JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I started 3 years ago and got into guns a year ago. So, that is why. So that's why I said that I will likely be proactively looking for a new job (even though I love my job and the people I work with). I have not started carrying yet (my license is within a month or so, give or take a few weeks, of being issued). I hate to have to make that choice but I don't want to go against their policies, but I also don't want to be without my weapon going to and from work and there is no place to keep it other than in my backpack (I ride the bus) while at work, which would violate their policies. And darn, I got hired at a very high salary which I am not likely to get elsewhere. Such a pain in the backside!

OK so from what I have read you haven't started carrying yet, like your job and coworkers, and it would seem that the main concern is storage while at work... Has anyone ever searched your backpack? This isn't California and so far I haven't seen the wall of bullet proof glass between the customers and tellers, none of the "mantrap" entrances/exits with the metal detectors in them either so I doubt it would be detected - especially in the pack. I'm not saying you should violate their policy as that is entirely your decision, if you do go that route consider the following:

First - if you haven't carried yet I would wait till you get your permit and would probably not carry at work until I had been carrying for a month or two away from work, just to make sure you have it down and won't run into any mistakes like the several posters who have dropped their carry piece in the restroom, etc. (I nearly lost my carry piece when I got up to leave at my insurance agent's office the first week I was carrying as it was positioned poorly and sitting in some chairs would tend to push the weapon up when sitting)

Second - if you didn't ride the bus would you leave the gun in your car? If so you might consider getting one of the micro-vaults that would fit in your backpack - just put your gun in it before you go in to work. If they did search it would be much easier to deny them the code to get into the vault Kinda hard to prove whats in a box they cant get into. do you have safe deposit boxes at the bank? maybe get a larger one and put your pack in it while at work. I'm fairly sure several people store guns in safe deposit boxes.

accessbob, my situation is similar to your situation. I work in high tech, recently moving into weapons and a concealed permit, and I find myself wondering about employers. My current employer has an explicit policy against firearms in the buildings and even in vehicles parked in their parking lots.

As an aside, PM me if desired. I might be able to connect you with some people I know in the PDX area who are always looking for good people in the high-tech sector.

Peter

I would prefer to carry at work but my new job makes that less than practical. Going in and out of secure locations at both ends with an international boarder crossing in between it just isn't doable. When that situation changes, I'll consider other options.

Fortunately, I run the facility that I work at, thus make up the rules as I go along. However, I do work for someone who is not anti gun but not pro gun either, he is sort of indifferent. So, I CC when I want to. Lock it up at work. I don't wear it while working, it just gets in the way, climbing in and around machinery, as well as being in a locked up facility. So, what I do for me is also allowed for the guys I have working with/for me.
I just have to be aware of the fact that if I get called out to a certain customer, I have to leave it in the trunk.

I work at a massive tech campus in Hillsboro, OR (guess what company). No carry, no guns in parking lots. Unarmed security guards.

As far as I can tell their solution against people going postal is to give us nice raises, so I'm OK with not carrying.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top