JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
OK, so I have what might be one of the last batches of Browning Challenger II pistols made. The serial comes up as a year after the time they stopped making this model, which is the last steel framed .22 pistol that they ever made. It is in near mint condition (only way you would know it had been shot is if you open the chamber), I bought it unfired and have put about 500 rounds through it.

I love it, it shoots amazingly, and very few people have one (which I like).

The problem is that I bought this to be my target pistol at the gun club. My club is indoor and not lit quite well enough for the regular iron sites on this gun. There are no replacement front sites that I can find, which is another problem with this gun (only sold for a short time and almost no aftermarket upgrades available).

So, do I sell it and buy a newer target or hunter model Browning or Ruger, make do, or keep it and save up for another rimfire I can put a fiber optic front site on?

I feel your pain. Being the nice guy that I am, I am willing to sacrifice and will give you $100.00 for the pistol. I know, I know, but I am willing to shoulder the burden of taking that sub par pistol off your hands. Sometimes, you just have to do the right thing.

Seriously, you will regret selling it. Save your pennies and buy something you will feel comfortable with at your range. On a side note, what's up with the lighting at your range where you can't see iron sights? I would ask the club to address the lighting issues, although they may not be willing to do that. If they aren't, maybe you need to look for another shooting club.

Take it easy buddy. Step away from the ledge, nothing can be that bad or worth it. Think about your future together, think about all the good times that could lay ahead! If you do this horrible thing now, you can never step back,, keep it together now, steady, steady,, just take a deep breath. For goodness sake man DONT DO IT!;)

Phillyfan, this is your mother, if you sell that thing you will regret it for the rest of your life young man. I am deeply ashamed of you that you would even think of such a thing, what would your father say? If you would stop buying all those comic books and candy you seem to enjoy wasting your money on you would have enough for another addition to your firearm collection, NOW GO TO YOUR ROOM AND THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU'VE DONE!

take it out and shoot a few hundred rounds thru it,then decide if you can let her go_Odds are,she'll be staying and you'll be saving for a Ruger.

I thought I could live without my early issue Smith and Wesson model 41 several years ago.Traded her for a more 'glamorous' model..that one is long gone and so is the 'Smith.
aah,the stupid things we do along the way.

Thanks, guys. That's exactly what I needed. Sometimes you just need to hear some voices from outside your head to believe what you already know. To the folks that were kind enough to PM me with offers for the pistol, I think I'll be keeping it unless I get an offer that is ridiculous.

You guys are awesome. I'll try to get some picks up of my little baby if any of you would like to see it.

I dab "white-out" typewriter correction fluid on all of my sights. It is really BRIGHT, as is is mostly cellulose fibers whice are each a microscopic light pipe. Try it; if you don't like it any solvent will easily remove it.

You could also bring a small clip-on lamp to the range with you, if there is an outlet nearby? Or put brighter bulbs in the existing fixtures? I used to work on the road a lot and stayed in cheap motels three nights a week---I always carried brighter bulbs with me.............................elsullo

I have a MK I Standard that when I took it to the indoor range I could no longer see the front site and this range has good lighting. Went down to the toy store and picked up some white model paint and put some on the front site. Doesn't rub off as fast as whiteout does.

Went and shot it today, had a lighter lane, and oh my gosh. I can't believe I considered selling this thing! Shooting at a rifle target at 50 feet I was putting 6 out of ten in the two inch bullseye. The best thing is I knew everytime that a shot was outside, and knew it was my fault. I'm sure a new gun would shoot just as accurately, but without the cool factor.

Stopped by Sportsman's and handled the Ruger hunter and the Browning Hunter. Have to say I like the looks of the Ruger, but the Browning felt way better in the hands (even felt like a better trigger). This might be due to the fact that it is similar to what I have. That's why you should always try to handle a gun before you buy. Based on looks, I would have gone with the Ruger for sure. Don't think anyone would be disappointed with either.

OK, so I am keeping the challenger, but have decided to buy another to shoot at the range. I don't want to wear out a collecter piece so I have decided to buy another shooter. Agree, disagree, think I am overvalueing this gun?

OK, so I am keeping the challenger, but have decided to buy another to shoot at the range. I don't want to wear out a collecter piece so I have decided to buy another shooter. Agree, disagree, think I am overvalueing this gun?

You have to ask this forum whether you should buy another pistol? Put down the pipe son. That crack will kill ya. :s0114:

Of coarse buy another gun but do you honestly shoot enough to actually wear out a pistol? I am sure some of you guys actually shoot enough to wear one out but I don't make enough money to feed any pistol to the point of it actually wearing out. Shoot away I say.
Mike

Of coarse buy another gun but do you honestly shoot enough to actually wear out a pistol? I am sure some of you guys actually shoot enough to wear one out but I don't make enough money to feed any pistol to the point of it actually wearing out. Shoot away I say.
Mike

Well, it's a .22 so I can shoot about a thousand rounds for $35-42. If it were a 9mm or .45acp, then I would go broke trying to wear it out.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top