JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The Battle Rifle thread reminded me of this story.
My Grandmother O'Connor (Roarke) left Swinford, County Mayo, Ireland in 1912 and landed in Boston.
One of the many stories she told us was when the British rolled into town.
I would guess the year to be around 1910.

She said the only sounds were the dogs barking and what she called half-tracks.
They must have been some kind of armored car because I don't think half-tracks existed in those days.

The town was shuttered as they rolled through.
They were ambushed outside of town by what must have been elements of Sinn Fein.
My grandmother said that they captured a large supply of Bully Beef, which I think was a canned beef product that the British troops carried.
My grandmother said that they hid/buried the tins and had Bully Beef on the menu for quite a long time.

I'm not sure if my Great-Grandfather and Grand Uncles were combatants, but I do know that they were involved in the holding free elections and the protection the voters.

The Battle Rifle thread reminded me of this story.
My Grandmother O'Connor (Roarke) left Swinford, County Mayo, Ireland in 1912 and landed in Boston.
One of the many stories she told us was when the British rolled into town.
I would guess the year to be around 1910.

She said the only sounds were the dogs barking and what she called half-tracks.
They must have been some kind of armored car because I don't think half-tracks existed in those days.

The town was shuttered as they rolled through.
They were ambushed outside of town by what must have been elements of Sinn Fein.
My grandmother said that they captured a large supply of Bully Beef, which I think was a canned beef product that the British troops carried.
My grandmother said that they hid/buried the tins and had Bully Beef on the menu for quite a long time.

I'm not sure if my Great-Grandfather and Grand Uncles were combatants, but I do know that they were involved in the holding free elections and the protection the voters.

I wish I knew my fathers history. :( Grandma had a heavy accent. Dad must have been born here, 1920. I figure grandma/grandpa (never knew him) could have come to America from Hungary about the same time. Dad had two older brothers and a younger sister.

I wish I knew my fathers history. :( Grandma had a heavy accent. Dad must have been born here, 1920. I figure grandma/grandpa (never knew him) could have come to America from Hungary about the same time. Dad had two older brothers and a younger sister.
My grand parents on my mom's side were from Hungary they left and came here in the early 30s they knew something was going to be happening. In Hungary they were very well off here in the states they were dirt poor. My grandfather had a small farm and was the cemetery grounds keeper in Eureka Michigan. He died in May of 62 I was born in June. I would have liked to talk to him about the family history. When the family came over each adult that wasn't married got a different name. In Hungary their last name as I understand it was something like Zigabachi in the US it was converted to Zigmond.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top