Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Talk me out of selling... or into it...

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by MountainBear, Dec 20, 2012.

1. MountainBear

MountainBear Sweet Home, OR Well-Known Member

I have an AK in my safe. I haven't shot it in almost a year. It sits there and looks pretty. Its a Yugo Underfolder. It was imported by century, but has none of the issues that century has had. No canted sights, no keyhole issues. Its fun to shoot, but I just don't. I tend to shoot my other toys. But it's a nice rifle and I got it from a friend.
    With the recent upshoot in prices and the holiday season upon us, I'm looking at it and thinking that it's value may never be as high as it is now. I could drop it at the local gunshop and probably have it sold in hours at a price I would have thought to be insane last week.
    Do I really want to do this? I keep thinking about selling it but haven't really been sure. What do you think?

2. Key-Hay

Key-Hay North Carolina Active Member

Wait a while longer...The insanity is just getting started.

3. MountainBear

Sadly, I think you are right...

4. ShootFirst

ShootFirst Southern Oregon Active Member

Search some gun website, prices are up as much as 300-400 some sites I have seen.

5. Key-Hay

Like I said on another thread. ARs were around $499 new (Colts) back pre 1994. By 1995 I was seeing them for sale for $1700. However I don't think there were the numbers of ARs out there that there are now. There were a ton of AKs so I don't remember the prices of them going as high as the ARs.

6. Morpheus

Morpheus Columbia Gorge Anyway, back on the farm.

Honestly, even if you haven't shot it in a while you may want to keep it. There are two ifs which you might consider. If you sell it and if there is an gun ban, you may never get to purchase one again. Which might be a very sad situation.

Of course if you sell it, and there is a ban that requires the turning in of all listed firearms you have money and the other person has a very hard choice to make.

Kind of sucks either way.

7. mr11b

mr11b Portland, OR Member

My only suggestion is if you want something that's in demand right now, sell to buy lower. Those things you might want will go up, just as the value of your AK will. If you want to put the cash towards something else, can't hurt to wait. Just my two pennies.

8. Key-Hay

If they require "Turning in" there will be all sorts of other things to worry about.

9. Bushman

Bushman Auburn, WA Well-Known Member

Sell it and buy 3-6 stripped lowers at the current prices.

10. TapRackNGo

TapRackNGo PNW Well-Known Member

Forgive me, if I am laughing from your recent threads about price gouging, but maybe you are coming around. Price gouging is a myth, and usually a term used by those who are a day late and a dollar short. I would say if you can get the extra $$ and invest it into a platform, pay some bills, that would suite you better than go for it. I would however like to point out you were calling people bubblegums yesterday for doing the exact same thing. It's simply the free market.

11. MountainBear

I see some differences. First, I haven't done anything, I am simply contemplating the pros and cons. Second, I did not buy it simply to make a profit the next day. In point of fact, its the first time in a while that its actually worth what I paid for it. And people who bought Pmags for 13$ in order to sell them the next day for 40$ are bubblegums. This gun has been in my safe for several years. Feel free to question the evolution of my thoughts on the matter if you see this rifle in the classified section though...

locobob, samuelm16, Grunwald and 3 others like this.
  12. TapRackNGo

I would say if the market is prime and you can get it, do it. I am not questioning anything, I would do the same thing, and have in the past. I am a firm believer in selling off what isn't used to invest in things that are needed / wanted. I would probably wait a week or so myself and see if the AK market catches up to the crazy AR market right now. Best of luck on your sale.

13. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

I stop in the local shop to see what got traded in.
    They had a Norinco AK come in Wednesday night ,put it on the rack about 1:30 Thursday and sold it at 2 .
    For $600 and change.
    1 guy handled it and the next bought it.....because there wasn't any ARs left

The only price gouging there will be is what we let happen.

14. H2O MAN

H2O MAN Georgia - USA Well-Known Member

There is no such thing as 'price gouging'.

The buyer either agrees to pay the price or the buyer walks and continues shopping.

15. rds801

rds801 Portland Member

Man, I can put 4 PMAGS on Gunbroker to fund my Aimpoint purchase.

16. MountainBear

Yeah, I decided not to take part too much. I put the AK back in the safe. I have enough stuff to pay off a lot of bills in the safe, but I like my toys. I think my stuff will just stay in the safe for now.

17. TapRackNGo

Ha good for you. Now the next question, if AK values doubled next week?

18. nwo

nwo Southern Oregon Well-Known Member

If it were me, I would hold onto it. Even if you sold it at an insane price, it's just money. You will have sold the rifle, and soon after would have spent the money. Leaving you with neither.

19. PDXSparky

PDXSparky Keizer / Hillsboro Well-Known Member

Good choice. Current panic aside, I can't count the number of times I've read people post: "I regret selling that gun". Don't be a regretter.

20. MountainBear

Still going to be in the safe. The complete AR lower? That I don't know about. Haven't decided yet.

Honestly, I'm a notorious gun of the month whore. I've probably owned between 500 and 600 guns over the last 15 years. I buy sell and trade to enhance my collection and play with various toys. It's amazing the toys you think you need until you own one. Then its fun for a week and then its expendable. The guns that hold permanent places in my collection are some of the custom guns that I've built. Guns like the first rifle I built from the action up in gunsmithing school. The "assault rifle" types (as the liberals so erroneously call them) are generally expendable. As long as I have one or two to use for defense if the need should arise, I am peachy. The part that bothers me about the possibility of a the assault weapons ban is that I may not be able to afford some of the toys I have not yet owned. P-90, M1A, etc. I've shot plenty, but never owned some. Very depressing...