Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Talk to me about bull barrels

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by Ironbar, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Ironbar

Ironbar Tigard, OR Well-Known Member

Thinking of putting one on my 10/22. What say you?

And before anyone goes off about the added weight issue let me just say, I like my rifles on the heavy side.

2. MarkAd

MarkAd Port Orchard Well-Known Member

so you like your women the same way? Not judging, just asking. I like bull barrels but then i like a lot of bull.
    Oh the serious side. It depends on what you are going to use it for. Knowing this would let us get you better opinions, but ireally comes down to what you want.

3. Ironbar

I want to shoot bullets out of my rifle.

4. jluck

jluck Really,Really, Close to Newport Oregon 97365 Voted #1 Member

If you want a more accurate rifle and are good with the weight, it sounds like a no brainer to me. Just buy a good quality barrel.

5. dracozny

dracozny Oregon Member

there are all sorts of ways to improve accuracy but we have no idea what you have done to this rifle already.

6. Grommit327

Grommit327 Buckley Active Member

Pretty sure my bull barrel was equal to or lighter than my factory barrel. Tac-sol aluminum

7. Ironbar

Jerry is that you??!

8. xlsbob

xlsbob coos county Platinum Supporter Platinum Supporter

I've got a couple 10-22's with Alumalite bull barrels, Whistle Pig makes good barrels also. It's pretty much a matter of how much you want to spend and what you want it made of. As far as I know .920 is standard 10-22 bull barrel size.

9. Ironbar

This is what I've done to it so far, with a few internal upgrades:

LazerGun01.jpg

10. Otter

Otter Oregon - mid Willamette Valley Active Member

I would like the extra weight alone as I think the 10/22 is to light of a rifle with the standard issue birch or plastic stock. Like you I favor a little heft to a rifle, up to a point. I bought my 10/22 in the sporter model because of the heavier walnut stock.

With a 10/22 you don't gain a lot more by going with a bull barrel. A .22LR doesn't have a lot of barrel whip to begin with so the extra stiffness of a bull barrel doesn't yield a lot of benefit in that regard. The key to optimum accuracy is matching the load to the harmonics of the barrel, which you will have to do regardless of the barrel contour. If you shoot a lot of rounds at once, like sage rat hunting, the bull barrel will heat up slower, but it will also take longer to cool. I would give up stiffness and get the fluted bull barrel to aid with cooling.