JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was thinking about going to the gun range up in Snohomish County (near bridge of the gods), but I am an Oregon resident. Are there any legal issues (appropriate storage, registration, etc) with being an Oregon resident while carrying firearms into Washington? I am not CHL, I am not trying to Conceal Carry, really I am not trying to open carry for that matter, I just would like to target shoot and go home. Just curious. Thanks!

it is quite common. gun has to be not concealed, or unloaded and stored in the trunk or a locking metal box, something like that.

You should google interstate transportation of fire arms.

it is quite common. gun has to be not concealed, or unloaded and stored in the trunk or a locking metal box, something like that.

You should google interstate transportation of fire arms.

The "or" is a problem. Yes, in OR one can carry it openly, but not in Portland, and both interstates go through Portland. If it is in the trunk, it really doesn't matter what condition it is in...in both states if I'm not mistaken.

Just make sure it is inaccessible to the driver. And don't give a LEO permission to search your car (or reasonable suspicion of something) and it won't be an issue.

My legal opinion is worth what you paid for it, though.

Ideally you are correct. Don't give them cause. In a world with common sense, I would hope, not readily accessible is a good enough standard. But you never know... I would plan on carrying a handgun in the trunk, in a locked box unloaded. The rifle would be in the trunk, unloaded, no bolt installed. I would think this would be enough. Here comes the other issue though, what is the definition of a trunk? What about in a Scion Xb or a PT Cruiser type vehicle, where it is sitting behind the rear seat, but half the seat is folded to accommodate the rifle? It is out of reach, but is it in a "trunk". I wish states would have common rules and regs. Thanks for listening to the vent!

unloaded in a case and not in the immediate reach of the front passenger compartment if trunk is not an option.

<broken link removed>

Last Edited:
unloaded in a case and not in the immediate reach of the front passenger compartment if trunk is not an option.

We went over this in another thread for about 5 pages.
If you don't have a Washington or acceptable Conceal carry permit (piss off on what I called it) Utah,etc.,the gun cannot be loaded.It can ,however be in the front compartment and within reach of the driver.
Handgun or rifle.
Loaded means ammo in the tube,cylinder,mag(if locked in place in the gun),clip.You can have loaded mags in the front with you also.

But for poopies and gigles,how about drive the speed limit and put the gun in the trunk?
Or at least out of site.

(see carrying a carbine in the car,I think)

WA has no supper funny laws about transporting Firearms. Just make sure they are unloaded, that is it. You can have a gun laying on your seat with a loaded mag laying next to it legally.

I assume you are not talking about NFA stuff either. In WA SBR/SBS/FA is not legal so even if you have them legally in OR you can not bring them to WA and shoot.

Here are the WA laws, http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41 They are fairly short and to the point. If you plan on heading this way you should read them so you at least have an idea.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top