JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
IMHO,

I think you need to be out of debt first(if you aren't already), then consider the dollar amount of the IRA and what portion of your portfolio this is. If it's everything you have, then maybe peel a bit away, but not all of it. I agree with most of the posts that say taxes will most likely go up. In addition I think we will have a larger inflation rate over then next 20yrs. and we will probably be required to put a portion of our retirement accounts in government guaranteed bonds/securities. This doesn't mean the markets will melt down, our markets are resilient and will find a way to survive regardless of government debt levels and inflation, even if that means moving their operations to more friendly countires. I pick good companies, with good products, good earnings and good dividends and a long track record(this doesn't mean they'll all succeed, but I believe a majority of them will).

Personally I have continued to contribute to my tax deferred accounts, but instead of increasing the amount of my contributions to the tax deferred accounts over the past few years I have started investing in taxable mutual funds and saving cash, purchasing silver, firearms, ammo, preps(food, water, canning and dehydrating equipment, power generation equipment, power and hand tools, medical supplies, fuel, etc.). Essentially my family and I are saving up hard goods and assets to become more self sufficient/self reliant I don't know if we'll see something like the great depression, but we'll do our best if we do.

I should add, we have joined a local CERT team, worked on getting more training(HAM radio, chainsaw classes, firearms safety classes) even on things I think I already know about(amazing what we can learn). Preparedness isn't just stuff, though stuff helps, knowing how to use your "stuff" means more to survival than a pile of gold or a bunch of mutual funds. You seem to have most of this covered already, which is awesome.

So in essence for my family we have diversified, not only investments but our life and lifestyle which has really improved our survivability and reduced our stress levels about what we see going on around us.

Luck to you no matter what you choose.

People naive enough to hang onto IRAs (believing they will mean anything to you down the road after the dollar collapse), you have until Monday to cash them out in 2012.

Why delay paying taxes when taxes 2013 - 2016 are going to be going through the roof? All you are doing is pushing your 'savings' into a higher percentage tax period. An IRA is not 'tax free' it is just a delayed tax. High inflation will destroy any gains as well as taxes.

If you think the bank looks at you funny when you want a significant amount of CASH for yourself, prepare for the resistance you will get from the pirates when you call to withdraw/cancel your IRA. There is a reason for that. The pirates don't want to let go of your loot.

Have faith in yourself. Not in a corporation or a bank.

2013 tax ahoy!! Skip to 01:10 for your 2013 tax surprises.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fear doesn't come into play at all, just logic and facts. Yes, that Chili would be something real. It would benefit me at some point. Funny monopoly money pre-dollar collapse will not. IRA LOL - what a sad joke.

People really believe that the way things are going ridiculous IRA/digits will mean they can sit on the porch in luxury? No, in summary, "poof." With coming hyperinflation, an IRA may not last hours, let alone days.

Take a crap in your backyard and bury it. It will have about as much value as an IRA when it comes time to dig it up.

hey do whatever you feel is necessary. im going to talk with my cpa and financial advisor and decide what to do that way.

im not against having some ammo, food and water for a natural disaster like one of our volcanos erupting.

but planning for the complete and total collapse of the largest economy on earth is pretty ridiculous. but, again, do what you feel is right and good luck.

Fear doesn't come into play at all, just logic and facts. Yes, that Chili would be something real. It would benefit me at some point. Funny monopoly money pre-dollar collapse will not. IRA LOL - what a sad joke.

People really believe that the way things are going ridiculous IRA/digits will mean they can sit on the porch in luxury? No, in summary, "poof." With coming hyperinflation, an IRA may not last hours, let alone days.

Take a crap in your backyard and bury it. It will have about as much value as an IRA when it comes time to dig it up.

Back in 1971 R L Preston wrote a book on the coming crash, it has still yet to happen. If a man took out his retirement back then and put it in a can in the yard how would he be doing? Just saying that they have drug this out over forty years and they can drag it farther. If I had the money I would do things to make money with it rather than bury it in the yard.

Yes it is going to tank, I do agree with you but god only knows when.

Well, I did not liquidate. Instead I simply moved some things around and bought PM stocks.

Meanwhile, if I had liquidated it and simply bought PMAGS and ammo in mid-December I could have doubled or tripled my money in a week. UGH...

So, these are not actual figures, but let's say hypothetically I had taken $30,000 out and bought 3 things with it:

AR and AK ammo $10,000 would have become $20,000 in a week, and very liquid.
Gold and Silver $10,000 - not much movement, maybe a loss of 1-3% in the last month, so about $9800 - ish
Hi-Cap magazines $10,000 - would have probably quadrupled in the last month, so that would have immediately become a liquid $40,000.

I usually have good instincts, and wish I would have followed my gut on this one. If ifs and buts were Christmas nuts we'd all have a very good Christmas! I sure wish I would have followed my gut and made a LOT of money overnight!

Read about this, thisAM as well....

Kind of made me sick. After the tech crash I didnt have much left anyway. I have my own saving set up now, manage it myself.

Every turn seems to be one for the worse..

Watch if there is a change in mandate of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB). This quote is from a website called Sovereign Man this morning:

"Namely, the new US Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) is now weighing how they might 'help' manage the $19.4 trillion in US retirement savings.

The math is quite simple. The US government is $16.4 trillion in debt, and will be running $1+ trillion deficits for five years in a row. And the pool of retirement savings is irresistible.

We've talked about this for years; at some point, they'll launch new regulations funneling a substantial portion of US retirement savings to 'the safety and security of government bonds.'

The idea has been bandied about before in Washington, though this is the first time that a sitting agency chief has publicly announced the intention. According to CFPB director Richard Cordray, "[Overseeing retirement accounts] is one of the things we've been exploring and are interested in in terms of whether and what authority we have."

From Argentina to Ireland, seizing pension and retirement accounts has been a popular tactic of insolvent governments since the start of the financial crisis. Why should the world's largest debtor be any different?"

I closed all my accounts starting in 2009, soon I will be paying my bills with money orders.
The theft will not stop with your IRA. Us naughty infidels must pay our yearly jizra as well.
Zeke's plan is to totaly ruin this nation and overwhelm it with Islamists, we'll be an occupied nation in a few years

Personally I am not worried about money post SHTF..

What good will Fiat money be at that point. Tangible goods, hard items, gold and silver, ect. Paper money will be worthless and what ever you may or may not have in your account (s) will be worthless and most likely drained.

Don't do anything without restructuring your IRA to remain a tax haven.
Best guy I know for the restructure and set-up is [email protected]

There are ways of legally using your moneys without penalties.
It is all about structure. You can even drain it for use.

What if everything you wanted to buy could be owned by an entity inside of your legally structured 401K or IRA holding shell?

I would also consider investing in tangibles within that protected tax haven shell.
Certain tangibles will have spikes up and down but average up over time. (Ammo is one of those that peeks at 2-3X market value and usually settles down.)
.22lr will continue to hold "currency" status for decades.

If you don't have a basic 72 hr prep kit I suggest that per person. Then develop bug-in and bugout kits. Then develop a 1 week kit per person.
Prioritize - Water, food, shelter etc.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads