JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
"The common definition of justified use of lethal force does not have a long list of caveats where people with specific medical conditions have a different set of rules... "

True, however certain medical conditions mean that an assault that would not cause death or GBH to one person would be life threatening to someone else - Not a different set of rules but a different set of applicable conditions. A punch to the chest that would not rise to the GBH level of threat in my 20s would be such now.
Predators, whether animal or sub-human are adept at recognizing the most likely prey. I have no doubt that to a predator I look like a 3-legged wildebeest does to a lion, so paying attention is required. Being aware of your surroundings is the first thing you can do look like a poor candidate for assault.

"The common definition of justified use of lethal force does not have a long list of caveats where people with specific medical conditions have a different set of rules... "

True, however certain medical conditions mean that an assault that would not cause death or GBH to one person would be life threatening to someone else - Not a different set of rules but a different set of applicable conditions. A punch to the chest that would not rise to the GBH level of threat in my 20s would be such now.
Predators, whether animal or sub-human are adept at recognizing the most likely prey. I have no doubt that to a predator I look like a 3-legged wildebeest does to a lion, so paying attention is required. Being aware of your surroundings is the first thing you can do look like a poor candidate for assault.

I'm not sure what the argument is here - if a person can reasonably believe they are going to suffer eminent severe harm than that's regardless of whatever medical conditions they may have.

If a five-year-old comes at me with a baseball bat it is not the same as if a 25 year old comes at me with a baseball bat.

If someone has a medical condition that would make normal non-lethal violence into lethal violence then that could be articulated as a reasonable belief that they needed to defend themself with lethal force.

I'm not sure what the argument is here - if a person can reasonably believe they are going to suffer eminent severe harm than that's regardless of whatever medical conditions they may have.

If a five-year-old comes at me with a baseball bat it is not the same as if a 25 year old comes at me with a baseball bat.

If someone has a medical condition that would make normal non-lethal violence into lethal violence then that could be articulated as a reasonable belief that they needed to defend themself with lethal force.
Seems to me if you can articulate a credible threat to life and limb you've got a good shot. I'm assuming a reasonable judge/jury, which may not always be the case.

This.

Stands to reason that your own knowledge of your condition is what will shape your response to any given defensive situation. And that's what will have to be part of your conversation with the prosecuting attorney. The condition will be a matter of medical record; seems to me that you don't have to get a note from the dr. beforehand.

This thread has been thought provoking for me. I've been on anti-coagulants since last Christmas. At present, on Eliquis. I've gotten small cuts from time to time, they don't bleed all that much. I don't bruise easily but just this afternoon I got a little purple spot on my arm that wasn't there this morning. Got poked by a broken-off branch stub on a cypress tree.

My doctors told me the potentially greatest threat brought about by the use of anticoagulant medicine was major trauma. In my case, because I don't have a bunch of other attendant medical issues going on. They suggested a car accident would be the most likely thing that would bring on a potentially fatal situation. I am going to get some of the precautionary first aid stuff mentioned earlier in this thread, just in case.

Because I take blood thinners I'm more susceptible to trauma than most. It's the reason my Doctors have told me not to participate in Martial Arts, mountain biking, rock climbing, etc. Is there any aspect of this where it changes the use of force from a self defense perspective for me, since being hit even once can be more deadly to me than your average person.
I'd say yes. If you were a small female attacked by a large male and responded by shooting him, A jury would take the facts of size and gender into account. Likewise if you are old being attacked by someone young. Seems to me that any vulnerability that increases the risk to you would be similar.

By the way, vitamin C is also a blood thinner.

I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV.
Those with issues of vascular fragility might want to try Rutin or bioflavinoids with Rutin. I have seen it help people with easy bruising and varicose veins.
As with anything, do your own research.

Nope. They are great for plugging gun shot wounds. Pack in a tampon then apply a dressing. But if you have celox or quickclot infused gauze, that is better.
I took a Stop the Beed course a while back and an ER Nurse told us that Surgeons do not like that. They showed us how to poke a bunch of gauze into the wound. Quickclot is super effective but apparently it's only appropriate when gauze is not working. When they remove Quickclot or a tampon in the ER, which they will have to do, the patient is very likely to start bleeding all over again. Addressing the bleeding will delay their work on the patient's other, possibly very pressing issues. Both of these options are still way better than nothing, just not as good as the old reliable giant roll of gauze.

Have to pop those pills; doctors, nurses have told me any bump on the head is a trip to the hospital for xrays, etc. DO NOT DRIVE! Now have to consider how close to let others get near me. This redefines self defense.

Foreverlost,

Nope. They are great for plugging gun shot wounds. Pack in a tampon then apply a dressing. But if you have celox or quickclot infused gauze, that is better.
I would suggest researching that. I used to think the same thing until I was put through a medical course. Tampons are not suggested at all. In fact all medics, corpsman and doctors will say the same. They don't stop bleeds. Simply absorb it and do more damage on removal. You want to find the bleed with your index finger and pack the wound with gauze. Keeping pressure the entire time while adding more gauze. Then apply the wrap. It's amazing how much gauze you can apply in a single bullet wound.

I took a Stop the Beed course a while back and an ER Nurse told us that Surgeons do not like that. They showed us how to poke a bunch of gauze into the wound. Quickclot is super effective but apparently it's only appropriate when gauze is not working. When they remove Quickclot or a tampon in the ER, which they will have to do, the patient is very likely to start bleeding all over again. Addressing the bleeding will delay their work on the patient's other, possibly very pressing issues. Both of these options are still way better than nothing, just not as good as the old reliable giant roll of gauze.
Thank you.

The whole thread is TLDR. If you draw and/or use your firearm, just assume you will be arrested, likely charged and may get indicted. Be ready for that, have a good lawyer on speed dial and act accordingly to what you feel is right for you in the particular situation.

This also applies: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eggshell_skull

And don't forget the civil suits that will follow and drain all your assets...

The (recently retained) family's lawyer at a news conference with the news media:

"Johnny didn't intend to harm or even hurt that man. He didn't have to be murdered over this."

Aloha, Mark

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads