JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I remember when the original Delta Park G.I. Joe's had barrels of them for only $19.95.
Take your pick. Mags were $1.00 each, some still in the wrapper.

Since you said to talk you out of an M1.........

Here is why, I've never bought one?

1) I got many ARs, many magazines, .223 Rem. loaded ammo and components.
2) If I were to buy a M1 carbine. I'd need to buy more magazines, ammo and components. Then, I'd need to store them.
3) Then, which is a more versatile caliber?
4) Which platform will I be more likely to find ammo, magazines and/or repair parts for, in a SHTF/TEOTWAWKI situation?
5) Which one would be easier to get rid of (sell/trade) in a SHTF/TEOTWAWKI situation?
6) So, with limited money, which would be a better platform for me?

YES, I'd like one. It would be a collector/safe queen piece. Bottom line: I just couldn't see it for ME. Course, things could change in the future.

Aloha, Mark

PS....I didn't even mention the initial cost of the platform and ammo costs.

Last Edited:

2) If I were to buy a M1 carbine. I'd need to buy more magazines, ammo and components. Then, I'd need to store them.
4) Which platform will I be more likely to find ammo, magazines and/or repair parts for, in a SHTF/TEOTWAWKI situation?
5) Which one would be easier to get rid of (sell/trade) in a SHTF/TEOTWAWKI situation?

YES, I'd like one. It would be a collector/safe queen piece. Bottom line: I just couldn't see it for ME. Course, things could change in the future.

Aloha, Mark

Yaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwn.

Aloha, Mark

PS....I didn't even mention the initial cost of the platform and ammo costs.

Haa Haaa....It was ME that started the thread! I got mine, and now @Medic! is trying to get me to buy a G.I. version, and it's working. :eek: So Medic, sounds like you're looking to "Thin the Herd', so to speak? :D

Do you, does anyone, really need a reason to buy a fire arm other than you want to? Nah.

I'm very tempted to bid on this M2 that's listed on GunBroker.

M2 carbine, Iver Johnson transferable
Immediate Transfer!
Midwest Tactical Inc A+(3256)

Used Condition
FFL is required

Current Bid $6,025.00
Minimum Bid $6,050.00

Buy it now price is set at $12,000

pix957378046.jpg

I just ordered an A/O AOM 130 M1 Carbine. Why would I want to talk you out of it?

I adore the Carbine's easy handling and legendary effective impact in the hands of the late Jim Cirillo (NYPD "Stakeout Squad"). Jim stopped/killed 100% of his targets while on the "mean streets" of NYC, between 1968-1972. (The squad was disbanded due to political pressures).

The military carbine that he used was slightly modified to readily chamber the Winchester-Western 110-grain Hollow Soft Point ammunition.

Don't buy the unvarnished balderdash that the M1 Carbine is an "ineffectual" round. Not only does logic dictate otherwise, but in the hands of legendary Law Enforcement Officer Jim Cirillo, it acquitted itself quite handily.

Point, set and match.

Last Edited:
If you think about it, the .30 carbine is sort of in the ballpark with a light bullet .357 only a bit smaller bore and a bit faster. There's no reason it shouldn't be similarly effective with a good expanding bullet. It's the loading that makes the difference.

My "gun show buddy, Al (until he died in July 2006), was a WWII Pacific theater Marine. When he went ashore on Okinawa with the Sixth Marines, he had a carbine. He hit a Jap twice in the chest and failed to stop. Fortunately, a nearby Marine had the M1 Garand and stopped the Jap decisively. Al threw down the carbine and picked up a Garand and bandolier of ammo from a dead Marine, and continued to advance. The carbine's little FMJ military load just didn't have much going for it.

I've always felt that the .30 carbine simply needed effective ammo to make it useful. I enjoyed loading for and shooting a friend's Universal, back in the mid 1970's. I still have the dies. I view the carbines as great fun, and I'm saddened that, like so many fine weapons, they have moved from "cheap surplus" to "valuable collectibles."

