Tank at Hanford leaking radioactive material

PiratePast40

Reactions
The leak rate is relatively low so there isn't much of an immediate hazard. Immediate meaning 20-30 years. Single shell tanks have been leaking for years. Budget cuts are the real issue, since that affects the amount of work they can accomplish.

There's another little issue, and that is where to put the material from the tanks. Once the vit plant is completed, they can start treating waste and turning it into glass logs. But since Dingy Harry shut down the Yucca mountain repository, there's nowhere to send the waste. Even though they say it won't happen, there's plenty of room for long term storage on the reservation.

Reactions
Well I would not the stuff stored in my back yard either, don't really care how safe they say it is.

I agree with the people who live there let the people who profit from it live next to it.

I had another thought, Ole Bummer said we are recovering and the economy is doing great with astounding deficeit reductions the other night :s0054::s0054::bsflag::bsflag::s0054::s0054: why are there so many budget cuts if we are doing so well???

Reactions
Joking aside, I wonder if the Feds will have the $ to fix this as the economic situation continues to stagnate or get worse.

Peter
Yes and No

Yes from china or fed resrve or they can say it is all part of the nature of thing therefore they are going to raise peoples electric bills to pay for it and it will go to a contractor who from syria who was as incompitent as the ones who installed it and maintained it to begin with.

No there is no more money to pay for it, The Cookie jar has has done been emptied, even the crumbs have been eaten.

Reactions
Yup and there is nothing that can be done about it. Once ionizing radiation is released into the ecosystem it will be there emitting radiation for hundreds of years. Sure cancers will not start occurring for 20, or so years, but once they begin, they will continue, as there is no cure for damage being caused by ionizing radiation. The solution to the problem seems to have always been moving the contamination to another area before the ecosystem is contaminated. Once contaminated though it is now part of your culture. Future health care in the PNW will be a future challenge for sure. You folks ought to be happy that you have Obamacare to work for you. Good luck with a deadly situation.

OP
ATCclears

ATCclears

Reactions
<broken link removed>

I read another article in the past 2 days that said the tanks are leaking 1,000 gallons per year.

None of this is good for those near or downstream from Hanford.

Peter

UPCOMING EVENTS

Free Firearms Safety Course Webinar (I-1639 Compliant)
Virtual Webinar (Zoom). Registration Link in the course description.
Washington, USA
Rimfire Challenge Feb 13th @ DRRC
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA
Project Appleseed
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA
Albany Rifle & Pistol Club (ARPC) Gun Show
Linn County Expo Center
3700 Knox Butte Rd E, Albany, OR 97322, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• Paul A Martin Historical Guns
    5.00 star(s)
    Great shop, selection and atmosphere
    One of the better firearm shop experiences I’ve had, Paul is very patient and helpful. Definitely going to be a repeat customer even though it’s...
  • Adaptive Firing Solutions
    5.00 star(s)
    Great Service! A+
    Steve is a very nice guy and very easy to work with. I've done business with him a few times and will continue to.
    5.00 star(s)
    Great guy!
    Steve is a great guy to deal with!
  • HighLine Firearms
    5.00 star(s)
    Nice Home Shop
    Had what I wanted at a good price. Messaged me when in stock.
    5.00 star(s)
    Excellent Service
    Steve is an excellent guy to deal with. After looking at some Form 4 items at another dealer who didnt seem interested in my money, i emailed...
Top Bottom