JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If the recording device is hidden make sure you inform the person ( or officer ) that you are recording or it is a crime. That is why officers give the disclaimer when they record.

To clarify, if I or my loved ones are in immediate danger, I will (because I can) respond with my favorite weapon in hand. But when they are needed, I will be grateful for their response and willingness to do a job that I and many others are incapable or unwilling to do.

Transparency is a good thing for everyone..... keeps people honest.

This should be a no-brainer of an issue in America. Media and citizens alike have every right to document the actions of government officials performing their duties in public locations. Confiscating cameras and arresting photographers smacks of third world tyranny.

i disbelieve that wholesome actions a cop can make that can be "misconstrued."

always be honest, you'll always look honest. kicking a guy in the face while he's handcuffed cannot be misconstrued- it's always going to be kicking a guy in the face while he's handcuffed.

---

and... "when the chips are down," i'm not calling the police- i'm calling "cover me while i move!"

Same thing here in Oregon, only one party needs to be aware that recording is taking place.

this only applies to telephone conversations- personal conversations are protected, and you have to inform. THE COP CAN'T TELL YOU TO STOP RECORDING, but they need to be aware. ORS 165.540

As an LEO if I know someone is recording me I will put it my report. If you refuse to give me your contact information I will charge you with R&O. The second that recorder comes on it is now evidence of the incident and must be made available to the court. I have no problem being recorded, that IS your right. But, if it hits the fan are you going to be in the way causing me more stress and danger: I now have to worry about your butt as well? As I said I have no issue being recorded, just do it responsibly and respectfully. Stay out of my way and keep your mouth shut (if close enough to be a distraction). Also, some people who would generally be compliant and not cause problems get a little mouthier with the camera's on, and will make comments that are unnecessary. Here is a cop doing a good job handling an open carry citizen. Guy open carry stopped by ex Marine Policeman - YouTube

I have no use or need for LE whatsoever. I'll rely on myself, thanks.

Yeah, I get that. But you don't live in a society with no LE, so its a moot point. You rely on yourself while living in a country with protection on several levels all the way down to your own little community. Believe me, your life would be a lot different if it were not true. LE provides a needed service to maintain a level of order and decency. Rely on them to save my life when the chips are down? No. Not because they won't, its because more than likely they won't be able to be right where I need them right when I need it. But I wouldn't be so naive to say they don't provide my community with an important service that I benefit from. So I get what you're saying Redcap, but it needs to be qualified a bit.

Don't like the job? Get another. You have no reasonable expectation of privacy on a public street. I can follow you around and videotape you until **** freezes over and post it all on the internet and you have no recourse whatever.

Why do cops get a free pass from something every other person in the country has to deal with? Oh, that's right, the ones objecting to it are abusing their authority and violating the law. Ya, no kidding they don't want to be recorded.

You're missing my point. I support the taping. I'd just like the other issues addressed as well. Its important.

how exactly is he doing a "good job?" he approaches a peaceful citizen for no reason but to exert authority over him... he's sort of polite about it- that makes it "good?"

you're a moron.

Obviously you didn't listen to beginning of the video. "We're getting a lot of calls about you carrying your gun." And what authority did he exert over him? I bet you'd be singing a different tune if this peaceful citizen started shooting people as they drove by, and the cops had seen him previously and not done anything about it nor approached him. Jack ***

Obviously you didn't listen to beginning of the video. "We're getting a lot of calls about you carrying your gun." And what authority did he exert over him? I bet you'd be singing a different tune if this peaceful citizen started shooting people as they drove by, and the cops had seen him previously and not done anything about it nor approached him. Jack ***

In most places, the dispatcher should tell the caller "Openly carrying a firearm isn't illegal"(unless it is) and ask them if they are doing anything threatening like pointing it at people.

Was that Oceanside, CA by chance? That would explain why the gun was unloaded. I'd also say that was a good stop by CA standards.

In most places, the police shouldn't have even responded. If someone starts firing, that's a completely different manner. They're committing a crime. I'd like to see every car stopped because they might run down pedestrians on the sidewalk. Similar argument and most would say absurd.

So many are quick to critisize, slow to support our LEO's, when they are protecting us and our loved ones...yes, yes, there are some bad ones, and unsurprisingly, they are found out. Kind of reminds me of my time in the service in the 60's...spit on when I came home, by those cheap seat quarterbacks unwilling to do their part. So please, bring on the hate responses...but really, who are you gonna call when the chips are down? Someone from this thread who is doing the bashing???

I don't think anyone here is criticizing LEOs in general, just the ones who do things they shouldn't. While some bad officers do get found out I don't think that they all do, and of those who do get caught I think too many get off with a slap on the wrist where a non-LEO would probably be serving time. I don't have a problem with people recording them, I do have a problem with how the recordings are represented at times though. Perfect example would be the cop that punched a teenage girl awhile back because she was interfering with him detaining another teen. IMO he was doing his job and his actions were completely justified. The news however aired it constantly with footage of another cop stomping a prone suspect as if both cases were cut and dried abuses by the police when really only one was. :s0159:

that's like getting calls because somebody is playing hopscotch on the sidewalk... and no, i wouldn't be singing a different tune if somebody started throwing hopscotch rocks at passing cars and the police hadn't previously detained the hopscotch players and inspected their legally owned and possessed rock.

Not in person. One party recording without notice is only legal in Oregon using the phone. In person, you must notify the other person that they are being recorded.

So, your neighbor steals you tools.... Are you going to arrest him and take him to jail by yourself?
The problem isn't that the police aren't valued as providing a good service. The problem is that we know, from court cases and experience, that the police departments are not required to provide us protection (see DeShaney v Winnebago County, Gonzalez v Castle Rock, etc.).

We are left to our own devices for personal protection, and having a few police officers who act as if they are lord and master of all they survey does no one, not the department they represent, nor the public at large, any good. The to tape those individuals while they are performing their duties in a horrendous manner is of great value to the whole, not just the injured party. Everyone benefits when a bad cop is taken off the street. To have the departments defend and protect bad officers (by confiscating/destroying tapes and cameras) serves no one other than the unions.

But hey, I'm just an old retired GI, what do I know?

Will we ever get them back if the police arrest him?

The problem isn't that the police aren't valued as providing a good service. The problem is that we know, from court cases and experience, that the police departments are not required to provide us protection (see DeShaney v Winnebago County, Gonzalez v Castle Rock, etc.).

We are left to our own devices for personal protection...

While the police are not necessarily responsible for your PERSONAL safety, they create and environment in which you can REASONABLY provide for your own personal safety. Providing for your personal safety in a community where there is NO policing would be a very different matter. That's the issue with stating someone has "no use" for the police. Its unreasonable to say that when you live in a policed society. (I know you didn't state that, just addressing that piece of your argument)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top