JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Because I take blood thinners I'm more susceptible to trauma than most. It's the reason my Doctors have told me not to participate in Martial Arts, mountain biking, rock climbing, etc. Is there any aspect of this where it changes the use of force from a self defense perspective for me, since being hit even once can be more deadly to me than your average person.

I've known people on blood thinners, and the simplest nick is no joke, even some skeeter bites you can get near those lakes up in the Cascades. Hope I don't end up on coumadin or something because I'm very active outdoors and always have at least a couple scuffs healing up, especially on my shins from hiking, mountain bikes, climbing over stuff I shouldn't, etc.

I don't go shooting or camping without a basic first aid kit. It occurs that I should probably add some sort of quick acting wound sealer to my collection of alcohol, ibuprofen, aspirin (great for strokes, but also a blood thinner BTW), neosporin, bandaids, bandages, pads, tape and paracord.

Here's a link to the first thing I saw when I looked for 10-15 seconds:

I'd recommend googling for ideas to bounce off your doctor or nurse practitioner.

Last Edited:
You alone can best answer your question. We shoot in self defense out of fear for our lives. Has your level of fear increased as a result of taking blood thinners? If yes, than your response to a dangerous or deadly threat has changed. Now a bloody nose may endanger your life whereas before blood thinners it would have been far less threatening. You shoot to,preserve your life. You will know best when it is threatened.

Keep an H&H wound seal kit handy. You can find then on ebay. Walmart, Walgreen's etc., also sells Quik Clot brand clotting gauze. However, if your doc is going to prescribe blood thinners, get his/her advice on first aid.

You need to look up what blood thinner you are on. I have been on thinners for 5 years. Got hit in the head with a 2x4 took 9 stiches. Yes it bleed good but stopped right a way. Normal external wounds are not real bad its the deep stuff you need to worry about. I carry a box of bleed stop and gaze and lite day pads and three feet of lite cord, Don't worry to much about it but be careful.

I've known people on blood thinners, and the simplest nick is no joke, even some skeeter bites by those lakes up in the Cascades. Hope I don't end up on coumadin or something because I'm very active outdoors and always have at least a couple scuffs healing up, especially on my shins from hiking, mountain bikes, climbing over stuff I shouldn't, etc.

I don't go shooting or camping without a basic first aid kit. It occurs that I should probably add some sort of quick acting wound sealer to my collection of alcohol, ibuprofen, aspirin (great for strokes, but also a blood thinner BTW), neosporin, bandaids, bandages, pads, tape and paracord.

Here's a link to the first thing I saw when I looked for 10-15 seconds:

I'd recommend googling for ideas to bounce off your doctor or nurse practitioner.

"

CVS.com® is not available to customers or patients who are located outside of the United States or U.S. territories. We apologize for any inconvenience.

For U.S. military personnel permanently assigned or on temporary duty overseas, please call our Customer Service team at 1-800-SHOP CVS (1-800-746-7287) if you need assistance with your order."

meh, all I know is they work, but do not let them get anywhere near eyes...

"

CVS.com® is not available to customers or patients who are located outside of the United States or U.S. territories. We apologize for any inconvenience.

For U.S. military personnel permanently assigned or on temporary duty overseas, please call our Customer Service team at 1-800-SHOP CVS (1-800-746-7287) if you need assistance with your order."

meh, all I know is they work, but do not let them get anywhere near eyes...

Like I said, that was just one 15-second scan. Perhaps Amazon? Others? Someone stateside can maybe get it and mail it? I've sent tons of stuff to my sons over the years when they were deployed in some pretty remote places..

Last Edited:
Say it this way.....

I'm not a lawyer nor do I play one on TV and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

So then.....IMHO......
If you're asking if you get a pass to use deadly force (or to even brandish a deadly weapon) under the circumstance that you're in fear of a "punch to the face", due to your taking blood thinners?

The simple answer would be.....

Probably not or even a strong "NO".

Well.....you'll have to sell it to the jury if it gets that far.

Note that even pulling a firearm (brandishing) to ward off an attacker is still a dicey situation.

Hint: The saga of Michael Strickland should be studied.

Additionally....note what happened to Andy Ngo. It's not, likely that he will be seeing JUSTICE. You know...... because it happened in Portlandia. Notice how the news media has portrayed Ngo as an agitator? Rrrrright......to play with the sympathy of the public and creating a favorable narrative......has a lot to do with JUSTICE today. Some might even say/claim that the attack on Andy was justifiable.

Rrrright.....and they could be seated (hidden) on a jury if it got that far. Cough, cough.....

