JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Expecting people to "read between the lines" never works for my. The direct approach has always resulted in less grief for me.

This is very true. It's also hard for some people to come right out and ask for money. I understand; I'm the same way. There have been times when I've expected someone to offer to chip in, and just not known what to say when they never did. Looking back, there have also been times in the past when I should have offered to chip in myself, but was too clueless to offer.

Whenever I get lucky enough to go shooting in the PNW with a friend or two, they provide the guns, and I provide ALL the ammunition, no matter what calibre it might be. That's fair. I get the chance to shoot guns that used to be mine, after all, that are verboten here in GB. They having them saved them from getting melted down, like dozens of my handguns no doubt did, means that they 'live'.

I've taken several people...out to have a bit of blast. The take-it-for-granted types. They have a great time, get to tell their friends, social media. Then next time I ask if they'd like to go again. Oh, HECK YEAH. THAT WAS FUN!! As soon as I mention they need to contribute to the expenditure, they're all-of-a-sudden broke, and cannot afford the ammo. OK, maybe next time. Bye.

People do, and will ride for free.
Just not with me, again.

Whenever I get lucky enough to go shooting in the PNW with a friend or two, they provide the guns, and I provide ALL the ammunition, no matter what calibre it might be. That's fair. I get the chance to shoot guns that used to be mine, after all, that are verboten here in GB. They having them saved them from getting melted down, like dozens of my handguns no doubt did, means that they 'live'.
@tac Any gunshops over here give you any flak about buying ammo as a non-green card-holder? For some reason I was under the impression that non-immigrant aliens couldn't buy ammo. If I was wrong, one less thing to worry about "who pays for what"... :)

The host buys it up front and I pay them at the range. No offence is committed. Being tight-fists of legendary tightity, we tend not to buy ammunition at one of the ranges we use in metro-PDX, but seeing as there is usually only him and me at TCGC we deal with it ourselves.

This is what the pistol range usually looks like when we are there........... you can see our stuff about half-way down...

1569336674222.png

I took a friend out shooting couple times and paid for ammo twice. How do I politely tell him to pay for his own ammo if he wants to go shooting again?

Here's the kicker, the second time we went shooting, I went to the store with him to buy ammo as a hint so he could see how much ammo cost he didn't even care what I spent.
Just tell him hey ammo is expensive, we are going to the store before we shoot and you need to buy a few boxes. If he is a friend he will get it and realize what a boob he has been. If he pulls the stupid move again he is not a friend and you are better off with them gone.

Sounds like it's more your issue than it is his. At least it doesn't seem to bother him. You can still give him the benefit of the doubt but that doesn't mean you can't speak with him either subtle or not and let him know if he comes again you expect him to pay.

I took a friend out shooting couple times and paid for ammo twice. How do I politely tell him to pay for his own ammo if he wants to go shooting again?

Here's the kicker, the second time we went shooting, I went to the store with him to buy ammo as a hint so he could see how much ammo cost he didn't even care what I spent.
Dyjital said:
Going to go shooting on (date), if you want to roll with that's cool, bring your own eye protection, ear protection and ammo, (if it's rifle then add targets, if only pistol include ammo only). I plan to bring (list a couple calibers) so you can have options on what we can shoot when we go.
When adding the rifle ammo, I'll include the thought for Shoot-N-See or mytargets.com to print their own depending on weather forecast. Nobody wants wet paper in the rain. For pistol if it's in woods, I don't mention targets unless they want to see their pattern as I have steel in the back of the car to shoot.

Works well enough for me when I say it.

Adults get a pass or two, kids depending on age get a couple extra passes.

My kids will supply their own but they haven't ever...

Kids who I see at the range who are learning, get as much as they want through whatever rifle/pistol I have. Get them hooked. Heck even a few guys/gals I've met at the range I'll load a magazine into the suppressed MKIII and say "Give it hell". I offer though, it's never expected. Sometimes I'm handing out the last few from a box so it's clear those are there to shoot so I don't take a partial home.

Friends are friends and I have one acquaintance who I think will want to learn to reload so he can go shooting more but doesn't have the funds to buy all the needed supplies. Now that's a different story if they load. I'll add a little to my own supply cost then give them a cost per 100 to load. Paid for up front and you carry on your way. Brass is always factored in as not replaced.

I've been around the block a few times or dozen.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads