JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Has anyone used both of these setups and prefer one over the other? I think the Talley lightweight rings are good because they're simple and have more surface contact with the scope. However I feel the Leupold dual dovetails look a bit classier. Any thoughts?

Ive used both and I tend to choose based on what style of rifle. If its a classic rifle like a Pre-64 M70, I lean toward dual dovetails. On something modern like a Tikka, I usually go with Talley Lightweights. Scope tube length and your eye relief may make one configuration work better than others.

Dual dovetail rings and mounts are steel and can be a pain to square without tools, but are very strong. I have less confidence in aluminum rings but that could be unwarranted.

I'm only mounting a scope on this one rifle so it wouldn't make sense to buy the kit. Maybe I'll take it over to Sportsman's Warehouse to get it mounted. I just wonder if they'll use proper tools. If not, I might as well just do it myself.

I have very little faith in the box stores and would recommend doing it yourself or find a friend that has the proper equipment. Talleys are my go to mounts and rarely require much if any lapping for perfect alignment as long as the tapped holes in the rifle are in decent alignment.

I've used both but any new rifle or scope I now use the Tally lightweights. Very confident now even on a Weatherby 300. The pluses are
  • crazy light weight
  • less parts and screws. No need for seperate base(s)
  • no base opens up the loading area on a bolt gun...more room for fingers
  • I can use the scope like a handle...yea I know its prob not a good idea but I do it anyway.
Hope this helps

I'm only mounting a scope on this one rifle so it wouldn't make sense to buy the kit. Maybe I'll take it over to Sportsman's Warehouse to get it mounted. I just wonder if they'll use proper tools. If not, I might as well just do it myself.

I used to use Sportsmans but I would let them do is square the rings when using dual dovetails. I did everything else myself.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top