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
You need to look up what blood thinner you are on. I have been on thinners for 5 years. Got hit in the head with a 2x4 took 9 stiches. Yes it bleed good but stopped right a way. Normal external wounds are not real bad its the deep stuff you need to worry about. I carry a box of bleed stop and gaze and lite day pads and three feet of lite cord, Don't worry to much about it but be careful.
And I suppose like everything else it's different for different people. I had dental surgery while on blood thinners. It took me longer than usual to stop bleeding but it did stop, no ER visit.

Because I take blood thinners I'm more susceptible to trauma than most. It's the reason my Doctors have told me not to participate in Martial Arts, mountain biking, rock climbing, etc. Is there any aspect of this where it changes the use of force from a self defense perspective for me, since being hit even once can be more deadly to me than your average person.
I don't know but I have touretts so I'm covered.

I used to think I was fortunate because even after a semi-deep cut that many might require stitches for, I could stop bleeding with compression or by pinching cut shut for a few minutes clotting the injury. Little did I know, this was due to several different blood factors I had, until after I had to have Aorta/bi- femoral artery bypasses 3 times due to repeated return and rapid re-closure of blood flow to.my body in both legs.The Aorta is the largest blood vessel.in your body having the approximate diameter of a quarter. The easy fix was to.keep me on very large in doses of blood thinners which vastly increases my clotting times and has prevented problem from returning since. The trade-off was in order to elevate the clotting times enough.to stop the severe clotting problem, I now bleed very easily and am at very high risk if injured and a moderate injury to others might kill.me. Depending on the severity of your risk factors you may be completely justified in defence of yourself against eminent physical attack. Unfortunately, many uber- liberal anti-gun people don't believe you have the right to defend yourself under any circumstance and you put yourself at extremely high risk legally if you do.
Trial by jury is very precarious, and based upon my previous experience serving as a juror I believe it's very possible an overzealous anti-gun prosecutor could convince a jury that you overreacted resulting in you serving a prison sentence . This is based on my observations that many of the juries I served on had many people that weren't exactly the sharpest tacks in the box, easily swayed,driven by their own personal agendas or beliefs irregardless of facts or lacking common sense.in an urban liberal environment, odds are the jury that decides your fate may be filled many ,or even a majority , of these dimwits. Weigh the risks carefully and accordingly before taking action( not always possible when forced to make a split second decision to defend yourself from attack) as even though you may prevail and avoid being declared guilty, you are still sure to be saddled with the huge costs of your legal defense. My personal choice is I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6 ( jury vs pallbearers).

I had been on Coumadin for a few years and had to make a half dozen trips to the ER just for nose bleeds, then got switched to Pradaxa (Made me noticeably more Irritable for two or three months) I praise the day we made the switch. Never a bleeding problem since, I need it for Atrial Fibulation. however that's spelled.. I take a Baby Aspirin. too

I am a 5th degree black belt in tae kwon do with 25 years in martial arts. Cuts from martial arts stand up are super rare. I would not think that the blood thinner issue is a big issue from a bleeding perspective in tkd; just do not do any board or concrete breaking and I'd think you would good to go. Maybe there is more to your medical condition than a cut and bleeding? Lots of martial arts adults take blood thinners for cvd issues. Maybe visit with a sports medicine doctor that knows martial arts and reviews your chart. If the issue is receiving bruises are critical medical issue, then, that is different. Then maybe try tai chi?

How old are you

I am a 5th degree black belt in tae kwon do with 25 years in martial arts. Cuts from martial arts stand up are super rare. I would not think that the blood thinner issue is a big issue from a bleeding perspective in tkd; just do not do any board or concrete breaking and I'd think you would good to go. Maybe there is more to your medical condition than a cut and bleeding? Lots of martial arts adults take blood thinners for cvd issues. Maybe visit with a sports medicine doctor that knows martial arts and reviews your chart. If the issue is receiving bruises are critical medical issue, then, that is different. Then maybe try tai chi?

It's not just external bleeding the docs warn me about. It's INTERNAL bleeding they are most concerned about. Athletes like football players sometimes die after a tackle, due to internal bleeding that is not noticeable.

I've struggled with just a simple little cut on mu knuckle where bled profusely as if I had cut my finger off. I did this on a shower curtain rod while hanging it up...

I also suffer from nose bleeds now that are pretty bad. My INR is high, due to multiple unprovoked clotting attacks they like it thinner than the usual dose.

It is definitely something that worries me as far as being assaulted. What is a normal assault to some, is a much higher probability of killing me.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top