JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As much as I know this will pain the people who use it with NWFA, TapaTalk is currently disabled, possibly for good this time.

An serious exploit was found in the TapaTalk forum plugin this week which left every forum running their software vulnerable. Luckily, NWFA was not targeted. Rather than notify forum owners using the vulnerable software, they quietly released a new version with a security patch. It'd debatable whether this is the best course of action when an exploit is discovered, as you don't want to alert those wishing to exploit the software before owners have time to patch it, but they didn't notify us forum owners of the new version, which they certainly should have done. No decent forum admin would ignore an urgent email telling them to update to the latest version.

This is not the first time this has happened with TapaTalk, more like the fourth. If they don't care about the security of people running their software, we can no longer continue to run it. I'm not going to put this community at risk for *any* reason.

I'm still looking into our options, but the best one seems to be resizing ads for mobile users and using the built in responsive XenForo design. The biggest drawback of this is the lack of push notifications, but these are easily replaced by email alerts on mobile devices. I'd like to hear thoughts from our TapaTalk users on this issue.

I'll be looking at all our options, including the development of our own app if it's something we can do for a reasonable price. Honestly, if I get the ads squared away the default responsive mobile design is really nice, and we can configure push notifications. Do you use the TapaTalk push notifications?

I really like Tapatalk and have been using it for years here and everywhere else I can. However, if that's what it comes down to, thats we/you have to do. Do what is right for the community/yourself now that this is your job.

I have been using TapaTalk for some time and I do like the functionality but if there are security holes then keep it off.

Agreed. I use TapaTalk for several different forums, and really like the utility of a single application on my mobile device. But if TapaTalk brings security risks to the party, I don't want this guest. Do what you have to do.

I'd like to hear thoughts from our TapaTalk users on this issue.
Maybe it was rude for the developers to not notify forum owners of the patch, but hopefully they got it patched for good. Like a lot of people, I use Tapatalk for several forums since mobile browsers and forums don't mix well. I hope that you re-enable using Tapatalk.

Maybe it was rude for the developers to not notify forum owners of the patch, but hopefully they got it patched for good. Like a lot of people, I use Tapatalk for several forums since mobile browsers and forums don't mix well. I hope that you re-enable using Tapatalk.

If this were a one time thing I'd likely give them a pass, but this is the fourth time they've had a serious security flaw that exposed their users. I'm still considering it, but if we did re-enable it and something happened to NWFA it'd be our own fault for trusting them again. I'd rather improve the mobile version of the site than have that on my conscience.

The biggest issue we have with mobile on this site is the ads not being properly formatted, the functionality seems to work well. Check out http://www.northwestsportsman.com on your phone (same style, no ads) and let me know what you think.

I have tapatalk for android for my work phone and it says disabled but still get push notifications on it. I haven't used tapatalk for other forums though. I think NWFA works fine in chrome on my iphone. If its a security risk, its not worth it to me.

The reason I like Tapatalk is that Firefox sucks, Chrome isnt much better, the stock AOSP browser is fine but for some reason in the KitKat update some functionality was lost. Tapatalk does everything and faster than a browser can dream of.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top