JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was just looking in my safe today, trying to figure out what or how each gun I have, could be used in a rebellion or SHTF fight.

One example, I have a Remington 597 with two 10-round magazines. Now imagine that I am trying to improve neighborhood defense by handing that gun to a neighbor. Is that adequate?

I clearly need to invest more money in magazines. I might even look into 30-rounders although the reports of reliability vary all over the map. Maybe a cheap red-dot would help too; I think I have one in a closet somewhere.

What good is .22LR for defense? Well, it is better than nothing. I don't have a safe chock-full of AR-15's to hand to the neighbors. Anyway, nobody is going to shrug off a hail of .22 bullets. Many if not most attackers are not going to be wearing plates.

A couple of my .22LR guns are tube loaders. Maybe I can find or make a device that can load a tube in a few seconds. Revolvers? Speed loaders might help.

I need to look and see if I have sufficient ammo for all these guns too, and to see about storing the ammo with the gun at least in some cases to make distribution easy.

Anyway the point is, in most situations we can imagine, some of those not-so-military guns are still going to see use.

Well, on a morbid note, the mall shooter in WA used a 10/22 with a BX25 magazine.

Definitely a morbid point, but he ended up showing that a .22 is hardly a 'worthless' round. If it was all I could get to in a defensive situation, I certainly wouldn't hesitate to grab it.

That said, I saw on the news this week that just before the incident, he had tried to buy another gun (didn't hear what he was trying to buy), but the gun store employee refused to sell to him. Too bad that wasn't enough to stop him - apparently the shooting happened just a few hours later after he got his father's gun (the 10/22).

Cooper always said a single shot shotgun is best to hand out to the natives.. to even include executive protection of the most high in many countries.. in case they turn.
get a barrel a those

What good is .22LR for defense?
The Masaad used/uses 10/22s with suppressors in the Gaza Strip. 1 shot to the brain pan can neutralize most problems.
Maybe not a kill shot but 1 problem down
And I rather not have to hand someone a gun cause they don't have any.
Can they even shoot?

The mall shooter also was likely firing at point blank range or pretty close to it. From a Muslim country, whodathunkit. Clearly a screw or 5 loose. He should get the death penalty but even though it is legal here, WA has a stupid "moratorium" on it.

I look at it like this...any stand off weapon is better than nothing. Even a bunch of .22s making racket and keeping heads down would help a marksman armed with a better weapon to choose the highest threats and so forth. I would get to know if possible anyone I am handing a weapon to, however, before hand ideally.

Brutus Out

PaulB47
WHOA . . . THINK ABOUT IT . . . Which of your neighbors is going to become a hero to the powers that be by using the weapon YOU provide to either turn you in or do you in?????
"They wouldn't do that," you say. . . . I learned at an early age not to trust anyone when the chips are down!

Sheldon

I've trained with the mindset of fast and light. Correction, fast as f***, and light as humanly possible. Some might call my weapon choices "compromises", but ss197 has some nasty terminal properties. Keep in mind, 5.7 weighs nothing. 50 round mags for the ps90, even loaded, weigh less than a pmag with 30. With that in mind, also consider the majority of the encounters one might have in such a scenario. Skepticism maybe, but not all out gun fights. People generally don't want to die. It's good to have the option of tossing your long gun under your coat slung to keep things civil, but available, obviously with some foresight considering who is who and the scenario as presented. It's also nice having a sidearm chambered the same as your primary, considering your sidearm has flush 30rd mags. Caliber commonality, even if your caliber is slightly obscure, is key, especially if your caliber can be stacked and not weigh much. Ozs = lbs = wtf am I carrying = why did I skip leg day.

I get the big cartridge big boom mentality, but for me, water on hand and stealth are the #1 priority. My 'poodle shooters' take down 300lb hogs with one round (I'm always on the defense concerning 5.7), obviously not garden variety shelf ammo, but I stocked plenty. I would rather pry nothing out of my cold dead hands. M1a is pretty and all, but I like having water over a MBR.

Now, long term shtf, the name of the game is longevity. Live guys, breathing is a good thing. I won't be looking for firefights. The GF and I both rock 5.7, so between the two of us, carrying 2k rounds is cake. If we run out of 2k rounds in a few years....we have WAY more problems on our hands than a simple break down of the government, and we should probably be considering commandeering an ocean craft of sorts. Think about that. 2k rounds. Now, at the range, sure. I could piss through 2k real quick if I felt like being an bubblegum and doing mag-dumps until the RO calls me a douche. Actual life, during a wrol event, if you're lighting off 2k rounds in any sort of time, you're now engaged in what is known as early 90s Bosnia, and that sucks for all parties involved.

That being said, we also keep a 22/45 in the pack.

Flame suit activated....ready for the 5.7 hate. Just to toss some gas on the fire, I have a LWRC repr, Lwrc m6, m6sl, saiga 12, fal, few frankenf*** m4geries, some customs, etc etc. I'll be leaving quite a few solid top shelf options off of the table in order to conserve lbs.

Hate time.

I've trained with the mindset of fast and light. Correction, fast as f***, and light as humanly possible. Some might call my weapon choices "compromises", but ss197 has some nasty terminal properties. Keep in mind, 5.7 weighs nothing. 50 round mags for the ps90, even loaded, weigh less than a pmag with 30. With that in mind, also consider the majority of the encounters one might have in such a scenario. Skepticism maybe, but not all out gun fights. People generally don't want to die. It's good to have the option of tossing your long gun under your coat slung to keep things civil, but available, obviously with some foresight considering who is who and the scenario as presented. It's also nice having a sidearm chambered the same as your primary, considering your sidearm has flush 30rd mags. Caliber commonality, even if your caliber is slightly obscure, is key, especially if your caliber can be stacked and not weigh much. Ozs = lbs = wtf am I carrying = why did I skip leg day.

I get the big cartridge big boom mentality, but for me, water on hand and stealth are the #1 priority. My 'poodle shooters' take down 300lb hogs with one round (I'm always on the defense concerning 5.7), obviously not garden variety shelf ammo, but I stocked plenty. I would rather pry nothing out of my cold dead hands. M1a is pretty and all, but I like having water over a MBR.

Now, long term shtf, the name of the game is longevity. Live guys, breathing is a good thing. I won't be looking for firefights. The GF and I both rock 5.7, so between the two of us, carrying 2k rounds is cake. If we run out of 2k rounds in a few years....we have WAY more problems on our hands than a simple break down of the government, and we should probably be considering commandeering an ocean craft of sorts. Think about that. 2k rounds. Now, at the range, sure. I could piss through 2k real quick if I felt like being an bubblegum and doing mag-dumps until the RO calls me a douche. Actual life, during a wrol event, if you're lighting off 2k rounds in any sort of time, you're now engaged in what is known as early 90s Bosnia, and that sucks for all parties involved.

Flame suit activated....ready for the 5.7 hate. Just to toss some gas on the fire, I have a LWRC repr, Lwrc m6, m6sl, saiga 12, fal, few frankenf*** m4geries, some customs, etc etc. I'll be leaving quite a few solid top shelf options off of the table in order to conserve lbs.

Hate time.
Are you Gunkid?

Hahaha I just googled it. The f***ing mall ninja lolol. Completely forgot about that, classic.

No man, just a paramedic that likes stargate guns and zombies.

Had a friend over a couple weeks ago and he brought his 5.7. I set up some targets and we shot a few mags. Swapped guns a couple times. He liked my .45 1911 and I liked his 5.7 – each has benefits.

I like the idea of lightweight ammunition for long treks. .45 rounds in bulk is heavy.

A guy in sequim carries the 5.7 pistol with 3 extra mags
And drives an old chevy truck. You'd never know he armed to the hilt
But I doubt I will ever empty a second mag out of my 1911 10mm. I doubt I would ever do that in pugetropolis either. But I did carry a lot of ammo over there.
I think the 5.7 is fine,just like a 22 mag or lr if that's what you shoot best.
Problem with any lighter caliber is that guy with an ounce of chemicals in him,that doesn't care if he dies or not, needs a heavy blow to understand he's been hit

45acp is waaaaaay too heavy. I don't see the purpose of carrying large amounts of it. For a sidearm and a couple of mags, okay. It's not my cup of tea, but I won't argue.

But for carrying large amounts of ammo for preparation for anything that may come, it is hard to beat 223 or other fast&light rounds like that.

Hate time.

Wow, I don't hate the 5.7 at all! I'd like to have a couple of them and suitable ammo levels! In fact, if I was gainfully employed and not on a fixed income I would have a pair now!:D
However, don't forget that M-1A's aren't just pretty! They can pop a target at 800m and harvest they're food, gear and weapons!
It takes all kinds to make a survival or warfare! :cool:

One example, I have a Remington 597 with two 10-round magazines. Now imagine that I am trying to improve neighborhood defense by handing that gun to a neighbor. Is that adequate?
I just took my own inventory of firearms utility and have decided I am moving next door to PaulB47 and will become his neighbor as my SHTF prep. :p

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top