JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My friend has a Ruger handgun and it works fantastically and never had a jam, but you just don't hear about the SR556 and I feel like I don't have adequate enough information on it.

the piston cannot be disassembled or it will void warranty as it is not user serviceable... that said, it probably really doesn't need to be messed with... if it ever fails, ruger will fix it...

there are better piston ar's out there if you must have a piston

They are better designed than most piston systems out there, the bulk of them being an afterthought. 99% of the BS you read about DI Vs Piston, is talking points for writers. Heat in the BCG isn't an issue that is a real problem for anyone you know. It also isn't an issue for most of the GI's out there. The reality is you are taking a "fouling problem" and putting it into another location. Did that "fix" anything? I suppose it depends on what keeps you awake at night. For me, it's coffee mostly.

I've built & bought a dozen AR's in the past decade. The Ruger is in the top 90% for accuracy, in the same barrel profile/configuration. It is in the top 98% for reliability.
It is expensive, however.
The piston assembly actually can be taken apart rather easily, if the process is difficult to you, you shouldn't be doing it anyway.

The piston design is the only AR I personally would ever own. Gas impingement is for the birds. The Ruger is a fine gun, but be aware that the $1099 model is stripped down. The "standard" model runs $14-1500. Incredibly reliable, very accurate. You cannot go wrong with Ruger, unless you buy an old Mini-14.

The piston design is the only AR I personally would ever own. Gas impingement is for the birds. The Ruger is a fine gun, but be aware that the $1099 model is stripped down. The "standard" model runs $14-1500. Incredibly reliable, very accurate. You cannot go wrong with Ruger, unless you buy an old Mini-14.

While I own both piston and di rifles. I think you are passing your opinion as proven fact...

There are millions of di rifles compared to piston systems and none are fool proof.. they all need cleaning and maintenance and one is heavier than the other

For full auto I can see where piston may have an edge, but for what most plinkers do, it's just added weight..

If you must have a piston, get a scar or Sig 556 where the piston is not a bandaid modification of the existing design but is actually part of the original design

Leaving aside the piston vs. direct impingement debate, the SR556 is a fine rifle, and the SR556E hits a pretty appealing price point. At 7.3 pounds, it's still a comfortable weight. A number of other piston guns weigh in around 8 - 8.5 pounds.

Leaving aside the piston vs. direct impingement debate, the SR556 is a fine rifle, and the SR556E hits a pretty appealing price point. At 7.3 pounds, it's still a comfortable weight. A number of other piston guns weigh in around 8 - 8.5 pounds.

until you get to the scar16 at 6.7lbs (at 2x the price of the SR556)...

there are some minor changes to make the sr556e cheaper... just make sure you are happy with the changes...

I'd love to try out the SCAR16 at some point, but the price was too high for me right now. Is the gun lighter than FN specs it as? FN's website lists it at 7.25 pounds.

I tried the dedicated piston design thing with a Robinson XCR. It was a beautiful, well made rifle, but I made the mistake of buying the heavy barrel version - it was too heavy for my liking. I ended up with a PWS Mk114 Mod 0, and I like it so much I bought one of the new Mod 1's with the keymod rails and removable piston. 6.5 pounds, accurate, reliable, and they both balance like a dream.

No you are correct with the weight.. I was looking at the short barreled specs..

The thing with the scar it's it uses a huge hunk of metal for the bolt... it absorbs a lot of the recoil...

I have one. Have had other AR's,
But the SR556 out performs all of them. Runs smooth, cool and clean.
Out of the box accuracy is match grade.
The only thing you need to do is install a Geissle SSA-E trigger and there are zero negatives about that rifle.
You would love it, but your wife might get jealous. Hard to put down.

I've always been pretty skeptical about anything produced by ruger. The only thing I won't argue about is their wheel guns as IMHO they are top notch.

Just about every other ruger product I've owned has been a lemon. The 556 in my experience is no exception, I didn't buy one but a buddy of mine did... the thing would regularly rip the extractor rim and not remove the cartridge case. I've worked on 20 year old M249's that were more reliable than that thing.

For the money they are asking for that thing, you can get into a lot of other very nice AR's from manufacturers with better records.

I think the only time I've ever had problem with a DI gun was running it dry in the desert when it was brand new. splashed some motor oil on it and it worked fine afterwards. However the first thing I do when getting a new AR is completely tear it apart and rebuild it to my specifications.

One more for the ruger.... And the GuysLee SSA-E is a great choice just installed mine and LOVE IT!!!!
I have the SR556 CLA model and Love It! Softer shooting than my Colt with the same load.

My buddy has the standard version and I've shot it back and forth with my Noveske. It's a great gun for sure. It's heavier, but a heck of a lot easier to clean than my DI. If you like it, buy it. Can't go wrong.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top