forum in a bit but did get a browning buckmark and am one happy SOB. I freaking love this thing, after getter her dialed in she is super accurate and after about 500 rounds not a single jam.

... you already have the Ruger 10/22 rifle.
Looked at the 10/22 Charger?
Ruger® 22 Charger™ Rimfire Pistol Models

An older review but good reading ...
Ruger’s New .22 Charger Semi-Auto Pistol

You likely are already aware of the big aftermarket for Ruger 10/22 rifle and pistol.
You can spend as much time and money as you like. Or nothing at all, just enjoy the stock rocker.

Have a poke around on the rimfirecentral site too ...

And if you are near to a Walmart ... you might find a bargain to be had next weekend's July 4th sale(s).

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top