JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys,

I am relatively new to the Portland area and would like to take a group of Cub Scouts out for a hike in a area that they may find antler sheds. Anybody willing to provide suggestions?

Thanks
Mark

That sure would be a great experience if the kids were successful. However, if the whole purpose of the trip is looking for antler sheds, you are most likely to have a lot of sad cub scouts at the end of the day.

Unfortunately I don't know anywhere around Portland. There aren't many deer in the Portland area and any sheds are likely to be found by day hikers. You could try the coast range.

I know this would be difficult, I do hunt but not in Oregon, still do my hunting in Montana. Anything for my scouts would be great, just want to get them in the woods and an interesting adventure.

I know this would be difficult, I do hunt but not in Oregon, still do my hunting in Montana. Anything for my scouts would be great, just want to get them in the woods and an interesting adventure.

The reason I ask is because I would have suggested you just hike the trails of areas you hunt and know, but since you don't hunt Oregon that's out of the question.

Thanks for the idea, I have some of the boys in my Tiger Den that need to do a hike for their badge. If anyone has any ideas for somewhere close to Corvallis let me know.

The coast is too thick to shed hunt with little ones.That said the sheds i have found have been on the side of the road. Most ppl that have succes every year are lifers and they know exactly where to look or have access to privateland where the elk winter. Having said that its still fun to try, it takes luck over here. Check out youtube there are some good tips on there.

I have no idea for areas anywhere near Portland. But, when my kids were little, I used to "salt the mine" a little. I placed a few old sheds around, then led the kids into the vicinity. It was a hoot. They were clueless and really excited when they struck gold. When my son was about 10 and we were deer hunting, we stumbled upon a matching blacktail 3-pt set on the ground. I looked him in the eyes, then down at the sheds, then the eyes, the sheds, then... Finally, he got the picture and excitedly "found" them. :s0053:He still has those sheds tied together for rattling horns.

Just relying on luck, finding sheds is a long shot. I spend more time in the National Forest than most folks and my buddy and I have numerous game cameras out and about and have several bucks on video. I've probably invested 20 hours in shed hunting this Spring and have only found four sheds. Two of them were together.

ETA: OUCH! How did I sucked into a 9 year-old thread? C'mon maaaaaaaaaaaaaan. Those Cub Scouts are neurosurgeons by now.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top