Shot placement with proper ammunition is important. I have discussed this subject "ad nauseam" on another Forum. The smaller and lighter bullet tends to penetrate better than the .357 S&W Magnum, and compares favorably with it when using it for hunting deer at ranges out to 100 yards. Many a Whitetail deer have been hung in the meat locker, courtesy of the .30 Carbine.

While it may not be a "big game cartridge" per se, the .30 Carbine will take medium-sized game. Larger, more powerful cartridges may be preferable in this capacity, but the old .30 Carbine "short rifle" can and has, been used to do so. The .30 Carbine is an excellent varmint rifle, and I have seen a number of feral hogs killed with the arm.

There have been many valid and verified tests of the FMJ .30 Carbine load that prove it will penetrate light body armor and frozen clothing. The Buffalo Bore FMJ tops the penetration list at 30+ inches while not exceeding the 40,000 PSI maximum pressure level of the cartridge. Incidentally, Buffalo Bore loads the a Jacketed Soft Point and Jacketed Hollow Point to the same pressure levels. While these penetrate less, they also expand both readily and with increasing energy deposit. All three loads/bullets leave an 18" barrel at a remarkable 2100 fps, while yielding 1077 foot pounds of muzzle energy. This, my friends, shouldn't be taken lightly.

From about 1954 to the early 1970's, the .30 Carbine was a frequently encountered arm in the Police lockers/cruisers as well as the hands of Correctional Officers throughout the US and Mexico. It served well in these capacities and is still capable of filling that role. The US Army's switch to the 5.56/.223 cartridge in the AR platform is the only reason the .30 Carbine was retired from these services.

The .30 Carbine has more "snort" than handgun cartridges, but not as much as the .30 Russian or the .30-30. Not only does it occupy a special place in military history, but it is an excellent home defense and "ranch rifle". Contrary to popular belief, the "little rifle" has it's own niche in the sporting world. If you understand, and address, the cartridge limitations, the .30 Carbine performs well.

I will have it next year, but it is there. I'll let you know what happens, when it happens.

If you go to The Carbine Collector's Forum (a part of CMP) you can read a review of all the currently manufactured carbines. (A/O is a "step up" from the lowest tier on the Carbine "Totem Pole" as it were).

Go to uscarbinecal30.com and look up the thread. It is more revealing than any other place on the Internet. You will find it most illuminating and helpful.

Last Edited:
I put a post in "Curio & Relics" that probably didn't belong there, so a copy and paste with my original deleted.

After looking at the CMP (Civilian Marksmanship Program) offering it looks like those guns may be in pretty bad shape, and not a great investment having to be rebuilt a bunch, pitted barrels, showing heavy use and such. I'd pass on that as a crap-shoot with $700.00. I want a shooter not a collector anyways.

I'm wondering about a new Inland M1 Carbine? Anybody have one? I read an article in Guns and Ammo on it and really fell in love with the look, and history of the original. The article stated that it's hard to tell the difference between an original and the new one. Ammo price isn't way out of line and straight wall cases are easy to reload, Star Line has brass too at reasonable prices. So are there reasons a person should not like this gun? Some might say get a Garand, I think the Garand is way neat too, but the extra weight/size/recoil is a little much, more difficult to load, and I don't shoot way out, at this point anyway.

So talk me into OR out of it!

Thanks

Mike
I gavé à Nice INLAND Id dell $700 Keith 100 rounds new ammo.:)

Shoot the darned thing and enjoy it! Never underestimate the .30 Carbine with Soft point ammunition! The Carbine (and cartridge) will kill with consummate regularity and skill. (Jim Cirillo proved this).

Quit pondering and purchase the Carbine! Trust me, he who hesitates will regret it. ;) :s0139:

Underwood has some new .30 Carbine ammo. I bought some in August and have not shot it yet. The new ammo has a Lehigh bullet called the Cavitator.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top