JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Alright so my first post here was mostly in jest. Here's a less comical response.

My best friend and I go way back and we're both polite SOB's. He flew out here from Boston and promptly paid for our dinner. I got the next one. At some point we just paid separately. God knows what the tally is between us over the last 15 years. I'd give the man my last dollar if he needed it. If it's that kind of friendship - just be honest about your financial situation and ask for help. Roles will reverse some day, and reverse again!

Now, if it's like the coworker that I just took shooting...round 1 was on me. Any future trips to the range, he'll be buying what he shoots and he knows it because I simply told him that I'd take him out to teach him how to shoot, but becoming a good shot was his responsibility.

On a more playful note, if he's just a tad dense, you could always ask him to bring a stripper's worth of 1's to the range, and then have him place the stack to his left. Every time he fires a round or two, take one and put it in your pile on the right. He'll get the hint ;)

Been down this road once or twice. If it's a brand new shooter, I'll pay for the and because I know it's not gonna be the expensive stuff, nor is a whole effing going to be shot. On any other occasion, I expect them to provide their own and after a while, they'd better bring their own gun, too. None of this is cheap and I'm not a bank. Also had a friend that wanted to piggyback on my table membership I pay a bunch of money for. I'm allowed to bring guests for free. He wanted all the benefits without paying for the nevermind, so we don't go to the range anymore. Just me and I'm not concerned about saying why.

On a POSITIVE note, I got the following from my 16yr old nephew this morning. Warms my heart!

"hey uncle chris i know you talked about going shooting soon and i was wondering if saturday would work for you? if not that's fine but i just don't want to be bored all weekend "

A new shooter just may not be focused on ammo cost. No big deal. I would just bring it up before making arrangements for next trip. Same as when planning to go to dinner with a friend or colleague.

Pretty much what everyone else has said. First time can be free, after that be honest yet polite about not wanting the pick up the costs singlehandedly.

I'm not sure I would even want to associate with someone that couldn't handle honesty. If they can't deal with that, would you really even want a friend like that?

Me and a buddy brought a retired Marine who hadn't shot in decades out shooting a couple days ago.. sure as heck bought and brung his own ammo without being asked. He got to shoot about five more/different guns that we of course had ammo for.
Anyhoo, it was fun.

Generally if it's a first time shooter I bring my guns and my ammo and we shoot it up. After that if they "get the bug" they will bring their own gun(s) and ammo and I'll bring mine. During the day I'll shoot their guns and they can shoot mine but it tends to be much more even as far as who's providing what.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top