JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I keep waiting for this thread to end - I don't have the money to buy one of these and you guys are driving me nuts! Just watching The Monuments Men again this morning and watching these in action just makes me want one even more. Between this and a Garand, I need to get some money set aside.

Yeah if I could get the Warden on board I would get a new build from CMP of a Garand in 308, but she has not seen this M1 Carbine yet.

I had ordered and received three 30 round magazines from CDNN that are new made in Taiwan, and four ProMag 15 round Magazine made in USA from GunMagWarehouse. I am heading out next week for training and will have ammo when I return.

Regarding mags....I was told to stick to Inland mags due to the others not functioning properly by Kieth @ Keith's. Maybe that meant G.I. mags too.? I'll be curious how the Promags work, and hold off on buying extras until you report back. And if they hold the bolt open when empty.

How about a 1945 Inland paired up with a 1942 Colt 1911? And maybe it's bayonet and some GI Art?

Art 3.JPG Set 2.JPG

Regarding mags....I was told to stick to Inland mags due to the others not functioning properly by Kieth @ Keith's. Maybe that meant G.I. mags too.? I'll be curious how the Promags work, and hold off on buying extras until you report back. And if they hold the bolt open when empty.
Yes as I said I have three different magazine makers, my ProMags have the best appearance to me, followed by the Taiwan magazines. The OEM magazine looks cheap, used and less well made. But the proof is in the shooting and I want to shake those magazines down before I offer up the Carbine to the Warden (Wife) She will get foot stomping mad if it does not function properly, her idea of malfunction action is to put the gun in the trash bin.
I did try all of them dry (unloaded) in the gun and they all locked in place, and all locked back empty

Yes as I said I have three different magazine makers, my ProMags have the best appearance to me, followed by the Taiwan magazines. The OEM magazine looks cheap, used and less well made. But the proof is in the shooting and I want to shake those magazines down before I offer up the Carbine to the Warden (Wife) She will get foot stomping mad if it does not function properly, her idea of malfunction action is to put the gun in the trash bin.
I did try all of them dry (unloaded) in the gun and they all locked in place, and all locked back empty

Thanks for the reply. The mag that came with mine looked brand new, though you had to bump it pretty good to get it to lock in. It was tight in the mag well for sure. The release was quite stiff, so I oiled it and worked it about 100 times and the mag seems to seat a bit easier.

I dont see their ammo on every shelf. Especially when I was considering one. Ive seen the mags, they seem affordable.. Not sure of the quality.

So whats the final word? Did you end up getting one? :D

I've played with the new Inland carbine and I am impressed. It is a cast receiver but so what!
Get one, you wont be disappointed.
Of course they are being made by the same company that makes Hi Points!

You can still find an original carbine in decent shape for 500-700 but its rare these days. And something is always worn out on them. But then again parts are easy to find, and the carbine is very easy to work on!

How about Auto-Ordnance? Any feeling on those? I have a potential trade dropped in my lap for one at what would seem to be a good price. Since CMP is sold out for a while, maybe longer, perhaps a commercial model would be a good choice? This is a gun I don't know much about, but would certainly like one in the collection.

If you can, drop the dime on a box of ammo and take it for a test run. Then decide.

US GI models are going for $800 and up, the days of the $250 and even $400 M1 carbine are over and not coming back, so commercial models are something to consider, if GI provenance isn't crucial.

It's been my experience that the GI surplus magazines are the best, look around for a supply and tap into it for a dozen or so.

Velezy, I was going to buy Auto Ordinance but my dealer bought one for himself. I don't know what was wrong with it but he has to send it back for repair. Made me Leary, also I think it had a slightly thicker stock. If it shoots reliably would be my only worry.

Frankly, the biggest thing I'd like a Genuine GI for is as a teaching tool, so that if I get a professorship in a non-UBC state I can take my students out to the range and give them firsthand experience.

Another thing on my Powerball List: Establish range facilities at the National WWII Memorial and the D-Day Museum to offer more "Hands On Learning" opportunities. :)

If you are using a M1 Carbine for home defense, <broken link removed> has a new .30 Carbine round. I have ordered some.

How about Auto-Ordnance? Any feeling on those? I have a potential trade dropped in my lap for one at what would seem to be a good price. Since CMP is sold out for a while, maybe longer, perhaps a commercial model would be a good choice? This is a gun I don't know much about, but would certainly like one in the collection.

I have an A/O coming. Be advised, they may require a "fluff-and-buff" in order to assure positive feeding and function. Buying some good 30 round Korean and American (from Keepshooting) are a good investment for these Carbines.

Polishing sliding rails and cartridge feeding ramp is a good idea. Buying some diamond files and using cheap tooth paste to polish the ramp may be in order. (You'll be polishing out tooling marks on the feeding ramp).

If you plan on using 30 round magazines, replacing the magazine catch with an M2 type unit (available from both Keepshooting and Numrich). Clean them thoroughly after smoothing/polishing all bearing surfaces will prevent the dreaded jamming.

Buying some diamond files and using cheap tooth paste to polish the ramp may be in order. (You'll be polishing out tooling marks on the feeding ramp).

I'm a fan of Mother's Mag Polish myself. Combine that with some polishing/buffing attachments for a Dremel at low to medium speed and it can really shine up a feed ramp or help take out those finishing marks/scratches.

My A/O will be costing me $820.00, but it will be NIB. I'll be doing what you plan on doing. It will be a bit of work but using Tetra Gun and blasting everything out after polishing up the bearing surfaces will prepare it for greasing the slide and using Break Free on the trigger group should prevent a long and tedious "break in " period.

My A/O will be costing me $820.00, but it will be NIB. I'll be doing what you plan on doing. It will be a bit of work but using Tetra Gun and blasting everything out after polishing up the bearing surfaces will prepare it for greasing the slide and using Break Free on the trigger group should prevent a long and tedious "break in " period.

Sorry. I will always prefer'' Old in the box'' ;)

Last Edited:
There aren't any CMP carbines. They are all out, and won't be getting any more in, thanks to Obama.

If you want "top of the line", you can pay $1600.00 for a Fulton Armory model. If you buy a James River Armory "Rockola" Carbine, you'll shell out $1300.00 - $1350.00.

All the "mixmasters" from the US Government are costing $1000.00 +. These may require refurbishing/rebuilding.

These may cost as much as new production FA or JRA Carbines.

It is getting downright ridiculous.

GI 30 carbines are all over the place. They made over 6 million of them. So it's not to hard to locate one. You can get them on line. In stores. Or from Uncle Joe down the street.
Just like any other gun.
Anyways how many do you need? I happened to find and buy a dozen or so that were too cheep to pass up.

But If you want. You can buy a new clone. With who knows what resale value? And zero historic value or track record?
Universal 30 carbine anybody? They sold for more than GI guns once.
Now there hard to sell for $350 bucks.

GI guns have a forged machined receiver. And went through a final inspection process before being issued to somebody who's life may depend on it.

After all. If you needed warranty work on the battle field in WWII. You were probably gona die!:s0002:

Nice examples can still be found for $800 bucks or so. I just passed up a nice Saginaw Gear at Keiths for that price last month.
But like many of the 30 carbines I've stumbled across that were available to buy. It was to nice, and expensive for me. $800 will get you a super clean GI 30 carbine here in the NW.;)

I want ugly guns. Because with only 62 parts [Including springs screws and pins] their simple guns. And easy to get running. So just inspect the barrel and receiver for damage and ware.
Anything else is easy to fix. And GI parts are easy to find.

Now of the many cheep 30 carbines I did buy? All had good barrels and worked well. Some are like new.
And none of them had cast receivers. :eek:

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews