Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Taking cub scouts antler shed hunting-Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Northwest Hunting' started by markpeters1970, Feb 22, 2013.

1. markpeters1970

markpeters1970 PNW Active Member

Hey guys,

I am relatively new to the Portland area and would like to take a group of Cub Scouts out for a hike in a area that they may find antler sheds. Anybody willing to provide suggestions?

Thanks
    Mark

2. Navman

Navman Canby Oregon Active Member

Hey Mark

Growing up in Northern Michigan it was a rare find, because the porcupine's and rodent's ate them for the calcium.

3. daiello91

daiello91 NW Oregon Active Member

Question; Do you deer hunt?

4. tallfoo

tallfoo Oregon New Member

That sure would be a great experience if the kids were successful. However, if the whole purpose of the trip is looking for antler sheds, you are most likely to have a lot of sad cub scouts at the end of the day.

Unfortunately I don't know anywhere around Portland. There aren't many deer in the Portland area and any sheds are likely to be found by day hikers. You could try the coast range.

5. markpeters1970

markpeters1970 PNW Active Member

I know this would be difficult, I do hunt but not in Oregon, still do my hunting in Montana. Anything for my scouts would be great, just want to get them in the woods and an interesting adventure.

6. daiello91

daiello91 NW Oregon Active Member

The reason I ask is because I would have suggested you just hike the trails of areas you hunt and know, but since you don't hunt Oregon that's out of the question.

7. STNOSU

STNOSU Corvallis Member

Thanks for the idea, I have some of the boys in my Tiger Den that need to do a hike for their badge. If anyone has any ideas for somewhere close to Corvallis let me know.