JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
OK so we all talk about food guns and gas as something that you should haul with you. What about Information

Things like family photo's family documents heck even the copies of Mother Earth News that show how to build an Auminum smelting pant from an old refrigerant can and some clay.

So how do you carry all that with you?

Simple put everything on Micro SD cards ( if you use jpg format most phones can read them)

In the space of a 35mm film can using 16 gig micro SD cards you can fit around 200 cards into the film can. 200 x 16 = 3200 gigs of info. And weigh a couple ounces at the most granted not cheap at $25.00 a card

but then no one I know would have a need for 3.2 terabits of info

But maybe a couple hundred gigs which would cover all the family photos and documents titles to cars and property etc. HECK you could put detailed maps of the whole State on to less then one card.

A decent flat bed scanner can convert any hard copies to digital you can plug a card reader into a USB port and fill the cards directly from your computer.

And since you can charge a cell phone from even dry cells if need be. You just might have a use for that $400.00 iPhone after all the towers are melted.

I have kept one of our older phones to use just as a camera and card reader. Got an auto charger for it so any 12V source from a car battery to a bunch of D batteries taped together will power it. And the lithium Ion batteries last a very long time if charged up and removed from the phone.

Just some food for thought

sorry ummmm if SHTF then how long will you power your device to read all of it?
dont just read and have the mags DO IT
learn it and do it that way you dont need the information to come with you
at least some of it anyway in the PNW get a book called bradford graingers how to stay alive in the woods read it look at what you have were you will go and adapt

WOW talk about not reading what the OP was talking about.

My post was about a way to condense any type of information down to smaller then pocket size from the family photo's to your property deeds to How to info.

Just that nothing else what you do with the storage ability is up to you.

Only trying to add to the collective knowledge.

Have you practiced an appendectomy ? if it came down to saving a family members life that had to have one taken OUT NOW. can you do it? I can tell you having the info complete with videos and photo's of HOW to do ONE would sure be nice. Or any one of a thousand different things you might run into you have no experiance with.

The amount of useful info you could have in a package as small as a cell phone and a film can is amazing.

My post was about a way to condense any type of information down to smaller then pocket size from the family photo's to your property deeds to How to info.

Have you practiced an appendectomy ? if it came down to saving a family members life that had to have one taken OUT NOW. can you do it? I can tell you having the info complete with videos and photo's of HOW to do ONE would sure be nice. Or any one of a thousand different things you might run into you have no experiance with.

The amount of useful info you could have in a package as small as a cell phone and a film can is amazing.

You bring up some good points, but I think your priorities are a little off. Before you worry about complex medical proceedures and creature comforts I'd focus (first) on things like welding, gunsmithing, tanning and other basic things. Get them in hard copies, then worry about family photos and how to remove an organ.

Besides, if you (I'm guessing you are untrained at medical proceedures) attempt an advanced medical proceedure (such as surgery) you are probably going to cause more problems than solve. How can you be sure that the appendix should be removed? Do you have an Xray machine or CT scanner at your retreat? What about anethestia? Are you really going to cut into someone without any type of pain killer?

Focus on the big picture and the main stuff (food, water, shelter, security) before you worry about getting everything in flash drives for later usage.

Your head is in the right place....just need to direct it towards the more pressing matters first.

Gee's I should have known better to step into this. I give an example of what info might be nice to have in a super condensed manner and you end up giving me crap for it.

You all carry on I doubt if I'll be bothering your bullet stacking again.

sorry if you thought i was i mean it sounds great to me i have lots on flash drive as well
i just ment that some you can keep by learning to do it so you dont have to take a book

Encrypted Drives, USB drives or SD/Micro SD cards with pdf documents on them are the way I'd go, if you don't encrypt, most phones can now dowload the Adobe reader software.

For me, my aread of concern probably starts with: Birth Certs., Death Certs, copies of passports, SSN Cards, Bank statements, insurance docs., etc. If the fit hits the shan, it's likely to be local, I cannot imagine TEOTWAWKI in a short fast instance. Maybe chaos for a period of time, but not going back to the strings and sticks.

saxon

sorry ummmm if SHTF then how long will you power your device to read all of it?
dont just read and have the mags DO IT
learn it and do it that way you dont need the information to come with you
at least some of it anyway in the PNW get a book called bradford graingers how to stay alive in the woods read it look at what you have were you will go and adapt

Have you practiced an appendectomy ? if it came down to saving a family members life that had to have one taken OUT NOW. can you do it? I can tell you having the info complete with videos and photo's of HOW to do ONE would sure be nice. Or any one of a thousand different things you might run into you have no experience with.

I'm not sure what the OP's reason for keeping some of this stuff is for.
But it is a great idea.
The How to... articles with measurements and recipes will be very useful,and as MarkW spoke of,the medical things we may need.

The other is history.

If we do get into a Mad Max Thunder Dome existence,it would take decades to recover.We need to preserve some form of history also.
For our families,our children's children.

That's what we have done since the caveman got a job at Geico,I mean wrote on the cave walls.

But seriously this is a great idea.

You will need some type of solar panel hook up to make it run though.Batteries might be in short supply

Gee's I should have known better to step into this. I give an example of what info might be nice to have in a super condensed manner and you end up giving me crap for it.

You all carry on I doubt if I'll be bothering your bullet stacking again.

Spent a good part of today collecting and scanning documents. Meant to do this a long time ago, but kept procrastinating. This thread got me off my a_s.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top