Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Taking my chances with my employment

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by accessbob, Mar 6, 2012.

1. accessbob

accessbob Molalla, OR 2A Supporter

My employer (large bank) has strict rules against carrying weapons onsite, but I'm not willing to follow due to the fact that I (and others) are vulnerable, not only when coming and going to work, but also should anyone decide that they want to go "postal." So, I am not going to send out info regarding that, but I have a feeling that one guy may have a bit of a clue from overhearing something between me and someone else. So, I am seriously considering just trying to find something else now, instead of hanging on not knowing and if I ever needed to pull it out anyway, especially here at work, I'd be gone in a heartbeat even if I saved half the office.

So what about the rest of you? How do you deal with it? Are your employers okay with it? Or do they have a "no weapons" policy as well, even for permit holders?

2. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

I'm lucky. My boss is an NRA instructor and knows that I carry every day at work. In fact, if he hears I picked up a new gun he always asks me to bring it into the office to check it out and no, I don't work at a gun store. I work for an Electrical Engineering and Consulting firm.

3. accessbob

Let me know if you end up needing a database developer (Access / SQL Server) :cool:

4. Nightshade

Nightshade vancouver,WA Well-Known Member

carry everyday, boss don't care in fact when we go for our afternoon walk she makes sure I have it.

mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Swedish K

Swedish K SW Washington Moderator Staff Member

The last job I had where I couldn't carry had a valid reason for it... Department of Corrections - when you work inside the fence the only people with firearms are the tower guards and their version of a swat team on rare occasions. Technically the only weapons allowed are issued batons or OC. Considering the implications of what would happen if you did bring in a firearm and somehow managed to loose control of it I believe the rules to be reasonable. Note - sworn officers or persons with concealed carry permits can check their firearms in before entering the secure perimeter and retrieve them before walking to their vehicle.

6. accessbob

I wish we had a way to "check our weapons" in a secure area and retrieve them afterwards, but no such luck. As much as I love where I work and my job, I am thinking I'm going to need to find other employment before they end up finding out and ending it for me. Better to be proactive than reactive in that case I think.

7. WhyteCheddar

WhyteCheddar East of Moscow by the Willamette Well-Known Member

If you posted this from work they already know.

mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.
  8. accessbob

I doubt it. If they wanted to know they could look but I've had several hits over the years (and I mean a LOT) of sites that were blocked and I attempted to view and yet no warnings, no word, nothing. They don't spy on people but they will go back and gather evidence should there be a reason to. So I'm not worried about this here. I'm more worried by a coworker who might be anti-gun getting wind of anything. Then I'm sure there would be investigations going on.

9. snooopidydoo

snooopidydoo Medford Oregon Active Member

I work for the government highway department. Cant even have a firearm in my truck on state property... ridiculous.
    A co-worker was flagging when he was attacked punched in the face multiple times, when he got off the ground and came to, he swung at the attacker as hard as he could and broke his jaw. after almost loosing his job, he was sued for $30,000...
    So i think "no guns" is absolutely insane.. he could have been stabbed or shot.

10. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

Conceald means concealed if they want to search you just tell them get a warrent and then politely say you feel sick and go home if they decide to do it. They can not refuse to let you leave but then I wouldnt carry after that for a while.

11. accessbob

It seems that employers are not immune to the idiocy of thinking that stopping people who have been cleared by the government to carry arms (who you would be hard pressed to find examples of who have cause the problems) is going to help one iota when it comes to those who will just do what they are going to do when it comes to workplace violence, and yet there is little chance that someone can stop it in its tracks (or at least try) if they are not allowed to carry. What a bunch of freeeeekin morons.

12. Cougfan2

You can do that, but your will probably lose your job. Remember, Oregon is an "At Will" employment state. An employer can fire you for any reason they want to, or for no reason at all. Unless you can then prove some kind of discrimination, which is pretty tough, you are SOL.

13. accessbob

Yep, and since our work policies state that they can inspect any property, including personal property, while on the premises I doubt that I would get away with telling them to get a warrant. By accepting the employment I have agreed to follow their policies regardless of how intelligent, or not, they are.

14. deadeye

If you agreed to their terms when taking the job then what is your issue? Search you, vehicle, locker etc. whenever they wish and no firearms allowed would have been a definate deal breaker when interviewing. As far as an "At Will" state they still need to follow their own policies for disciplinary actions or risk a law suit.

15. accessbob

I started 3 years ago and got into guns a year ago. So, that is why. So that's why I said that I will likely be proactively looking for a new job (even though I love my job and the people I work with). I have not started carrying yet (my license is within a month or so, give or take a few weeks, of being issued). I hate to have to make that choice but I don't want to go against their policies, but I also don't want to be without my weapon going to and from work and there is no place to keep it other than in my backpack (I ride the bus) while at work, which would violate their policies. And darn, I got hired at a very high salary which I am not likely to get elsewhere. Such a pain in the backside!

16. Mason3379

Mason3379 Oregon City Active Member

The Community college I attend does not allow firearms on Campus. I pack anyway. I figure IF something ever does happen and I walk away with my life and they want to kick me out of college for saving my life.......Looks like summer break, forever! Rather have my life and no school than no life at all.....

17. deadeye

At least you have the option to look for another position while still collecting a check, that's a big plus.

18. Cougfan2

+1 It's a lot easier to look for a job when you have one than when you don't.

19. accessbob

Amen to that!

20. Kimber Custom

Kimber Custom Vancouver, WA Bronze Vendor Bronze Vendor

Am I reading this right? You're going to quit a good job that you like and pays you well because a coworker might have overheard you talking about the possiblity of breaking a policy that you haven't actually broken yet?

Are you nuts?

First every employer of any size has a no weapons policy. It's a lawyer thing and rubber stamped in every HR department.

If it's that deep of concern for you, pick up a LCP or some similar pocket gun. The only way they would know you are carrying would be if you told them or you needed it for self defense. So keep your mouth shut and quit worrying about it. And if you do happen to need it, the policy is the least of your problems; you'll want the time off from work to deal with the aftermath anyway.