JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I took a friend out shooting couple times and paid for ammo twice. How do I politely tell him to pay for his own ammo if he wants to go shooting again?

Here's the kicker, the second time we went shooting, I went to the store with him to buy ammo as a hint so he could see how much ammo cost he didn't even care what I spent.

Ouch! I guess if I invited the person to go shooting, I would cover the ammo. But if they said "hey let's go shooting again" I would say "I don't mind you using my gun, but you will need to buy/bring ammo." If I was using someone else's gun I would provide the ammo for both of us. Or at least kick in/offer some cash after the fact. Since it's putting "wear and tear" on an item that is not mine. Unless it's a .22 then I could probably afford to provide the ammo a time or two. :)

If he/she asks if you are planning to go again, tell them you're broke and out of range ammo. At that point you can directly ask if they want to buy the ammo, you'd be happy to bring them out.

Took a freind tuna fishin one time, was about a 100 mile trip out and back. As he was leaving he sya's "I left ya some gas mony in the cabin". After he's gone I go check and see lone $20 bill.:rolleyes: Then there is the other guy who said pull into the gas dock and I'll fill er up for ya.:p That set him back over $300. If their friends it will usually come around.
By the way this site could use donations;)

Don't ask him to go shooting. If he asks, then say, you'll take him whenever he wants but he's got to buy his own ammo.

Keep in mind a lot of people who have never shot before...or who are new to it...don't have a clue how expensive ammo is.

I always make a point of explaining to new shooters the cost of ammo...and that the next time we go shooting they WILL be buying their own ammo. Unless she's hot. :D

Just be honest. Next time you're going out shooting, tell him he's welcome to come along but he will need to pick up his own ammo. If you go to the movies or grab a beer with the guy he pays his own way for that, right? Boundaries man, boundaries.
Freedom seeds don't grow on trees.

Adults get one free day courtesy of sharing the experience the first time.

Kids might get a little more, as it's hard to expect them to chip in for ammo in 7th grade.

Much past that, I aint Fast and Furious.

I took a coworker shooting many years ago. He was recently out of the Marine Corps. I had brought along 3 loaded AR magazines. He promptly burned through all 3 and looked around, asked me where the rest of the ammo was. I told him that's all I brought for that gun, that I didn't have unlimited ammo like the Corps, and the ammo he just burned through cost more than I usually spend on a date with my wife!

Nowadays I often supply ammo for friends occasionally, but they are respectful of quantity, and I cast and reload, so a box of .45 Colt costs me just a few dollars to load. I'm not very good about asking for money, and don't mind donating some ammo, but it's an awkward situation when someone doesn't even think to offer. I think some people assume that since you don't ask or talk about the cost in advance that you must have money to burn and are naturally generous.

I think the best solution is the next time there's talk of going to the range, just be up front and tell him you're low on ammo and it would help if he could buy some before going. He'll probably get the point when he asks how much ammo to buy, and you tell him "However much you want to shoot." :)

Tell him that he has a choice........
To pay for the ammo or hold the targets.

WAIT, Wait, wait....that was a joke.

Aloha, Mark

PS.......IMHO, politely ask for a contribution.

On occasion I read of this and wonder: If he invites himself to go shooting with you simply inform him he'll have to pay for both of you for the day, ammo, gas, range fees, etc.

Easy.

If you're my guest and unable to buy ammo (like underage or Foreign National)... well, say my girlfriend or @tac and Mrs. tac, for example, I'd pick up the ammo but expect them to buy lunch, and not somewhere cheap. I won't be ridiculously overpriced like Ruth's Chris, probably not Black Angus, but unless you burned a large quantity or Very Expensive Good Stuff ammo you can probably figure on shoveling at least twenty to twenty-five bucks of coal into the ol' boiler at Applebee's or somewhere similar.

Other than that, after your second time I expect you to start chippin' in, whether through bringing your own ammo, bringing ammo money or buying the chow afterward.

...How do I politely tell him to pay for his own ammo if he wants to go shooting again?

"Friend, you have to pay for your own ammo if …"

Seriously now, if this is a friend just tell him straight.

Here's the kicker, the second time we went shooting, I went to the store with him to buy ammo as a hint so he could see how much ammo cost he didn't even care what I spent.

Expecting people to "read between the lines" never works for me. The direct approach has always resulted in less grief for me.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads