JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm always on the hunt for next winter's project so I picked up an old JC Higgins 12g model 20 this spring with the intent make it a (legal) stubby HD build. Now I'm thinking a 20g might be an option since it's going to have a little less recoil and, well, it gives me an excuse to add another caliber to the lineup.
Which brings me to today. I've got a line on a Remington model 17 for really cheap. It's not nice enough to really be a collector but there's that nagging voice in the back of my head saying, "Don't cut up a 90 year old survivor". I think I'm gonna do it.

Them: Don't do it! It's Collectible and you don't have the right to modify it.

Me: Oh, well, OK I guess, so how about you buy it from me and keep it as a "collectible"?

Them:
Nope.gif

JMHO, but it's yours, do with it what you will and if someone objects they have the option of slapping down the cash.

In my opinion, a personal project far supersedes any value someone else places on the object.

If they saw it to have more value, then why aren't they in ownership of it instead?

Carry on.

An old HR Hunting pump, I thought I had a picture of it before I cut it up, anyways. A few renditions later it was quite the blaster.

F1952880-DD40-4D7E-9912-A717E16FFE46.jpeg AA0980BF-EB63-425F-AFDE-641E28331D5F.jpeg 0DB4EB2E-CA8D-4D03-B7E7-1EFCFD53D342.jpeg

Nice job on the shotgun...!

I am all for restoring or modifying a firearm to make it more useful to you.
Common sense should come into play with this ...
If :
The gun has a known and proven history...
Made by a famous maker ( thinking more along the lines of a antique muzzleloader here )
Family gun...
Rare or uncommon model...
Then , perhaps it might be best to leave it alone.

But taking a abused or neglected gun and giving it a new lease on life , rather than having it rust and rot away is a good thing in my book.
Andy

I really hate modifying an old collectable, even though I sportized a No 3 Enfield for hunting. Of course the Enfield's stock was shot and metal parts were dented. It did have fair bluing and was mechanically sound. It bench shot 3 - 4" groups at 100 yards with open sights and only cost $5 from Sears in the late 60's.

I have several shotguns in need of cleaning and repair including a Browning 16 Gauge. Do I try to refinish the Browning or cut it down for a self defense firearm? Just joking for the Browning, but how many late 1800's early 1900's 18' barreled pump shotguns do I need? Should I pass them along to someone else since I would rarely use them?

I might change my mind on the Browning if I could add a larger magazine, but would have to reload or go broke.

It's not quite done yet as I still need to finish the grip. I did some poking around for extended tube options but came up pretty much empty handed. There were some references to a Mossberg 500 tube having the same thread but I couldn't find anyone who had actually made one work. I did verify it'll swallow 8+1 Aguilla Mini Slugs though -- and it actually cycles them flawlessly. In fact, I can't get over how buttery the action is on this old thing.

It's not quite done yet as I still need to finish the grip. I did some poking around for extended tube options but came up pretty much empty handed. There were some references to a Mossberg 500 tube having the same thread but I couldn't find anyone who had actually made one work. I did verify it'll swallow 8+1 Aguilla Mini Slugs though -- and it actually cycles them flawlessly. In fact, I can't get over how buttery the action is on this old thing.

Nice!

Update: I hesitated a day too long and missed the deal on the 90 year old Remington. Finally got around to cutting up the Model 20 though.
View attachment 527626 View attachment 527627 View attachment 527628

Hands down the filthiest gun I've ever had apart. I'd bet it hadn't been cleaned since before I was born.

Nice work! Got to dig those classic scatterguns. :D

Who cares what other people think? Are you happy?

^ What he said. :)

Thanks, guys. It turned out exactly how I'd hoped and actually functions above expectations.

Who cares what other people think? Are you happy?
Absolutely! Something like this has been on my list for a long time. It was an impulse buy at my small local show last winter. It had clearly been used but not really abused. Not a peck of rust anywhere but pretty dirty and bluing worn from use. The seller claimed he was liquidating a collection for a friend who was having future ex-wife related legal issues. I didn't pry.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads