JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Getting to the legal issue...

We've discussed this on this site before (sorry I don't have the thread), and there was a good bit of back and forth as to whether Tannerite is legal under Oregon law. I'm not saying it SHOULD be illegal, but it's AT LEAST arguable that it is. Even though it requires a high power rifle to detonate it, and even though people just have fun with it, the "device" containing Tannerite seems pretty "explosive", (isn't that the fun of it?) and manufacture of explosive devices is prohibited by Oregon law. I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying that's what the statute says. Technically that could also include CO2 (dry ice) bombs and even ordinary balloons. But Tannerite ain't like a balloon, and that's probably what got the feds interested.

I always wondered how Tannerite got away with it. I guess now we'll find out if they will. My advice: Stock Up!!!!

The power of the sword, say the minority..., is in the hands of Congress. My friends and countrymen, it is not so, for The powers of the sword are in the hands of the yeomanry of America from sixteen to sixty. The militia of these free commonwealths, entitled and accustomed to their arms, when compared with any possible army, must be tremendous and irresistible. Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man against his own bosom. Congress has no power to disarm the militia. Their swords and every terrible implement of the soldier are the birthright of Americans. The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments but where, I trust in God, it will always remain, in the hands of the people.

The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

Tench Coxe (May 22, 1755 – July 17, 1824) was an American political economist and a delegate for Pennsylvania to the Continental Congress in 1788-1789, and a key anti-Federalist, writing under the pseudonym "A Pennsylvanian".

Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American... [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people.
Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

Whereas civil rulers, not having their duty to the people duly before them, may attempt to tyrannize, and as the military forces which must be occasionally raised to defend our country, might pervert their power to the injury of their fellow citizens, the people are confirmed by the article in their right to keep and bear their private arms.
"Remarks on the First Part of the Amendments to the Federal Constitution," under the pseudonym "A Pennsylvanian" in the Philadelphia Federal Gazette, June 18, 1789.

We've discussed this on this site before (sorry I don't have the thread), and there was a good bit of back and forth as to whether Tannerite is legal under Oregon law. I'm not saying it SHOULD be illegal, but it's AT LEAST arguable that it is. Even though it requires a high power rifle to detonate it, and even though people just have fun with it, the "device" containing Tannerite seems pretty "explosive", (isn't that the fun of it?) and manufacture of explosive devices is prohibited by Oregon law. I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying that's what the statute says. Technically that could also include CO2 (dry ice) bombs and even ordinary balloons. But Tannerite ain't like a balloon, and that's probably what got the feds interested.

I always wondered how Tannerite got away with it. I guess now we'll find out if they will. My advice: Stock Up!!!!

He didn't "get away with it." He fought the legal challenges and won. I'm pretty sure that beats internet forum challenges too.

Who knows what, if any, ground they have to stand on if they are in fact taking any action right now. If the .GOV doesn't win they seem to keep pushing until they come up with something. This is especially true in a left leaning state such as ours.

even though people just have fun with it, the "device" containing Tannerite seems pretty "explosive", (isn't that the fun of it?) and manufacture of explosive devices is prohibited by Oregon law.

Opening that can of worms, I know, but 'seems' is not how the law works. 'seems' is ambiguous and can apply to many things that are dis-similar. Tannerite doesn't fall under the explosives heading because it doesn't meet the outlined definition of what an explosive is.

Thankfully.

Such a law would IMO be unconstitutional and in any case it would not be an issue for any federal agency, even were that agency constitutional, and BATF isn't

I am an employee of Tannerite...... and this thread is total FUD

we were not raided by ATF yesterday, nor did we have any contact with ATF or visit with ATF. we are inspected by ATF on occasion with regards to the company's explosive licenses, and we are on very good standing with them.

and for the naysayers, Tannerite is 100% legal to possess and shoot in the state of Oregon. And if you want to keep it that way, please contact your state senator and tell them to vote no on HB3199!!!!

Tannerite is 100% legal to possess and shoot in the state of Oregon. And if you want to keep it that way, please contact your state senator and tell them to vote no on HB3199!!!!

Quoted for emphasis though I believe the House amended version keeps Tannerite safe:

A BILL FOR AN ACT
Relating to the use of incendiary devices in proximity to
forested areas.
Be It Enacted by the People of the State of Oregon:
SECTION 1. { + Section 2 of this 2013 Act is added to and made
a part of ORS chapter 477. + }
SECTION 2. { + (1) As used in this section:
(a) 'Exploding target' means a device:
(A) Designed for use or used as a target for small arms
ammunition or for other projectiles;
(B) Consisting of a flammable substance or flammable
combination of substances
; and
(C) Capable of exploding when struck by small arms gunfire or
by other projectiles.

I am an employee of Tannerite...... and this thread is total FUD

we were not raided by ATF yesterday, nor did we have any contact with ATF or visit with ATF. we are inspected by ATF on occasion with regards to the company's explosive licenses, and we are on very good standing with them.

and for the naysayers, Tannerite is 100% legal to possess and shoot in the state of Oregon. And if you want to keep it that way, please contact your state senator and tell them to vote no on HB3199!!!!

Time to figure out who the moron that started the rumor is...

Quoted for emphasis though I believe the House amended version keeps Tannerite safe:

The following is my own personal opinion:

when it comes to the law, if it can be abused..... IT WILL!!!!! although i agree that it would keep original Tannerite legal to shoot during fire season, any knuckle dragging LEO or OSFM wont be able to tell the difference. Harassment will be abundant even with that house amendment, would rather just get rid of the bill altogether.

The following is my own personal opinion:

when it comes to the law, if it can be abused..... IT WILL!!!!! although i agree that it would keep original Tannerite legal to shoot during fire season, any knuckle dragging LEO or OSFM wont be able to tell the difference. Harassment will be abundant even with that house amendment, would rather just get rid of the bill altogether.

I completely agree and the law as written is just bad anyway. There are already laws against starting fires and penalties for doing such and causing property damage or harming a person. Making laws about things that might, potentially, possibly, could happen is just utter stupidity and is likely done just to appease special interest groups that have other agendas in mind with such legislation.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top